new (noob) perspective

Hi all, I've been enjoying these discussions and decided to put my two zerps in :) Like many, the cryptos jumped onto my radar recently, and as I did my homework, they began to make sense to me for the first time. Easy to dip my toes in and buy a little on Coinbase, but as I studied, XRP began to make more sense to me. As a noob, I had to leave my comfort zone to get off Coinbase and take the next step and buy some BTC, go to an exchange and trade for XRP. I have a feeling that there are many more than me that have yet to take that step.

That being said, I did a little maths and was thinking, well, when all the coins are in play, 100 billion XRP and 21 million BTC, there will be 4,761 XRP to each BTC. if the prices were at parity, and say BTC is $3,,000 per, then $3,000/ 4761= $.63 all things being equal. And most of us think that XRP has a much better use case, so should eventually have more value, no? I'm not sure I got enough zeros in my billion lol, does anyone else care to speculate? I'm buying as much as I can hold btw...

@GiddyUp Hey - welcome to the forum! Great you did the research- and ended up here. Not sure where you are located, but you can buy XRP directly vs USD or EUR via exchanges like Bitstamp and Kraken (and hopefully Coinbase soon). 

Just to match Bitcoin's current marketcap, XRP would need to go to~$1.15 

And I have the same view as you..XRP should not only match, but exceed Bitcoin, given the institutional angle and clear (and unbelievably decent sized) usecase. 

I did a writeup some time ago, incl valuation scenarios, in case you care:

16 minutes ago, thunderw said:

@GiddyUp I think you will be fine. Just put it into cold wallet and do something like educating others, spread the news on XRP etc.

I learned that the biggest gains come from researching and then patiently holding, not trading or any shady ICO trades. 

agreed.

34 minutes ago, GiddyUp said:

Thanks thundrw! Will def read your articles... I caught a little beginner's luck with the BTC, bought very near the low on the dip and a couple days later it had jumped up by $800, hmm... it was kind of hard to decide what to do at that point. Traded half for more XRP, but hoping I won't regret it :nea:

You should consider backfilling the bitcoins you traded out of.  i see a bright future for bitcoin as well as xrp.

Edited by Vertigo2131

A few more thoughts... it seems that the most enthusiastic adopters of crypto are in countries with unstable/unusable currencies. And while the USD is "stable", I'm old enough to remember "penny candy", and the nickel candy bar is now a buck and a half :o Official stats say low inflation, and I don't know about you, but my staple bills continue to climb; groceries, utilities, etc. and I couldn't afford to buy my house again now! So really, if the zerp remains in it's range, isn't that a store of value? Just sayin'...

6 hours ago, GiddyUp said:

if the zerp remains in it's range, isn't that a store of value?

Thank you for making this point, everyone keeps referring to one of Bitcoin's main use cases as being a store of value, because is has a limited number of coins at 21 million, but some seem to think that XRP can't be, because it has 100 billion coins.. I've seen this argument play out on Twitter a lot.. Though, it's not the total number of coins, but what happens to them over time that matters, and in XRP's case, some are burned with each transaction, making it deflationary.  To me, that, combined with its use case, makes XRP the ultimate store of value.

On ‎24‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 8:48 AM, SimpleLife said:

Thank you for making this point, everyone keeps referring to one of Bitcoin's main use cases as being a store of value, because is has a limited number of coins at 21 million, but some seem to think that XRP can't be, because it has 100 billion coins.. I've seen this argument play out on Twitter a lot.. Though, it's not the total number of coins, but what happens to them over time that matters, and in XRP's case, some are burned with each transaction, making it deflationary.  To me, that, combined with its use case, makes XRP the ultimate store of value.

BTC might be store of value to digital currency like gold is to fiat currency, but XRP is the value of the internet IoV  as they say who ever they are!! Do you see where this is going mmmmmmm?

On 7/22/2017 at 4:28 PM, Vertigo2131 said:

You should consider backfilling the bitcoins you traded out of.  i see a bright future for bitcoin as well as xrp.

Bitcoin is hard forking 

where do u see a bright future for it.

maybe if people are still in love with the beautiful love story of btc but it's dropping fast and bitcoin cash is already at 400$

11 hours ago, Relax said:

Bitcoin is hard forking 

where do u see a bright future for it.

maybe if people are still in love with the beautiful love story of btc but it's dropping fast and bitcoin cash is already at 400$

Bitcoin is the honey badger of cryptocurrency.  Its demise has been predicted many times but it has displayed remarkable resilience.  Bitcoin cash is akin to an altcoin and it will in no way affect the long term price trajectory of Bitcoin.  I should also say that if Bitcoin fails, all cryptos (including xrp) will be taken to the woodshed.  Bitcoin is the anchor of the cryptomarket.  Even xrp (as unique as it is) responds to its gravity.  We should all root for Bitcoin. 

Edited by Vertigo2131