Jump to content

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, nikb said:

I just want to let you all know that we are going to be doubling down on ripple-lib

There is a new team member, that is joining us soon who will be working in the rippled team, reporting to me, and who will be responsible for ripple-lib.

Our goal is to rejuvenate the library, document it well, make it more versatile and have feature parity with rippled.

Our release cadence for ripple-lib will see a new version released alongside future rippled releases, and will come with full support for any new features introduced in rippled.

And this is just the beginning. There will be more coming, including broader language support.

I know it's been frustrating at times. But good stuff is coming. Stay tuned.

:JC_doubleup:

Great. Do you think we should wait building on rippleAPI because the new one won't be back compatible?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, nikb said:

I just want to let you all know that we are going to be doubling down on ripple-lib

There is a new team member, that is joining us soon who will be working in the rippled team, reporting to me, and who will be responsible for ripple-lib.

Our goal is to rejuvenate the library, document it well, make it more versatile and have feature parity with rippled.

Our release cadence for ripple-lib will see a new version released alongside future rippled releases, and will come with full support for any new features introduced in rippled.

And this is just the beginning. There will be more coming, including broader language support.

I know it's been frustrating at times. But good stuff is coming. Stay tuned.

:JC_doubleup:

For first order of business, please make sure to fix this Apple JS-interpreter bug, which breaks any site using rippled for Apple devices.  Literally all it takes is recompiling ripplelib with updated versions of the open-source libraries it uses.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, tulo said:

Great. Do you think we should wait building on rippleAPI because the new one won't be back compatible?

I urge everyone to build. You all have some awesome ideas. Make them happen!

As for compatibility, I don't have a concrete answer. We will try to remain as compatible as possible, only breaking compatibility to fix bugs that can't be fixed otherwise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@nikb, can you please clarify this:

 

Is this "rippled-lib" (notice the "d" at the end) just a newer version of ripple-lib (a JS library that implements RippleAPI) or is this "rippled-lib" something completely different (e.g. a C++ library that allows connecting to rippled using the Websockets)?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, T8493 said:

@nikb, can you please clarify this:

 

Is this "rippled-lib" (notice the "d" at the end) just a newer version of ripple-lib (a JS library that implements RippleAPI) or is this "rippled-lib" something completely different (e.g. a C++ library that allows connecting to rippled using the Websockets)?

 

I was referring to the existing JavaScript ripple-lib (no d!): we will be maintaining and improving it and working to make sure it's a library of superior quality, with clean, easy to read code, great documentation and full support for new features as they appear in rippled.

We will also have a C++ library available, but that's a separate and distinct project.

And more coming!

 

2 hours ago, Mercury said:

And @nikb do introduce us to your new peon!

As soon as he starts, I'll point him your way and he's welcome to participate and engage on the forums if he's so inclined.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, T8493 said:

Thanks. Can we then fix the title? Title says "rippleD"

I don't think I can edit the title. I suspect we need a moderator?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[mention=20]nikb[/mention], can you please clarify this:  

Is this "rippled-lib" (notice the "d" at the end) just a newer version of ripple-lib (a JS library that implements RippleAPI) or is this "rippled-lib" something completely different (e.g. a C++ library that allows connecting to rippled using the Websockets)?

 

 

 

 

He only called it rippled-lib in the title so a simple mistake. https://github.com/ripple/ripple-lib

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, nikb said:

I don't think I can edit the title. I suspect we need a moderator?

I've just fixed it. But I think you can edit the title, too (if you click the Edit link for editing the content of the post the topic title becomes editable, too).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, pftq said:

For first order of business, please make sure to fix this Apple JS-interpreter bug, which breaks any site using rippled for Apple devices.  Literally all it takes is recompiling ripplelib with updated v

Is this the issue with the "my secret key doesn't match my public address" or is it something else?

Because if anything could be worse for Ripple reputation (regardless of whose library is at fault) than folks using Apple gear finding out their zerps are gone into a black hole I can't think what it would be.   

The whole community needs to squash this bug as a major priority to avoid potential terrible media coverage.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tinyaccount said:

Is this the issue with the "my secret key doesn't match my public address" or is it something else?

Because if anything could be worse for Ripple reputation (regardless of whose library is at fault) than folks using Apple gear finding out their zerps are gone into a black hole I can't think what it would be.   

The whole community needs to squash this bug as a major priority to avoid potential terrible media coverage.  

I believe that this was a problem—a truly terrible problem—in Safari's JS engine which has since been fixed.

New versions of the library will include improved sanity checks during key generation, and include a step that will robustly verify that the produced public/private keypair are correct and that message signing works properly before returning them to the user, so that if this issue rears its ugly head again, we will not be affected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It could be the same or something else... I can think of many worse scenarios though.

IMHO JavaScript is not the best language to do this stuff anyways, but it is good that someone will finally take a look at ripple-lib again. Most issues are not answered for weeks/months and development was slowing to a crawl recently. Great to hear that it will be revived. :-)

I'm also looking forward to the upcoming language bindings - will there be a Python (3) and a Golang one?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×