100 Billion XRP - Why this particular number?

roomfactor

Does anyone have an idea as to why Ripple decided to created 100 billion XRP? Does that have to do anything with their strategy of implementing the currency into the banks? Why not 50 billion XRP or 150 billion? Is there anything in particular with this number? I would love to here everyone on this!

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=145743.80

Quote from: becoin on February 28, 2013, 09:17:14 PM

Joel, how did you decide on this number 100 billion XRPs?

We wanted to do XRP calculations internally in a 64-bit unsigned with one bit reserved to signal that it was an XRP amount and one bit free as a sign bit. To avoid having to deal with overflows inside operations and simplify the code, we didn't want to use more than 1/16th of the legal range. For human convenience, we wanted the main unit to be divisible into millionths. That set an upper limit of 2^(64-2) / (16 * 10^6) or 288 billion. 100 billion seemed the most human-friendly number within that range.

1 hour ago, roomfactor said:

Does anyone have an idea as to why Ripple decided to created 100 billion XRP? Does that have to do anything with their strategy of implementing the currency into the banks? Why not 50 billion XRP or 150 billion? Is there anything in particular with this number? I would love to here everyone on this!

4 minutes ago, karlos said:

Thanks @karlos I was hoping that @JoelKatz could tell us a campfire story on that one... I was not disappointed!  :viannen_89:

• 4 weeks later...