Sign in to follow this  
ThomasTheTGV

Minds.com as an alternative for facebook?

Searching for an alternative for facebook I've stumbled upon minds.com

It's an open source social networking service, which is known for it's transparency and privacy. It allows the sharing of photos and videos and includes full end-to-end encryption and asymmetrically encrypted chat messaging with private passwords. I've tried Diaspora in the past but that didn't really catch on in my 'social network'.

7 minutes ago, ThomasTheTGV said:

Searching for an alternative for facebook I've stumbled upon minds.com

It's an open source social networking service, which is known for it's transparency and privacy. It allows the sharing of photos and videos and includes full end-to-end encryption and asymmetrically encrypted chat messaging with private passwords. I've tried Diaspora in the past but that didn't really catch on in my 'social network'.

I'm up for an alternative to FB.  

I know it probably won't take over given FB's market share and all that, but I can at least contribute to a competitor!

10 minutes ago, Hodor said:

I'm up for an alternative to FB.  

I know it probably won't take over given FB's market share and all that, but I can at least contribute to a competitor!

Sounds like a good idea. Steemit is also an alternative to the Orwellian think and censorship going on at FB.  Make FB the new Myspace.   Hideous platform.

4 minutes ago, CurrencyGuy said:

What's with being able to login or migrate with your FB account to minds.com?  Not sure I like that.  They seem too connected.  Research needed in this area.  Steemit is separate.

Good point... but also a good way to attract people to migrate. You can also revoke the connection very easily it seems.

Just now, ThomasTheTGV said:

Good point... but also a good way to attract people to migrate. You can also revoke the connection very easily it seems.

Right but are they just offering a supposed alternative yet collecting data for the same organizations?  That's what has to be looked into for the people who don't want that done to them.

11 hours ago, CurrencyGuy said:

What's with being able to login or migrate with your FB account to minds.com?  Not sure I like that.  They seem too connected.  Research needed in this area.  Steemit is separate.

That's what worries me... FB is smart enough to create an "alternative" that looks separate but is really them... ughhh

It's only paranoia if it's not true, right?

14 hours ago, ThomasTheTGV said:

I've send a question to support.

Minds has no facebook or twitter tracking cookies or code. Any links are just links, there is no facebook or twitter javascript code.  Just because you can connect to FB (via links) does not mean in any way shape or form that Minds is collecting data from organizations like facebook and twitter. So if you don't want to make the connection you don't have to.

and for the programmers among us; rummaging through the code can be done here:

https://github.com/Minds