Is there any way to see the total number of XRP that have already been circulated? In other words, the current supply graph of XRP on the network from the first days to nowadays.

For e.g. like this bitcoin graph but for XRP.

I only find a number of all circulating XRP supply (38,332,289,584) but I wan't to see a graph thats shows how XRP increasing over time.

XRP aren't mined like Bitcoin, so an exactly equivalent graph can't be made.  All 100 billion XRP that there will ever be were brought into existence at the same moment of the genesis ledger (in early 2013 or late 2012 I believe?).

You could create something similar, perhaps by defining "circulated" as "having been sold or given away by Ripple (the company)". But the limits around that may be difficult to define.  For example, if a Ripple employee has been given XRP by the company but hasn't sold them yet, are they circulated or not? If the answer is "yes" then it could be argued that all Ripple-held XRP are in "circulation", because all are - one way or another - controlled by Ripple employees. If we then defer to it being the "intention" of those employees that matters, that opens another can of worms as intentions to sell or hold part or all of a holding change all the time. For a pertinent example of this dilemma, are Jed's unsold XRP billions in "circulation"? It could be argued that they aren't, because he was a founder of the company, and hasn't sold a bunch of them yet - just like Ripple the company would have their holdings qualified as out of circulation. This is further complicated by the fact that Ripple is technically in possession of Jed's XRP at the moment. Yet, he obviously wants to sell them, and they're being sold all the time... where to draw the line?

This is a very different situation from Bitcoin, where nobody controls the uncirculated Bitcoin.  Those Bitcoin can be clearly defined as such because literally nobody can access them - those Bitcoin, in a sense - don't "exist" yet.  And without the cooperative mining effort of the entire network, which releases them (through maths), they won't ever exist.

If a suitable and comprehensive definition of "circulated" for XRP could be arrived at, it might still also be a lot of work to figure everything out, as the requisite transactions may number in the thousands and they span many years. Maybe Ripple has undertaken something like this already and could make such information available?

Wouldn't a reasonable equivalent of 'number in circulation' be a daily summation of the ledger volumes?  For all the reasons mentioned above it isn't a true 'number in circulation' but it is an indication of uptake of usage of XRP.

1 hour ago, Professor Hantzen said:

For a pertinent example of this dilemma, are Jed's unsold XRP billions in "circulation"?

OMG, THIS IS the exact reason why I asked this question :lol: This dilemma was stuck in my head. And yes, I know the difference about BTC (mining) and XRP (100 billio) but I'am still curious (is it possible to calculate mathematically the graph of this circulation?).

If a suitable and comprehensive definition of "circulated" for XRP could be arrived at

Well, I think we should all agree that the answer to the question "if a Ripple employee has been given XRP by the company but hasn't sold them yet, are they circulated or not" is "NOT". That must mean that is none "drop" of XRP at the market right now and all XRP are placed into escrow account for expire in X month. Or something like that.

Maybe Ripple has undertaken something like this already and could make such information available?

Well, to me, it could be a very good thing. People like openness! It would be a great if Ripple begin to publish more various reports on their activities. For example, a sales report of XRP. Report on how much XRP hold by employees. Number of distributed XRP and the mechanism of XRP distribution, etc.

Edited by one_giant_leap

2 hours ago, one_giant_leap said:

Is there any way to see the total number of XRP that have already been circulated? In other words, the current supply graph of XRP on the network from the first days to nowadays.

For e.g. like this bitcoin graph but for XRP.

I only find a number of all circulating XRP supply (38,332,289,584) but I wan't to see a graph thats shows how XRP increasing over time.

I did this last year, it hasn't been updated though:

@GiantGox keeps an amazingly updated tally of the figures here: http://gtgox.com/xrp-distribution/

Somebody probably should update the above chart, but my conclusion was that XRP distribution is slower than Bitcoin over the same period.

1 hour ago, one_giant_leap said:

Oh! Thanx @karlos!

Maybe...you? :rolleyes::blush: Maybe in september...so we all can look what has been done during the last year.

Here you go :)

distribution xrpvsbtc.png

distribution xrpvsbtc 2.png

distribution xrpvsbtc 3.png

On average 251,714,218 XRP get distributed a month. Or pretty much exactly 0.25% a month, meaning 3% a year. With such an exact figure, I doubt that's a coincidence.

That’s very interesting Karlos - do you have more recent monthly figures to end 2017 by any chance ?

Also, do Ripple publish at what price they release extra ~250m XRP into circulating supply each month ?

i am guessing to improve take up they release XRP from escrow each month to FIs or MMs at a reduced or set price ??

coinmktcap shoes 38.739 billion at the mo 

If XRP really gets adopted by FIs/banks as their bridging asset should we expect a higher amount being released into circulation over the next year ?