is 50$ a coin possible for ripple?

20 hours ago, Eric123 said:

From my calculations it is basically a necessity for xrp to increase to stabilize the market and cover the proposed transactions.  $50 might be too low.  As I understand it the more expensive an xrp the smoother the system works.

Very interested in this.  The basic idea being that the higher the price, the lower the potential percentage change in the 'currency' during any transaction?  So, the market is less open to manipulation?  It would require a high volume of coins, which XRP clearly has.  interesting.

@noncomittal actually there are not as many available coins as you would think. True the float is in the 10's of billions but most of those are not being traded.  The average daily volume is like 2% of the float and that is on a heavy day. Think about that, if banks have to go to the markets 500-800 million xrp would have to transfer billions a day. Where does that put the price!!??

Edited by Eric123

4 hours ago, Eric123 said:

Think about that, if banks have to go to the markets 500-800 million xrp would have to transfer billions a day. Where does that put the price!!??

We don't know where that puts the price. Probably higher than now, but most probably not $50.

500 million XRP at $1 may be enough to transfer billions a day in smaller transactions, as the XRP is only blocked for a few seconds, contrary to fiat money which is on the way for days. So one single XRP can be used many, many times a day. So we don't know and any attempt to calculate something based on the available number of XRP and the daily FX value is nothing more than pure speculation.

If crypto market reaches same level as 90s dot-com bubble level of 6.7 trillion USD and all the ripple coins are released into circulation, and assuming XRP's value grows proportinately to the global crypto marketcap, then ripple will reach marketcap of 338B USD making each XRP worth $3.38 (Note: this is a conservative estimate which excludes the destruction of any xrp in the calculation).

Ripple has grown about 4000% since inception and if it grows proportinately to the global crypto marketcap, then it will have about another 4000% of growth by the time the market begins to get saturated or the bubble starts reaching it's limit, assuming conservative value of 6.7 trillion USD.

8 hours ago, Eric123 said:

@noncomittal actually there are not as many available coins as you would think. True the float is in the 10's of billions but most of those are not being traded.  The average daily volume is like 2% of the float and that is on a heavy day. Think about that, if banks have to go to the markets 500-800 million xrp would have to transfer billions a day. Where does that put the price!!??

Thanks, Eric, that is along the lines I was thinking.  I still don't know how to predict price, though, because there are just too many variables at play.  The price will clearly increase with wide adoption, and hopefully by quite a bit.

11 minutes ago, CryptoLearner said:

After SWELL do you really still think that $173 day is coming?  Just curious.

Really depends on your opinion about wether SWELL succeeded or failed.  

There are those who thought SWELL let down XRP holders, by not placing it center stage and promoting it in a postive way (or at all for that matter). 

There are those who thought Ripple executed SWELL according to their plan. Ripple wanted to bring together Banks, FI's, executives and descisions makers in one place in order to plant the seeds of success for the future. Talking XRP was never part of the plan, and in fact doing so may have scared off a lot of their potential customers. 

I think if we're going to be objective about the situation, then SWELL was a tentative success. It got Ripple's core audience to show up, pay attention, discuss Ripple's blockchain solution, and hopefully make deals. 

We really won't know what deals were made until Q4 announcments are made, and in my opinon most likely Q2 next year. 

Having said that, $173 to me sounds extremley optimistic, but not impossible within 10 years if Ripple sticks to their game plan. 

OK so this thread raises some really interesting questions now. From a technical standpoint, what number of XRP will always be HODL'd or semi-hodl'd (I say HODL, like gold in a safe, and semi-hodl', like money in savings account) ?

Right now there are $38bil XRP in circulation, but only $128m trade volume and the price is basically flat.

When major institutions are in on this bandwagon, will they HODL?

What if wall street jumps in and adds $1Bil in HODL'd XRP to various funds?

55 minutes ago, RegalChicken said:

What if wall street jumps in and adds $1Bil in HODL'd XRP to various funds?

I think if wall street jumps in and hodl'ds, that's the best case scenario, and will sky rocket the price. Banks by virtue will be semi-hodl'ing considering they will be utilizing the majority of their hodl'ings for international transfers. 

5 minutes ago, nav said:

I think if wall street jumps in and hodl'ds, that's the best case scenario, and will sky rocket the price. Banks by virtue will be semi-hodl'ing considering they will be utilizing the majority of their hodl'ings for international transfers. 

As far as I understand it, the Banks does not need to HODL any XRP at all. They just use XRP as a vehicle when transfers occurs.
Of course they might want to HODL as an investement. But that is another story.

Edited by zenkert

@zenkert Yes you're right actually. Ideally they would want to HODL some in a hedge fund?

I guess I'm back at square one in answering @RegalChicken 's question of who at the end of the day will be HODL'ing, and what fraction of those people will be active traders (since this is what the curency bridge relies on). I feel Banks would be well positioned to do so since it's in their interest to maintain XRP at a steady and low volatile price? 

I'm curious, but has Ripple talked about this at all?

Edited by nav