celticwarrior72

Pathfinding bug in desktop client

1 hour ago, celticwarrior72 said:

I guess we have our answer:

Thanks for letting us know, however we are no longer supporting the downloadable client.

Best,
Ripple Support

Supporting or developing?

Is the wallet made by yxxyun still being supported/developed though? We need a secure desktop/coldstorage option, because I don't trust any exchange for any reasonable amount of money. Every time they will get hacked or run away with it such as: Mt.gox, Mintpal, etc

3 hours ago, Hal9000 said:

Is the wallet made by yxxyun still being supported/developed though? We need a secure desktop/coldstorage option, because I don't trust any exchange for any reasonable amount of money. Every time they will get hacked or run away with it such as: Mt.gox, Mintpal, etc

I think we'll have to wait until someone develops a new desktop client. All versions of the Ripple Desktop Client back to 1.2.1 have the pathfinding bug. Version 1.2.1 has a bug where it hangs if you try to send a large amount of XRP (10000+). Basically all versions are useless for doing simple tasks you'd expect for a wallet.

Edited by karlos

I think we'll have to wait until someone develops a new desktop client. All versions of the Ripple Desktop Client back to 1.2.1 have the pathfinding bug. Version 1.2.1 has a bug where it hangs if you try to send a large amount of XRP (10000+). Basically all versions are useless for doing simple tasks you'd expect for a wallet.

When you say cold storage you mean on your desktop correct? What about paper wallets for xrp?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

58 minutes ago, yxxyun said:

ripple-client-desktop have new update,  they added a new [FEATURE] - Travel rule . https://github.com/ripple/ripple-client-desktop/commits/travelrule

@yxxyun Is this travel rule fixing the existing issue or is a new feature? If the current version was fixed, I could compile it and upload it to github under the xrpchat label..

Edit: nvm, just checked its still broken

Edited by karlos

8 hours ago, Altcoinbonanza said:

The client is full-featured, and include offline capabilities. Fixing some bugs and improving its usage is a very smaller task than building a new one, but of course, the more the better in this case.

The bug only happens when pathfind is triggered and there is a valid path to deliver IOUs using XRP, and the XRP amount is big enough to cause the bug, so not big deal IMO.

8 hours ago, Altcoinbonanza said:

When you say cold storage you mean on your desktop correct? What about paper wallets for xrp?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

By definition, in the cryptocurrency space, Cold Storage means keeping funds offline, in a paper/brain/USB wallet or in an offline computer.

Desktop storage is not cold storage, but is a way to keep your keys private, i.e. not handing them out to exchanges or wallet providers. This is a key feature for those who will bear significant amounts of value in crypto-wallets.

Bitcoin protocol doesn't have a built-in exchange, so users HAVE TO give away their hard money to exchanges in order to be able to trade. In Ripple, having an activated account is all it takes to have access to a counterparty-less asset and various exchanges (currency pairs) for this asset, so why share keys at all?

So you can supply personal name and address information (KYC), which will be sent via (encrypted?) memo if you send an amount to one of the gateways in the list:

+/**
    + * TRAVEL RULE
    + *
    + * The travel rule service is used to send to known gateways
    + * information about transaction sender.
    + *
    + */
    +

(https://github.com/ripple/ripple-client-desktop/commit/da131bedbd46d52587e07dd4cb51eecd600421b5)

Maybe it's an old service from RippleTrade where this information was available but via the ripple names? I think that is the case, see https://github.com/ripple/ripple-client/blob/e19169eccd4532b0ce9050a1c50ab83afd0d7254/config-example.js

Nice to see they are still developing, although not supporting..

N.B. funny to see the name they provide as example: " XRP II LLC ". Maybe they are using this tool for themselves? A quick google search on "XRP II LLC" came up with the following: FinCEN Fines Ripple Labs Inc. in First Civil Enforcement  Action Against a Virtual Currency Exchanger

Edited by jn_r

14 hours ago, RafOlP said:

The client is full-featured, and include offline capabilities. Fixing some bugs and improving its usage is a very smaller task than building a new one, but of course, the more the better in this case.

The bug only happens when pathfind is triggered and there is a valid path to deliver IOUs using XRP, and the XRP amount is big enough to cause the bug, so not big deal IMO.

Converting from XRP to fiat is a pretty core function, and I'd (safely) assume people who want a cold wallet are dealing with amounts larger than $20. Also the client doesn't give any error messages, so users have no idea whats happening. I'd happily give up all the extra functionality such as offline transactions etc if it worked as intended..