CryptoLearner

Does Market Cap make 3 digit XRP price impossible?

One of the biggest rebuttals to XRP reaching $100 or higher is "but that would mean it would have a 10 trillion dollar market cap, which is impossible".  To which people usually reply "no one thought a bitcoin would reach 2000 either" (even though Bitcoin has a reasonable market cap so it makes sense given the amount of coins in circulation).   Is it really possible for XRP to reach 3 digit prices?  What situations could there be where the price would trump market cap, if any?  Because IF it is actually true that market cap cant reach something like 10 trillion, then how is it ever possible for XRP to reach that high of a price?

this is just my personal opinion. but i dont think xrp will ever reach tripple digits.  xrp isn't even a cryptocurrency its more of a digital asset. i dont see it long term going over $50. it would be conveinant to use if 1xrp = 100$ for example if you wanted to send $300 to your grandpa you would send 3xrp as 1xrp = $100, but realistically for me anyway i dont see it happening. 

on the other hand we know marketcap has nothing to do with price influence, all increases with mass adoption.

Edited by lanimal1

Market Cap is just a made up number, what does it have to do with reality? I sell you 1 xrp for $100, now there's $10 trillion dollars somewhere? nonsense.  How much xrp is at market and how much are people willing to pay for it, that's what will determine whether XRP reaches $100.  That said,  if people folks are buying 1 XRP for $100, chances are a whole lot will be made available in the market.  The vast pool of XRP available certainly works against it in this respect, but only time will tell to what degree that impact manifests itself. On the other side of the ledger, demand for cheap international capital movement exists on a mind boggling scale. This is an experiment no one has ever run before, and certainly no one can tell you what is going to happen, but I'm excited as hell to see how it turns out.

"In the short run, the market is a voting machine but in the long run, it is a weighing machine."
-Benjamin Graham

XRP is a heavyweight.

Edited by zoneghost

XRP is like light, it's both a particle and a wave. Meaning, it's both a currency and an asset. 

As an asset it's hard to fathom, but as a currency I don't see why not. It just means the pool of XRP is representing a larger value of currency with which to do transactions. 

The price of BTC should tell you, anything is possible. I laugh when the haters say never going to happen, while they contemplate and see no issue with a 500K Bitcoin. 

Time will tell. How much time is the question. 

1 hour ago, lanimal1 said:

this is just my personal opinion. but i dont think xrp will ever reach tripple digits.  xrp isn't even a cryptocurrency its more of a digital asset. i dont see it long term going over $50. it would be conveinant to use if 1xrp = 100$ for example if you wanted to send $300 to your grandpa you would send 3xrp as 1xrp = $100, but realistically for me anyway i dont see it happening. 

on the other hand we know marketcap has nothing to do with price influence, all increases with mass adoption.

It can happen if Ripple buys back or someone buys a chunk and just locks them away. Market cap and total supply are irrelevant to the actual value of XRP. If there's a lot of demand for XRP and institutional money is involved, it can go to any number. Only people truly benefiting in the end are long time hodlers.

2 hours ago, CryptoLearner said:

One of the biggest rebuttals to XRP reaching $100 or higher is "but that would mean it would have a 10 trillion dollar market cap, which is impossible".  To which people usually reply "no one thought a bitcoin would reach 2000 either" (even though Bitcoin has a reasonable market cap so it makes sense given the amount of coins in circulation).   Is it really possible for XRP to reach 3 digit prices?  What situations could there be where the price would trump market cap, if any?  Because IF it is actually true that market cap cant reach something like 10 trillion, then how is it ever possible for XRP to reach that high of a price?

I think the problem with people talking about BTC price and XRP price is that they relate wholly unrelated things to each other. 

BTCs price by itself is not related to XRPs price in terms of pure numbers. Saying BTC went to 3000 and nobody expected it is absolutely meaningless except to say that "Hey, crazier things have happened?" Because that's basically what you're saying in that regard.

Value is a totally different thing and market cap should represent value. 

Instead of asking yourself if the market cap can reach a certain number, as if the asset can reach a particular value. Meaning, will we as a society deem it to be "This useful?" (100 billion, 1 trillion, 1 Gabazillion). Ultimately the numbers represent worth by what something actually does and how people use it and the number is essentially less relevant. 

At some point, our economies may be worth 100 Quadrillion dollars. All that means is that it has gotten bigger than it was in the past....

So, ask yourselves what you think XRP will be worth, not by market cap, but by usage...Ask yourselves what you think LTC or BTC is worth. 

Those questions will lead you to what you think they actually do, how they contribute, why people will use them. Then you have to ask yourself what number might represent its use. 

In the case of XRP, to suggest it will be worth more than say, the entire world's economy...that's just preposterous. It doesn't even make sense. Start thinking in terms of what we use it for, and what value lies therein. 

There are a few things to remember

there aren't 100 billion xrp to be used anymore and the number of xrp get lower EVERY transaction.

even if the amount burned is very low, there are millions of transactions a day, that makes a big difference. xrp being daflationary is a thing that people don't look at. Also let's ask ourselves how many ripple accounts are there right now as we speak and times that by 20 since each account must hold 20xrp and can never be used

so there is much less than 100billion xrp

just keep that thought also

Are you serious? madcat117

I want to talk about ripple points here.Don't use the flag. please :cray:

The flag you are using right now is Rising Sun Flag which should not be used.

The flag is a symbol associated with Japanese imperialism during 2nd World War and carries a similar meaning as Nazi's Hakenkreuz.

Using this flag is disrespecting the countries those were suffered by Japan in those days. Please be refrained from using it. 

If I use an image of Hakenkreuz when I upload video clips related to Germany it will make you feel very uncomfortable.

Please do not use Rising Sun Flag for what so ever.

http://thimg.todayhumor.co.kr/upfile/201507/8416eba61e092c8544b5b1c65856c4f7.jpg

47 minutes ago, baggy23 said:

Its impossible that XRP will go to 100$. It would make me richer than many rockstars..

Will you still be holding them at 100$?

You would need balls of steel

6 hours ago, lanimal1 said:

Esta é apenas a minha opinião pessoal. Mas eu não acho que o xrp nunca atinja os dígitos do tripple. O xrp nem é uma cryptocurrency é mais um recurso digital. Eu não vejo isso longo prazo indo mais de US $ 50. Seria convexo usar se 1xrp = 100 $, por exemplo, se você quisesse enviar $ 300 para o vovô, você enviaria 3xrp como 1xrp = $ 100, mas, de maneira realista, para mim, de qualquer forma, eu não vejo isso acontecer. 

Por outro lado, sabemos que o marketcap não tem nada a ver com a influência do preço, todos aumenta com a adoção em massa.

If you want to send 300 $ ... you will spend 0.0007 xrp per transaction only

5 hours ago, Hodlezerper said:

I think the problem with people talking about BTC price and XRP price is that they relate wholly unrelated things to each other. 

BTCs price by itself is not related to XRPs price in terms of pure numbers. Saying BTC went to 3000 and nobody expected it is absolutely meaningless except to say that "Hey, crazier things have happened?" Because that's basically what you're saying in that regard.

Value is a totally different thing and market cap should represent value. 

Instead of asking yourself if the market cap can reach a certain number, as if the asset can reach a particular value. Meaning, will we as a society deem it to be "This useful?" (100 billion, 1 trillion, 1 Gabazillion). Ultimately the numbers represent worth by what something actually does and how people use it and the number is essentially less relevant. 

At some point, our economies may be worth 100 Quadrillion dollars. All that means is that it has gotten bigger than it was in the past....

So, ask yourselves what you think XRP will be worth, not by market cap, but by usage...Ask yourselves what you think LTC or BTC is worth. 

Those questions will lead you to what you think they actually do, how they contribute, why people will use them. Then you have to ask yourself what number might represent its use. 

In the case of XRP, to suggest it will be worth more than say, the entire world's economy...that's just preposterous. It doesn't even make sense. Start thinking in terms of what we use it for, and what value lies therein. 

After reading quite a lot of price speculations and asking my self similar questions I have deduced that until XRP won't be used commercially, the price will be dictated by market cap because speculations are speculations and the conservative indicators/ways to estimates prices are the actual methods that used today(e.g market cap). 

But if (or when :yess:) XRP will be adopted - the future is unclear and the most imaginary scenarios I have read here can happen. For now i'm trying to stay calm as much as  I can be about this whole XRP adventure:beach: .

Again, this is only my humble opinion.

5 hours ago, baggy23 said:

Its impossible that XRP will go to 100$. It would make me richer than many rockstars..

Market caps vs. currencies vs. digital commodities.

One of things I've been thinking about recently is that the term cryptocurrency actually misrepresents what XRP is. As explained by the company, it is a digital token - a store of value. This leads to a lot of confusion because people who are just starting to understand its function make the wrong comparisons. Some people want to compare the value of XRP to a market cap of large companies like Apple or Google, but this is apples to oranges. A more accurate but still incorrect comparison is to compare it to fiat currency like dollars and euros. (The total value of all currencies in the world is over $60 trillion.) But acting as a substitute for fiat currency, that's not really what XRP does. It is most accurate, I believe, to compare its purpose to a commodity like gold. It stores value but can also be used for other purposes, just like gold can simply hold value or be made into a necklace....or Donald Trump's toilet. Its quantity is finite and its perceived value is market determined. (Remember, gold has traded in the double digits per ounce as well as in the four digit range...all based on market perception of its value.)

What is all the more interesting is when you look at XRP this way, the total value of all gold in the world is over $8.2 TRILLION. Now, gold in comparison to a digital commodity is cumbersome and has fewer financial uses than XRP. XRP has all the makings to become the de facto store of value across all currencies around the world, as well as the most valued intermediary for remittances, and possibly even direct currency use one day, although that's not its original purpose

Given that there are 100 billion XRP tokens and dwindling, the math would imply that there is no reason that XRP can't easily match gold's total worth and 1 XRP would exceed $82+ once it is widely adopted.

Thank you guys for your responses.  I in no way doubt the possibility of this happening, I just wanted some other opinions.   I will never have to work another day in my life if xrp hits triple digits as I am heavily invested.  I would like to think that none of us have any idea of the insanity and great things that are about to happen in the next 4 years (hopefully sooner).  We must HODL strong!