deep_dive

What are reasons for market makers/connectors/currency exchangers use XRP over USD?

My understanding is that the goal for XRP is to become a reserve currency similar to how USD is nowadays. I also understand that the strategy of Ripple is to first target smaller or less transacted currency corridors for example, Guatemalan quetzal to South African Rand. What are the advantages to using xrp in those cases as opposed to just using the US dollar?

11 hours ago, deep_dive said:

My understanding is that the goal for XRP is to become a reserve currency similar to how USD is nowadays. I also understand that the strategy of Ripple is to first target smaller or less transacted currency corridors for example, Guatemalan quetzal to South African Rand. What are the advantages to using xrp in those cases as opposed to just using the US dollar?

The shortest possible answer is probably this: They're already using something now, probably dollars. And if we're talking about inefficient corridors, it's not working all that well. Ripple is willing to pay its own money to make XRP work better for that corridor than whatever they're using now. Ripple just has to expend enough to make XRP work just a little bit better and remember, XRP can already be moved more easily (with certainty in just a few seconds) than things like USD can.

Ripple has their choice of corridors to work on. So we just have to find a few choice corridors where payments are flowing over a modern payment system but settlement is slow and/or expensive. Then we just have to make XRP work slightly better than whatever they're using now, which might not be all that difficult given XRP's inherent efficient transfer properties.

If you can find a pile of gunpowder, you only have to light the fuse.

35 minutes ago, JoelKatz said:

Ripple has their choice of corridors to work on. So we just have to find a few choice corridors where payments are flowing over a modern payment system but settlement is slow and/or expensive.

like jpy/thb ?