Can Ripple Effectively Rival Bitcoin and Ethereum in Terms of Success?

Yes. It has the potential to wipe the floor not only with all the cryptos out there but also with SWIFT. Immeasurable levels of success are possible and likely.

Wow, if you ever wondered if Bitcoin or Eth holders are afraid of XRP's potential, this article is proof!

There is still a lot of confusion regarding Ripple and their XRP token. Unlike cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin and Ethereum, Ripple is not targeting the same market.

Really?  XRP can be used better than those two as a store of value and for doing instant transactions.  Try sending BTC to any exchange and you have to wait for confirmations to trade it.  Then try sending XRP.  You can trade in less than ten seconds. 

For some reason, people still assume XRP is a cryptocurrency. It has never been and it never will be advertised as such.

This is their obviously fear-based wishful thinking.  XRP is a crypto-currency and a digital asset.  It can do much more than just what a crypto can do, which they are trying to obscure.   I smell fear once again!

It isn’t a decentralized cryptocurrency by any means.

More fear-based lies.  Bitcoin is much more centralized than XRP.   How many mining pools control way over 51 % of Bitcoin validation?  JoelKatz confronts similar miss-information here: https://pastebin.com/pZFB2Lhg 

18 minutes ago, Ylod said:

@Hodor

Great concise analysis as always!

Markets are completely irrational and here's why.

I'm not sure they are irrational. I think investors in crypto at this point are still largely a techy-dominated crowd. They see banks as old school, and hence you have the market caps of Bitcoin and Ethereum. I don't believe those types investors are going to have the final say though, especially in the face of the formidable tech that Ripple brings to the table. We want the banks to start buying XRP,  market makers, corporations, then mom and pop IRAs, and then finally maybe the techy-types will get on board. Who knows. 

11 minutes ago, Quintree said:

I'm not sure they are irrational. I think investors in crypto at this point are still largely a techy-dominated crowd. They see banks as old school, and hence you have the market caps of Bitcoin and Ethereum. I don't believe those types investors are going to have the final say though, especially in the face of the formidable tech that Ripple brings to the table. We want the banks to start buying XRP,  market makers, corporations, then mom and pop IRAs, and then finally maybe the techy-types will get on board. Who knows. 

I'd call placing some sort of "higher principle" or belief over facts and use case irrationality any day.  Also, as @Hodor correctly pointed out, the arguments these zealots (for lack of a better word) are based on FUD at best and misinterpretation and deceit at worst. That has nothing to do with rationality IMHO. If this is how a "techy-dominated" crowd behaves then God have mercy on their souls.

I do wholeheartedly agree with the statement that it is going to be somebody else who will have the final say...

3 minutes ago, Ylod said:

I'd call placing some sort of "higher principle" or belief over facts and use case irrationality any day.  Also, as @Hodor correctly pointed out, the arguments these zealots (for lack of a better word) are based on FUD at best and misinterpretation and deceit at worst. That has nothing to do with rationality IMHO. If this is how a "techy-dominated" crowd behaves then God have mercy on their souls.

I do wholeheartedly agree with the statement that it is going to be somebody else who will have the final say...

Hodor and zealot in the same sentence...LOL.  Their rationale is banks are outmoded. They could be  right. My rationale is they are not. Of course, I think I am right. :) Having a belief about the future is not irrational thought, because none of us know exactly what the future holds. 

10 minutes ago, Quintree said:

Hodor and zealot in the same sentence...LOL.  Their rationale is banks are outmoded. They could be  right. My rationale is they are not. Of course, I think I am right. :) Having a belief about the future is not irrational thought, because none of us know exactly what the future holds. 

Oh, well, we all have our moments :lol:

Not trying to be a pain, but I'd still argue the irrationality point here. If somebody believes that banks' days are numbered, so be it. But that does not provide any validity to the inane arguments which invariably contain the assumption that banks are "evil" and whatever is however connected with them must be "evil" by default. This is hardly rational thought, more like rationalization of an unfounded belief or - even better - confirmation bias. 

You are absolutely right though, the world is changing and changing fast and how it'll all end up is anybody's guess at this point. Having a belief about the future is absolutely fine, arguing beliefs over facts is a different story though.

Edited by Guest
1 minute ago, Ylod said:

Not trying to be a pain, but I'd still argue the irrationality point here. If somebody believes that banks' days are numbered, so be it. But that does not provide any validity to the inane arguments which invariably contain the assumption that banks are "evil" and whatever is however connected with them must be "evil" by default. This is hardly rational though, more like rationalization of an unfounded belief or - even better - confirmation bias. 

Well, I am sure there are some irrational investors who think Ripple is the face of "evil" and that Bitcoin will soon save the world. But you stated that the markets are completely irrational, which as I said, I don't think is the case. But anyway, tedious point. Go Ripple!

I think Ripple can very well rival Bitcoin and Ethereum. I'm only worried about two things

(1) What if ethereum for instance improves their network one day such that they can rival XRP in transaction speed and TPS?

(2) What if another company quickly develops a platform similar to XRP and markets it aggressively such that it gets more adoption?

2 minutes ago, chinedukenneth said:

I think Ripple can very well rival Bitcoin and Ethereum. I'm only worried about two things

(1) What if ethereum for instance improves their network one day such that they can rival XRP in transaction speed and TPS?

(2) What if another company quickly develops a platform similar to XRP and markets it aggressively such that it gets more adoption?

Not really worried about number 1. That'd require banks to do all the work that Ripple has done the last number of years writing code and software that is somewhat turn-key for banks. Using another platform just because another asset moves quickly doesn't make it better. It just makes it as fast. There is infrastructure at play, not just speed. 

We should all be concerned about number 2. That's how markets work and the competition isn't a joke. 

Yes  Exactly !!!! My concern is that the window of opportunity is closing !!!! We can say banks are slow adapters, we can say there are slow barriers to entry in China, we can say any number of reasons why the adoption process seems to be snailspace BUT like an intelligent member of this forum Max Entropy suggests quite firmly is that ripple's clock is ticking

why ???? Direct, live threats from smart competitors

If we keep blinking, we may not see the threat coming... my opinion only but things are moving so quickly we cannot affird to be naive nor complacent

its a jungle out there currently and their is turf wars happening as we speak ... the smartest, quickest , mist innovative will win the prize !!!! Go ripple

Edited by Bendecos
Add
1 minute ago, Bendecos said:

Yes  Exactly !!!! My concern is that the window of opportunity is closing !!!! We can say banks are slow adapters, we can say there are slow barriers to entry in China, we can say any number of reasons why the adoption process seems to be snailspace BUT like an intelligent member of this forum Max Entropy suggests quite firmly is that ripple's clock is ticking

why ???? Direct, live threats from smart competitors

I obviously don't disagree, but that's sort of like saying the grass is green and the sky is blue. We know the clock is ticking. Of course the clock is ticking. But time is relative. 

I think we all agree Ripple has a pretty phenomenal world class team behind it. But so do a lot of other groups out there. (SWIFT probably knows transfer and payments better than anyone, despite their old tech). 

The fact is we don't actually know where most of these companies are in their process so we don't really know how concerned we should be. Frankly, we won't know until it is too late. Either they'll have succeeded or not, but we won't be able to tell until well after the momentum is in a particular favor.

I am vastly more concerned about a lesser and safer technology satisfying people just enough so that they don't care about the potentailly better option. That has a history of happening. It's JUUUUST good enough so we'll use that. 

Often times the bleeding edge of technology doesn't win out, it simply moves the yard stick a little farther toward the end-zone. 

Time will tell....Hold on to your butts.