Sebastian

Ripple, XRP, and the Future

I do not want to discourage people from investing in XRP, but I think it is important to realize it could be another 3-5 years, perhaps even longer (or never if things do not go well), before XRP "goes to the moon."  Of course on the other hand, XRP could "go to the moon" sometime this year.  That is the interesting thing about this market.  It is very unpredictable.  :dance4:  

Here is how I view the current situation.

1. Is blockchain here to stay?  Yes

2. Are cryptocurrencies and other digital assets here to stay?  Most likely

3. Can Ripple and company transform the way money moves with XRP the same way Netflix has transformed movies and TV?  Possibly

If 1,2, and 3 end up happening, there is no telling what the future holds in terms of Ripple and XRP.  

For those of us who were old enough to remember when the Internet debuted, none of us could foresee its implications.  I remember when the Internet was primarily AOL and having a 56 kilobyte modem was considered fast.  Below is the current state of things.

infographic-domo-internet-minute-revised.jpg.52b2464228459077b8cbe24b31efa8be.jpg

Source: domo.com

For those of you who are fans of Netflix, it took them 20 years to get to their current state.

1997 – Reed Hastings and software executive Marc Randolph co-found Netflix to offer online movie rentals.

1998 – Netflix launches the first DVD rental and sales site, Netflix.com.

1999 – Netflix debuts a subscription service, offering unlimited DVD rentals for one low monthly price.

2002 – Netflix makes its first public offering (IPO on Nasdaq under the ticker “NFLX” with 600,000 members in the US.)

2005 – The number of Netflix members rises to 4.2 million.

2010 –Netflix launches its service in Canada.

2011 – Netflix launches throughout Latin America and the Caribbean.

2012 – Netflix became available in Europe including the United Kingdom, Ireland and in the Nordic Countries.

2014 –Netflix launched in 6 new countries in Europe (Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Luxembourg and Switzerland).

2015 – Netflix launches in Australia, New Zealand and Japan, with continued expansion across Europe in Italy, Spain and Portugal.

2017 – Netflix is available worldwide and now has over 100 million members globally.

Source: various Internet sources

Edited by Sebastian

I think we will see something big during SWELL... not sure what it will be but I believe it's gonna be a game changing event. My guess is a partnership. One could only hope, if it is we will be seeing high dollar before the end of 2017.

I hope Ripple is aiming a little higher than Netflix! What did they ever invent or do to improve the world?

Also the Netflix time frame just looks terrible. It took them 20 years to say "Netflix is available worldwide" when the internet had been there the whole time, streaming videos every day, worldwide?

Maybe I don't watch enough TV.

I often wonder what everyone's definition of going to the moon is. A sudden increase many times over? A few bucks? Something more than that $100, $1000, BitCoin prices?  Going to the moon just gets thrown around so much.

I guess for me it's a few hundred or more. 

Edited by MUsince96

1 hour ago, jdimstrnate said:

So in 15 years xrp will be at 185.00. emoji41.png

I do not want to turn this into a speculation thread, but $185 is possible IMO. 

7 minutes ago, MUsince96 said:

I often wonder what everyone's definition of going to the moon is. A sudden increase many times over? A few bucks? Something more than that $100, $1000, BitCoin prices?  Going to the moon just gets thrown around so much.

I guess for me it's a few hundred or more. 

I agree.  It is subjective (which is why I put it in quotes.)

For people who invested $5k in the beginning, going to the moon is probably $2 or more as $5k would have yielded close to 1 million XRP.  I bought my first XRP last month so while $2 would be great, it probably would not meet "going to the moon" definition.

52 minutes ago, elias said:

I hope Ripple is aiming a little higher than Netflix! What did they ever invent or do to improve the world?

Also the Netflix time frame just looks terrible. It took them 20 years to say "Netflix is available worldwide" when the internet had been there the whole time, streaming videos every day, worldwide?

Maybe I don't watch enough TV.

I do not watch much TV either.

What Netflix has done is remarkable in terms of transforming the movie and TV industry.  They first knocked off Blockbuster who had a near monopoly on the home video rental market.  They were then able to strike a number of deals with various content providers to offer a massive library to their customers.  More recently, they have been able to start offering original content which is not only competing with the previously mentioned content providers but also the likes of HBO and and the major movie studios.

I could be wrong, but I do not think the Internet structure of the late 90s and very early 2000s would have supported the amount of bandwidth Netflix requires.

But I agree in comparison to what Ripple might do, the impact of Netflix will not be as great.  IMO it is still a good case to illustrate that taking on an established industry, let alone changing the way in which something is distributed (whether it is money or TV), takes time.

Edited by Sebastian

8 minutes ago, jdimstrnate said:

That didnt come out right
Leaving the atmosphere = 11.00.
Space travel = 11.00 Moon = 25.00+

Do you have a time frame as well? When it leaves the atmosphere I'll see you on some tropical island :beach:

1 hour ago, Delro said:

I think we will see something big during SWELL... not sure what it will be but I believe it's gonna be a game changing event. My guess is a partnership. One could only hope, if it is we will be seeing high dollar before the end of 2017.

I'm not so sure.... of course it's an awesome line up, but looking the schedule, it's only a conference.  No big news has come out from any other conference.  Expect it to be hyping about the future, that's all

Do you have a time frame as well? When it leaves the atmosphere I'll see you on some tropical island :beach:
Oct 19th....thats my "timeframe". Lol
I dont really have one. At 11.00 it would change the world for me. From there I could leap frog into more investments and live off high passive income.

29 minutes ago, Sebastian said:

I do not watch much TV either.

What Netflix has done is remarkable in terms of transforming the movie and TV industry.  They first knocked off Blockbuster who had a near monopoly on the home video rental market.  They were then able to strike a number of deals with various content providers to offer a massive library to their customers.  More recently, they have been able to start offering original content which is not only competing with the previously mentioned content providers but also the likes of HBO and and the major movie studios.

I could be wrong, but I do not think the Internet structure of the late 90s and very early 2000s would have supported the amount of bandwidth Netflix requires.

But I agree in comparison to what Ripple might do, the impact of Netflix will not be as great.  IMO it is still a good case to illustrate that taking on an established industry, let alone changing the way in which something is distributed (whether it is money or TV), takes time.

i do think redbox helped them some on getting rid of blockbuster and other similiar chains. Not to get side tracked but video game stores like gamestop are the next to go