New documentation on Freeze feature

Just published last night: https://ripple.com/build/freeze/

This new documentation is more accurate (no more typos of who's freezing whom, which is something that persisted in the wiki article for like a year), more thorough, reviewed by technical experts, and even includes functional code samples for the new RippleAPI.

Of course, the Freeze feature itself is over a year old, with no significant changes since then, so this is hardly news. But I still think it's worthwhile to share our ongoing efforts to clarify and improve understanding of the Ripple Consensus Ledger rules and rippled software as it exists.

If there are any points in the documentation that are confusing or seem inaccurate, let me know and I'd be glad to clarify!

2 hours ago, yxxyun said:

thanks for the update.

Just curious:I saw the ripple dev-blog is no update for a long time, and the rippled is the only active project on the github. few developer are working on interledger, what the others working on?  

Ripple.NET has seen some activity recently: https://github.com/ripple/ripple-dot-net (1 RL developer).

Ripple's developers are mostly working on:

• rippled (which has been and continues to be the core of our business)
  • Ripple Connect (closed-source, critical for partners)
  • Ripple Stream (also closed-source)
  • RippleAPI, which is the combination of Ripple-REST and the old ripple-lib into one better JavaScript API
  • Ripple Data API v2 and various related analytics, including closed-source tools for monitoring the protocol (e.g. fraud detection)
  • Interledger Protocol reference implementations (for various components)
  • Lots of other things I can't talk about in detail. (One example: better ops scripts and things)

Also, I apologize for the lack of updates on the dev blog. There are a lot of things I want to post, but I haven't actually gone and finished. Lately I've taken to the less-formal setting of posting here instead. ;)

1 hour ago, mDuo13 said:

The situation with the Admin Console is complicated. We haven't forgotten about it, but we're making sure that we are developing the right feature set for the target audience. And I'm not the most informed on exactly where that's going.

Well, I was informed today by Ripple support that it will no longer be supported, and no assistance will be offered to those willing to help develop it.

Sad.

Edited by RafOlP
5 hours ago, mDuo13 said:

The situation with the Admin Console is complicated. We haven't forgotten about it, but we're making sure that we are developing the right feature set for the target audience. And I'm not the most informed on exactly where that's going.

With the name change from 'desktop client' to 'admin console' it sounds like there is a closed source version being developed for banks.

4 hours ago, RafOlP said:

Well, I was informed today by Ripple support that it will no longer be supported, and no assistance will be offered to those willing to help develop it.

Sad.

Agreed.  With Ripple there is much to be sad about.  When it started it seemed like it had so much promise.  It's just another sign that the consumer-facing parts of the network have become a burden.  Along with the users I might add.  Maybe Ripple should just pay us to go away?

Edited by fatcat
6 hours ago, rippledigital said:

We all really appreciate the time you've taken to post over here.

Yes, thanks for keeping everyone in the loop!

RippleAPI is in active development. You can use it today, but it'll be even better tomorrow! We just locked in browser support (the first couple versions of the new API had dropped browser support temporarily). There's also an unsupported HTTP wrapper for it, so you can use that to make it kind of like a REST server. We recommend importing it directly from JavaScript, though. It's designed to work with the cutting-edge ES2015 version of JavaScript, but you can transpile it to older-generation JS.

(I'm hoping to publish a quickstart guide for RippleAPI real soon.)

1 minute ago, mDuo13 said:

RippleAPI is in active development. You can use it today, but it'll be even better tomorrow! We just locked in browser support (the first couple versions of the new API had dropped browser support temporarily). There's also an unsupported HTTP wrapper for it, so you can use that to make it kind of like a REST server. We recommend importing it directly from JavaScript, though. It's designed to work with the cutting-edge ES2015 version of JavaScript, but you can transpile it to older-generation JS.

(I'm hoping to publish a quickstart guide for RippleAPI real soon.)

Yeah I'm using ripple-lib 12.6 but I wait to develop since it will be totally different the new ripple-API :(
Waiting for a stable release to remake all the old code.

On 22-1-2016 at 10:24 PM, tulo said:

Yeah I'm using ripple-lib 12.6 but I wait to develop since it will be totally different the new ripple-API :(
Waiting for a stable release to remake all the old code.

I'm just recently using the newest RippleAPI version with nodejs, not using the HTTP wrapper or in-browser. It works for me and I am very content with it. I can't imagine the interfaces will change dramatically, but I guess someone from Ripple will be the better judge on that..

On 1/24/2016 at 11:25 AM, jn_r said:

I'm just recently using the newest RippleAPI version with nodejs, not using the HTTP wrapper or in-browser. It works for me and I am very content with it. I can't imagine the interfaces will change dramatically, but I guess someone from Ripple will be the better judge on that..

You are correct. The interface is fairly stable. The only changes will be minor revisions, either for new rippled features (like the long, long-awaited multi-sign) or to clear up inconsistencies. (That's not an official guarantee, just my read on the current direction.)