CryptoLearner

What are we missing?

Hello all, I've been lurking around this forum for a few weeks, learning a lot from everyone, and I am an enthusiastic XRP hodler myself.  On the surface, XRP seems amazing:  it provides cross border payments, superior transction times over Ethereum and BTC combined, it can handle more transactions than ETH and BTC combined, it has signed up over 60 banks, and has a finite number of coins that can never be increased.  XRP seems SO amazing and perfect that I wonder if it's too good to be true, and if we're missing some piece of the equation that will leave us all in for a big surprise?  WHAT are the NEGATIVES that you guys see with XRP that could potentially cause its price to never soar high like we all desperately want, IF any negatives at all?  Thanks!

Edited by CryptoLearner

You are correct, the mechanics of XRP are superior to any other cryptocurrency that exist and the team at Ripple is second to none in development.  Meaning that there is a very good chance that Ripple will replace Swift sometime  as the international standard for currency transactions.  The sheer number of XRPs available probably means it will never hit the $2800 dollar mark that BTC currently sits at, or even the $230 dollar mark that ETH sits at.  Which is why it is good to get in now while it is still fairly cheap.  The fact that it is not a mineable coin, is not a drawback for me, but to many it is, who do not like that a corporate entity like Ripple has control of so many of the tokens.  To me that is better though, because they have a financial stake in making XRP a strong currency.

Edited by Greeny

Insiders are probably still selling. When they stop, it will probably crash below a penny. I was around in 1998, and seen this before many times. Too bad we cannot short this thing.

Edited by Robert4x

negatives:

- initial distro (absolutely EPIC screw-up of gargantuan proportions) 
 - horrible first few years in terms of transparency, marketing, pivots, etc
 - seen as a "centralised bank coin" (whatever that means)
 - bitcoiners hate ripple
 - misinformation widespread 
 - seen as "stable" to some (??!!)
 - seen as scam to some, etc
- no POW (IMO also a plus, but...)

etc

As far as negatives, my partner has given me plenty! My only answer is, some of the smartest people in the world are sitting at their computers day and night, with a half-eaten burrito on their desk obsessively working to bring widespread and sensible adoption of money meets internet :aggressive:I don't think I need to worry about them doing it right because they have such a huge stake it getting it right! Speaking of which, in answer to Robert4X, I actually have thought that insider selling might be bringing the price down, you know, extra supply and for the time being, limited demand. Once more banks get on board, the equation will flip, IMO...

53 minutes ago, Robert4x said:

Insiders are probably still selling. When they stop, it will probably crash below a penny. I was around in 1998, and seen this before many times. Too bad we cannot short this thing.

I never really thought about this but that scares the crap out of me.  I really want to up my hodling amount but the possibility of it crashing down to below a penny is definitely a deterrent.  At the same time, the potential of missing out on huge gains if and when this technology becomes used in hundreds of banks, or even a possible IPO or buyout by a company like google down the road!

imo, the insiders' interests are aligned with ours. they would rather sell XRP for $10 a coin rather than @ .20 cents.

we are all impatient and want XRP to blow up already! especially with all the daily positive news that keeps coming out. but it is important to note that these things take time.

As a reminder, the Ripple faithful who have been holding XRP since pre-2017, were barely rewarded this year with a near 4,000%.

it has already been an incredible year for XRP. and all signs are pointing to an even more incredible future. Faith and Patience my friends.

Just now, JTxrPP said:

imo, the insiders' interests are aligned with ours. they would rather sell XRP for $10 a coin rather than @ .20 cents.

we are all impatient and want XRP to blow up already! especially with all the daily positive news that keeps coming out. but it is important to note that these things take time.

As a reminder, the Ripple faithful who have been holding XRP since pre-2017, were barely rewarded this year with a near 4,000%.

it has already been an incredible year for XRP. and all signs are pointing to an even more incredible future. Faith and Patience my friends.

$10 a coin would be ridiculous.  I know so many people say it's not possible for xrp to ever reach above 40-50 but I can't help but think that when banks are involved xrp could be on steroids compared to the other coins. 

I beg to differ.

Here's what David Schwartz, Chief Cryptographer for Ripple Had to Say on Reddit:

"Question:
Mathematically speaking what is the highest price ripple could potentially get to? 
Due to the large supply of coins and current rate of adoption/ do you think ripple has potential to surpass $1 in the near future?

Answer:
"It all depends how big you want to dream.

What if Ripple captures bitcoin's current market share? $2

What if Ripple captures the value of all high-friction International payments that are now occurring? $20 (You could add a multiplier to this for additional demand from people holding XRP to make or facilitate the payments in the future.)

What if Ripple captures the value of an increasing volume of International payments driven by the reduction in friction? Maybe $120. (Same point as above, you could justify a multiplier to this.)

What if the economy triples in size, the volume of International payments increases, Ripple captures all of that, and people also use Ripple for all kinds of other things because it either displaces bitcoin or equals in size a bitcoin that's many times its current size? And we also expand the economy to other planets that also use XRP? And ...

As for how likely these scenarios are though, who can say. Ripple equaling bitcoin's current market cap sometime in the near future doesn't seem any more outrageous to me now than the idea of a bitcoin selling for over $1,000 seemed to me in 2012."

-David Schwartz

https://www.reddit.com/r/Ripple/comments/6irqhs/mathematically_speaking_what_is_the_highest_price/

1 hour ago, Greeny said:

The sheer number of XRPs available probably means it will never hit the $2800 dollar mark that BTC currently sits at, or even the $230 dollar mark that ETH sits at.

This seems to be a common theme -- but can anyone think of a situation(s) where xrp would reach these prices despite there being 100 billion coins? 

4 minutes ago, CryptoLearner said:

Why? 

you kidding me?!

original founder allocation: well over 20% of the entire supply! not for ripple: literally in the hands of a few people!

beyond greedy/stupid, no words to describe that level of needless self-interest

ofc since then they've worked their assess off to go back (surprise!) on that idiotic, insane decision, e.g. jed lockup, larsen's gifting, etc

but c'mon... utterly retarded, frankly i was surprised they recovered from it, in many ways they didn't deserve to but... they've done it, so kudos

Edited by Guest

2 minutes ago, zerpdigger said:

you kidding me?!

original founder allocation: well over 20% of the entire supply! not ripple: in the hands of a few people!

beyond greedy/stupid, no words to describe that level of needless self-interest

off since then they've worked their assess off to go back on that idiotic insane decision, e.g. jed lockup, larsen's gifting, etc

but c'mon... utterly retarded, frankly i was surprised they recovered from it, in many ways they didn't deserve to but... they've done it, so kudos

I see your point, but wouldn't this be no different than any publicly traded company keeping 20% of the shares for themselves/initial investors? Please excuse my ignorance, I'm fairly new to xrp (a month or so). 

Edited by CryptoLearner