Tehol_Beddict

Transactions per second

Ripple is currently close to 12 TPS (of actual transactions, not potential capacity. That's still 1,500 and many times more with payment channels). That's way higher than the 3 to 9.5 TPS I've see in the past... Think it's a good sign, continues to grow ?

So, without starting yet another thread i was hoping someone could explain the TPS level as i'm struggling to grasp it. As i understand it the ledger? has the ability to complete up to 1,000 TPS however the number that i see when viewing the Market Performance page always seems extremely low. I don't believe that according to the image below that there are only around 3.8 transactions happening every second? I'm guessing that the /1000+ part is basically confirming what i believe in that 1000+ transactions can be processed every second. Surely there are more transactions than this taking place? I really would appreciate if this was explained in layman's terms to help me understand further. I think that the answer lies somewhere here 'Quotient of the number of transactions per XRP Ledger divided by the XRP Ledger close time' but i'm just not getting it. Thanks and peace to all!

59a0b375f092d_ScreenShot2017-08-26at00_28_45.thumb.png.7ec56512a9e950577c9ef3e815bdf2d1.png

Not sure if anybody noticed it too, but since last 2 week we have constantly > 10 transaction/second on the market performance page. I had not a single time in last 2 weeks that I saw less than 10.  So even now post-swell on this downslide it seems still that the number of transactions is quite a bit higher than in august or september.

Interestingly it not really reflects on the trady or payment volumes really.

28 minutes ago, Kloppos said:

Not sure if anybody noticed it too, but since last 2 week we have constantly > 10 transaction/second on the market performance page. I had not a single time in last 2 weeks that I saw less than 10.  So even now post-swell on this downslide it seems still that the number of transactions is quite a bit higher than in august or september.

Interestingly it not really reflects on the trady or payment volumes really.

Well, XRP is being used on xRapid now. And might have more members than Cuellix, we don't know yet. 

2 hours ago, Skippy said:

Well, XRP is being used on xRapid now. And might have more members than Cuellix, we don't know yet. 

Yeah it could be indeed Cuallix, but I saw strangely no real up-movement on Bitso volume i.e. or XRP/MXN etc. So just wondering if they currently only do micro-transactions who cumulated simply not affect the total volume of MXN.

2 hours ago, Kloppos said:

Yeah it could be indeed Cuallix, but I saw strangely no real up-movement on Bitso volume i.e. or XRP/MXN etc. So just wondering if they currently only do micro-transactions who cumulated simply not affect the total volume of MXN.

It’s been that way for a long time, though last night there was a recent drop to 4.5. Perhaps related to Ripple rolling out rippled 8.0.

Bear in mind that market orders and cancelling orders are transactions on the ledger. The metrics on number of payments, the payments volume, the trade volume and capitalization under value trends seem more interesting and relevant - yet capitalization and trade volume are limited to the exchanges they show on XRPCharts so we don’t get to see much of what’s important.

16 minutes ago, Tehol_Beddict said:

It’s been that way for a long time, though last night there was a recent drop to 4.5. Perhaps related to Ripple rolling out rippled 8.0.

Bear in mind that market orders and cancelling orders are transactions on the ledger. The metrics on number of payments, the payments volume, the trade volume and capitalization under value trends seem more interesting and relevant - yet capitalization and trade volume are limited to the exchanges they show on XRPCharts so we don’t get to see much of what’s important.

However Miguel stated clearly in his last vid by Credit Suisse that Cuallix is using Bitstamp and Bitso as exchanges, so if there are more transactions coming through via Cuallix already (not sure yet myself really), then this should reflect in their exchange charts then. Especially by Bitso its very easy to see differences due to their small volume. We will see how this goes till end of the year and if we can see a trend here. But I still wait to see Cuallix clearly in the metrics as we know which exchanges they use.

48 minutes ago, Kloppos said:

However Miguel stated clearly in his last vid by Credit Suisse that Cuallix is using Bitstamp and Bitso as exchanges, so if there are more transactions coming through via Cuallix already (not sure yet myself really), then this should reflect in their exchange charts then. Especially by Bitso its very easy to see differences due to their small volume. We will see how this goes till end of the year and if we can see a trend here. But I still wait to see Cuallix clearly in the metrics as we know which exchanges they use.

I agree that a significant increase in this statistic will be a positive development, but I have seen numbers as high as 125 that were likely nothing related to some significant real world use cases - I posted a screenshot maybe a month ago and JoelKatz gave a similar answer. There was a significant increase to the average range that we see now, which is likely positive, but no discernible pattern as to how TPS has impacted payment volume, number of payments or other telling data.

There is no clear indication as to whether TPS is meaningful or not at the moment.

33 minutes ago, Tehol_Beddict said:

I agree that a significant increase in this statistic will be a positive development, but I have seen numbers as high as 125 that were likely nothing related to some significant real world use cases - I posted a screenshot maybe a month ago and JoelKatz gave a similar answer. There was a significant increase to the average range that we see now, which is likely positive, but no discernible pattern as to how TPS has impacted payment volume, number of payments or other telling data.

There is no clear indication as to whether TPS is meaningful or not at the moment.

yeah I agree unfortunately we not yet know if the TPS are the best indicator in terms of seeing more "usage". However normally after these spikes of TPS it went always down again to < 10. But I am seeing now since 2 weeks in a row > 10, it still could be a swell-effect but I will further look here and then to see if this stabilize really > 10 mid-term which would be still a positive sign in my opinion.