Wallet activation discussion

tulo

12 minutes ago, tulo said:

Can @karlos or someone with access to the IPs check if the requests are not coming from the same or a few accounts?

Thought about that. But think is just because of the recent raise of Ripple awareness.

because the activation xrps are locked there and they can't withdraw them. Can't see how it can be gamed 

1 minute ago, seve7ete said:

Thought about that. But think is just because of the recent raise of Ripple awareness.

because the activation xrps are locked there and they can't withdraw them. Can't see how it can be gamed 

Only 20 XRP are locked as reserve (plus 5 per "objects" in the ledgers, such as lines...)

Why fund wallets?

If you send them 20 XRP, they won't have enough to add a trust line and deposit an IOU. And if you want to deposit an IOU on the Ripple network you probably have to be KYC on a gateway and you will be able to fund your wallet yourself. If you send them more than 20 XRP, you don't know if same guy won't ask several times. Gatehub has at least some protection against this.

The message we should give:

You can convert any crypto to XRP and send it to your Ripple wallet it will activate it (because I think some people don't understand this).

It looks like even this small XRP amount might be enough for some trying to game the activation efforts. Couldn't this be resolved by having a mandatory activation amount that INCLUDES enough (30?) XRP and for the activation, and for one trust line and for one transaction. Being an inclusive amount it should not be possible send none of those 30XRP to another wallet and therefor they cannot be not gamed, but are just enough to bootstrap basic trading on a wallet. Like it is now, one needs 20 XRP for activation and 10 more XRP for and trust and first tx. This 10 XRP can be transferred and collected on another account leaving the activated with just 20 XRP. It's peanuts for a gaming activity but in some countries people can buy some food with a few XRP....

Edited by kanaas

19 minutes ago, namini said:

or maybe I'm missing a point here.

Can you for example transfer XRP from (let's say) Poloniex to a non-activated wallet?

Not sure.

Yes you can...also shapeshift, super easy if you have any crypto.

EDIT: shapeshift doesn't have XRP anymore :o...super strange

Edited by tulo

13 minutes ago, kanaas said:

It looks like even this small XRP amount might be enough for some trying to game the activation efforts. Couldn't this be resolved by having a mandatory activation amount that INCLUDES enough (30?) XRP and for the activation, and for one trust line and for one transaction. Being an inclusive amount it should not be possible send none of those 30XRP to another wallet and therefor they cannot be not gamed, but are just enough to bootstrap basic trading on a wallet. Like it is now, one needs 20 XRP for activation and 10 more XRP for and trust and first tx. This 10 XRP can be transferred and collected on another account leaving the activated with just 20 XRP. It's peanuts for a gaming activity but in some countries people can buy some food with a few XRP....

@JoelKatz

What's your take on it?

The XRP community (XRPChat, XRPTalk, Ripple forums and Ripple Reddit) has a long history of activating wallets with a small amount of XRP. Please leave this thread for new users who need activation help or advice. I'll be splitting this discussion into a new thread.

We need Video Tutos for the new users, although I'm techy guy and a business one, I was feeling delirious trying to use Ripple!!!

I had enough money for few investments, yet had no heck of an idea how to activate my wallet, didn't even understand the reserve issue, and Karlos and an anonymous guy activated mine, and from there I discovered a whole new world, and discovered Gatehub as well and that unlocked more access to me, and brought two more friends to Gatehub and it took them more than 2 days to get it activated, although I don't know how long exactly I told them to get on this forum and check with the Gatehub crew, and I found it strange, because they were UK based, and mine was approved in about 2 hours of less, but theirs took way longer.

The XRP community is more different than any other one, because the majority of cryptos are either pretty much Nerdy or very young and very enthusiastic about their coin, so they do everything possible legal or not to get their project up, pump it, dump it, hype it, FUD it if necessary, create Apps around it, pay from their pockets in Faucets, bounties, competitions, spread hoaxes, sell themselves in any way possible.

On the other hand, the XRP community are the gentlemen of Crypto with lots of pride and strategy. Most of the people coming on board are the one who have checked/studied or analyzed the whole Ripple thing and believed in it and the tech behind it, and also believed sooner or later XRP will prevail, so they just feel lazy or too high to look as if they act in a cheap way to help the value rise, nevertheless, we need Youtubers, Bloggers, Authors and others to enrich the search engines by keywords such as Ripple and XRP, just google Dash or even Monero and Google Ripple, what you'll get? A droplet of water, that's what Ripple is to Google, although Google is one of the backers of Ripple, so go figure.

We need lots of people creating websites and forums about Ripple and XRP, where dozens or hundreds, may be thousands of users post unique content full of our beloved keywords. Just take a moment and check how many Ripple/XRP based forums are there? Only 1, that's the answer, and that would illustrate how much we're valued for marketing and SEO, and keep in mind the higher you're mentioned across Social Networks, the higher your coin gets, so it's our call guys.

16 minutes ago, Morty said:

I don't get it either. I self activated all my wallets. 

Create wallet. Send XRP to it. Done. 

Understand but like @tomxcs said, it can be a nice welcome for a new member in the community. This service by and for friends shouldn't be fade out. The only that has to be done is to find a way to avoid abuse

1 hour ago, tulo said:

EDIT: shapeshift doesn't have XRP anymore :o...super strange

I've seen this happen before on shapeshift (and was similarly surprised), I emailed support at the time, and they said it was only temporary - I think they said they were upgrading the system somehow.  Maybe this time around they ran out / couldn't keep up with demand or something?  XRP is still listed prominently in the ticker at the bottom of the main shapeshift site so hopefully it'll be back.  I would suggest anyone concerned email shapeshift support - it shows demand they're missing out on.