Jump to content
supersonic

Secret Key doesn't match public key

Recommended Posts

Hi guys,

started to get into XRP a couple of weeks ago and have already invested some money.
I used the tutorial on how to create paper wallets that can be found on this forum and transferred my ZERPS to two different paper wallets. 
Used the minimalist client to generate the keys.

So today out of curiosity I wanted to check if my secret keys match the public keys. So I put my secret into the client, pressed "set identity" and a different key showed up other than the one I had written down. I've tried it multiple times and multiple different keys showed up. At some point even the correct one. 

Can someone please explain to me what that means? I'm afraid I wont be able to access my XRP's.

Cheers! <3

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did you use the minimalist client for your test (where you got different addresses from your secret key)?

"Secret key" is actually a seed that can be used to generate different Ripple secret keys (which correspond to different account ids). However, we will have to investigate why is the minimalist client displaying different account ids.

Where did you get the minimalist client?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First, let me thank you for your answer! 

Yes, I did use the minimalist client for my test. I downloaded the zip file directly from github. 
Also, it doesn't matter whether I use the online version or the offline version with no connection to the internet, result is the same.

I should mention that at first I tested with just freshly created IDs, because I didn't want to "expose" my secret key, those didn't match. I then thought this could be due to the fact that those accounts are not activated, so I tested it with one of my activated ones but still, displaying a different ID every time I enter the same secret key. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't reproduce this. Minimalist ripple client always displays the original account id.

Can you provide a detailed description of steps that you performed?

What do you click that "forces" the minimalist ripple client to display another account id?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. Open minimalist client
2. Enter Secret Key
3. Press "Set Identity" 

--> Wrong Public Key shows. 
4. Clear Identity
5. Enter same Secret Key
--> Different but also wrong Public Key shows again. No matter how often I repeat that with the private being the exact same one, every time a different public key is shown. 

I have done this about a hundred times now with at least 15 different newly created private keys. Sometimes however the correct public key shows. Often not at first, but after the 5th try or so. 

Thank you in advance for your help!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, supersonic said:

1. Open minimalist client
2. Enter Secret Key
3. Press "Set Identity" 

--> Wrong Public Key shows. 
4. Clear Identity
5. Enter same Secret Key
--> Different but also wrong Public Key shows again. No matter how often I repeat that with the private being the exact same one, every time a different public key is shown. 

I have done this about a hundred times now with at least 15 different newly created private keys. Sometimes however the correct public key shows. Often not at first, but after the 5th try or so. 

Thank you in advance for your help!

What browser are you using? Chrome?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, karlos said:

Try using Chrome, I think that was the browser it was designed to run on.

Haha that actually fixed it! I used firefox but it's working nevertheless. Thank you so much for your help. BUT:

I created my first paper wallet with the minimalist client in Safari. When entering my secret key for that in firefox it still shows me the wrong public key.. The same but wrong key everytime.. Therefore I assume the minimalist client does not function at all with safari and threw some sort of wrong mixup at me when creating that wallet. 
For the second one that I created I used the offline creator that's listed on this forum in the links. Secret and private key match perfectly when tested with the minimalist client in firefox. 

Maybe we should put a warning out about the minimalist client apparently not being compatible with Safari? I'm a bit gutted about that money that I've lost to be honest. I don't think there is a way to redeem it, right?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, supersonic said:

Haha that actually fixed it! I used firefox but it's working nevertheless. Thank you so much for your help. BUT:

I created my first paper wallet with the minimalist client in Safari. When entering my secret key for that in firefox it still shows me the wrong public key.. The same but wrong key everytime.. Therefore I assume the minimalist client does not function at all with safari and threw some sort of wrong mixup at me when creating that wallet. 
For the second one that I created I used the offline creator that's listed on this forum in the links. Secret and private key match perfectly when tested with the minimalist client in firefox. 

Maybe we should put a warning out about the minimalist client apparently not being compatible with Safari? I'm a bit gutted about that money that I've lost to be honest. I don't think there is a way to redeem it, right?

 

Good point, I'll put a warning next to the link. I think if the client gave you an incorrect public address because of the browser, there won't be any way to recover those funds. But maybe somebody with more experience knows different..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If someone could track down exactly what's going on here, that would be extremely helpful. I've heard a few reports of this and suspect it's some incompatibility between ripple-lib and Safari. It may be an issue that affects other libraries as well, and it's a bit scary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 8/3/2017 at 10:41 AM, JoelKatz said:

If someone could track down exactly what's going on here, that would be extremely helpful. I've heard a few reports of this and suspect it's some incompatibility between ripple-lib and Safari. It may be an issue that affects other libraries as well, and it's a bit scary.

@JoelKatz There are a number of issues with ripplelib and Mac/iOS in general as a result of Apple changing its javascript interpreter in May.  Below is also a big issue that arose starting May and might be related (namely, the bignumbers and other libraries used in Ripplelib are broken and needs replacing with the newest ones).  It doesn't look like the ripplelib has been updated yet, but someone else already recompiled it with the updated libraries in the github issues thread.

 

Is there something we can do to clearly label which wallets are still running on which versions of ripplelib or at least how old the code base is?
https://www.xrpchat.com/links/

Many of the wallets there are still running on code 2 years old, which I think is dangerous to keep redirecting users to given that code as new as this year is already breaking unless you address the bugs like the above.

For my part, I can confirm that the one I built (www.theworldexchange.net) has already addressed this bug and is using the latest version of Ripplelib + its dependencies recompiled to specifically solve the bignumbers.js issue.  You can also see from its repository that it's being updated constantly, which is harder to say for most wallets listed.

 

Edited by pftq

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I'm just happy I was paranoid enough to use different generators and realising this before making my next investment with possibly another minimalist client created ID. A bit gutted about wasting my money though, my first ever bought 1361 XRPs down the drain.. :( 

Edited by supersonic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we knew exactly what was going wrong, there's a chance we could recover the private keys. That's another reason it would be worth investigating. I wonder if offering a bounty would help or if I can generate interest inside Ripple in getting this figured out. It's a mystery. And I don't like mysteries. They give me a bellyache, and I got a beauty right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×