I cannot access XRP from old Ripple wallet file from 2017, I need help

Johnbelll

Dear all,

I had put my XRP by end of 2017 onto a desktop wallet, probably (but I am not 100% sure) from Rippex which does not exist anymore, even the link to their website is dead : https://rippex.net/.

All I have is a file named "wallet" with a string of 600 characters inside, and a password.

How can I recover them the access to my XRPs? I need to access them as quickly as possible as there is an airdrop soon.

Thanks you very much in advance for your help!

Edited by Johnbelll
typo

Your XRP are sitting happily on the XRP Ledger, not in that particular wallet. You don't have to recover them before the snapshot. The message key can be set anytime before 11 June 2021.

Now, if you can remember exactly which wallet you used to create the wallet file and password, we can go further towards getting you access to the XRP. Are you sure you didn't make a record of the secret key, a string of usually 29 characters beginning with s?

Thank for your answer. After searching in old harddisk I finally found the old not working wallet and managed to get my private key ! Now I am struggeling to find a wallet which is safe and in which I can import a private key (without making a new one like exodus for instance). Have you any advice on that ? Why I cannot find an "official" Ripple desktop wallet ?

On 12/5/2020 at 9:02 AM, Johnbelll said:

Thanks but Xumm is an android/ios app. Do you know a desktop wallet that runs on linux ?

AFAIK there is no reputable, current Linux client. Most operations on the XRPL can be accomplished with Bithomp Tools v0.5. Download the package from Github and open index.html in a browser. You may wish to use an offline, airgapped computer and a private browsing window. Transactions can be constructed with your secret key and the resulting QR code scanned by XUMM app (without needing to create a XUMM account). Or you can save the text of the transaction blob and transfer it to an online device for submission to the XRPL.

On 12/4/2020 at 8:02 PM, Johnbelll said:

Thanks but Xumm is an android/ios app. Do you know a desktop wallet that runs on linux ?

What distro are you using? I created a wallet called ihilda that uses gtk2. Its been tested on linux mint (ubuntu) and arch linux. It's still in beta. I want to test it extensively but nearing a stable release. I could compile you a pre-release binary, it would enough to set the message key. It's by far the most powerful XRP desktop wallet. 

recommended to use a newer release of linux. Mint 19.3 tricia or higher, otherwise you have to install dev version of mono. Arch linux is rolling release so no issue. 

requires 
gtk2
mono 5

I could hook you up with a .deb or a .tar

There is no official desktop wallet because ripple is prohibited from assisting or providing a wallet due to regulations. 

This is the tutorial for setting the message key with the ihilda wallet. 

I'd recommend getting a pre-release from me because lots of bugs have been fixed since last release which is a few years ago. 

I don't recommend it as the only storage for your key. You MUST make your own backup of your secret. A powerout can cause a desktop wallet to corrupt a wallet file. That goes for all desktop wallets. There's a feature to export your wallet to a pdf file with a qr code with the secret key written above which can be printed to paper. This wallet is BOSS. It's not meant to be easy, it's meant to be useful. Lots of features that other wallets don't have like sending out batches of transaction. Automated trading. 

The secret is stored in the .config folder, I recommend encrypting the secret with a password which the wallet supports. As a security measure you should never use your home folder as the default download location for your browser. Downloads should be sent to the download folder of your os

There's some settings you have set. The lastledger sequence, max fee network fee you're willing to pay. The wallet will wait until the network fee drops below the fee you've specified before submitting a transaction. 

Steep learning curve but I love it. I don't feel right putting my key into a web browser, regardless if I trust the website. keys and browsers should be completely separate. 

• 4 months later...

@rippex_installer_orbust ... yeah ... I've got versions for Mac, Windows, and Linux. I put them all in my DropBox. Send me a message with your email address and I'll share access to the folder with you. 

If ur using Mac, understand ur gonna have to manually override their security blocks via System Preferences/Security. Apple apparently doesn't much like that 'ancient' program. 

@RobertHarpool what is your email address?  May I send you what I have?  I see "The Ripple Admin Console & the Ripple Desktop Wallet, I see but cannot access.

Like the member before, I totally forgot that I purchased XRP almost 5 years ago.  Now I am completely baffled.  How do I obtain my XRP off of my desktop?  I have is the transaction identification which is extremely long and starts with eyJ.  Back then secret keys were not provided only the use of a password was necessary.  Any thoughts on how to take what I know - my password and transaction identification to locate my XRP purchase hidden, if you will, on my personal computer.

@MePlus3 Aloha :-) 

First, and most important, are you on a Mac? cuz that's all I do. I've got Linux and Windoze versions, but know very little about their OSs (Less about Windoze, and zero patience for it) 

If you are on a Mac, send me a message through XRPChat with your email address, and we'll go from there. 

19 hours ago, RobertHarpool said:

@MePlus3 Aloha :-) 

First, and most important, are you on a Mac? cuz that's all I do. I've got Linux and Windoze versions, but know very little about their OSs (Less about Windoze, and zero patience for it) 

If you are on a Mac, send me a message through XRPChat with your email address, and we'll go from there. 

Mahlo :)

Unfortunately, its a HP and I am not at all tech savvy enough to own a Mac.  LOL!

I tried https://id.ripple.com/auth/migrate but that didn't work either.  

@MePlus3 It is unclear to me exactly what your situation is. Did you have these XRP

1. On RippleTrade (a web access site to the XRPL, run by Ripple Labs but shut down years ago)? 

-OR-

2. RippEx Wallet/Console (a program on your computer that created a wallet file, created by now-defunct company called RippEx)?