1 minute ago, JonHolmquist said:

@Hodor a good article might be to discuss the potential risks in investing in XRP or any crypto.

Not sure if you'd want to include it in this article too

I think we all want to forget about the first part of July, but you're right; I think it's time to give attention to the risk side of the investment as well.  I talk about diversification here, but even that really doesn't get at the risk associated with the entire industry. 

We've just seen an example of how one lead asset in the industry (BTC) can pull down all of us at the same time. 

Just now, Hodor said:

I think we all want to forget about the first part of July, but you're right; I think it's time to give attention to the risk side of the investment as well.  I talk about diversification here, but even that really doesn't get at the risk associated with the entire industry. 

We've just seen an example of how one lead asset in the industry (BTC) can pull down all of us at the same time. 

No FUD but there are a lot of things that still concern me about Ripple.

It's a new technology, everyone should still have reservations, might PM you a couple of my thoughts

No FUD but there are a lot of things that still concern me about Ripple.

It's a new technology, everyone should still have reservations, might PM you a couple of my thoughts

right on, this is all new tech, and with it comes the possibility that others leapfrog past them with the latest proven stuff

look at iota's tech... if they can do what they claim (and i think they will), they make account reserves, tx fees, and just blockchains period, look utterly pointless and frankly pretty retarded and out of date

having said that, ripple not only leads many areas, but is also very aware of new trends and breakthroughs

i trust the team and management 

6 minutes ago, zerpdigger said:

right on, this is all new tech, and with it comes the possibility that others leapfrog past them with the latest proven stuff

look at iota's tech... if they can do what they claim (and i think they will), they make account reserves, tx fees, and just blockchains period, look utterly pointless and frankly pretty retarded and out of date

having said that, ripple not only leads many areas, but is also very aware of new trends and breakthroughs

Biggest reason I support Ripple is that they're well funded and have amazing talent on their team.

11 minutes ago, zerpdigger said:

in your opinion, is IOTA a threat to Ripple? Can they both co-exist? Does IOTA have a clear use case compared to Ripple? If IOTA is successful in setting out to do what they claim, will their tech be better than Ripple at 'global settlements/cross border payments'? And is IOTA regulated? thanks in advance.

Edited by JTxrPP

3 minutes ago, JTxrPP said:

in your opinion, is IOTA a threat to Ripple? Can they both co-exist? Does IOTA have a clear use case compared to Ripple? If IOTA is successful in setting out to do what they claim, will their tech be better than Ripple at 'global settlements/cross border payments'? thanks in advance.

History is littered with superior technologies, advancements, and ideas left on the wayside.

Better is not implemented if no one is pushing it. Ripple has such a huge first mover advantage in dealing with banks + such a huge team working to spread implementation that I'm not overly worried about competition. 

Edit: Not stating that IOTA is better... just saying if they prove to be it doesn't matter if they're not implemented. 

Edited by JonHolmquist

10 minutes ago, zerpdigger said:

ripple not only leads many areas, but is also very aware of new trends and breakthroughs

Yes.

4 minutes ago, JonHolmquist said:

Biggest reason I support Ripple is that they're well funded and have amazing talent on their team.

I agree.  The "well-funded" part is, I think, going to be the "game over" part of capturing the market; As we've seen in recent threads, their stature as a US company that is now "mature" by Silicon Valley standards gives them a lot of options

Better is not implemented if no one is pushing it. Ripple has such a huge first mover advantage in dealing with banks + such a huge team working to spread implementation that I'm not overly worried about competition. 

You put into words the common sense that a lot of crypto-currency investors can't understand.  :good:

12 minutes ago, JTxrPP said:

in your opinion, is IOTA a threat to Ripple? Can they both co-exist? Does IOTA have a clear use case compared to Ripple? If IOTA is successful in setting out to do what they claim, will their tech be better than Ripple at 'global settlements/cross border payments'? And is IOTA regulated? thanks in advance.

potentially, but the pie is so huge, that even if it steals some of it away, ripple can still be wildly successfully as can iota if vice versa

iota is preparing itself and focusing on the machine economy, which is far off still but has potential e.g. in solar grids, wi-mesh tech etc

ripple is focused on cross-border settlements with some fringe use cases on top

they both overlap in some areas e.g. micropayments, offline tx, no mining / clean etc

however, iota CAN do settlement, in theory/on paper, as well as xrp if you only count the token (speed, consistency, etc) 

but this is WAY harder than just the token, you need the entire setup, the relationships, everything -- ripple miles ahead

then again, xrp can also be used offline and on paychans which make it even faster and with zero fees, to rival iota; conversely, iota's tangle can potentially scale far wider than the XRP ledger to tens of thousands of txps... but ILP is "infinitely" scalable anyway...

iota cannot be forked like blockchain, then again, ripple's governance model is preferable too...

lots of advantages to either approach but ripple as a company and product solution is miles ahead

iota will dominate in the NANO-payments space IMO, and in M2M once we get there 

Edited by zerpdigger

5 minutes ago, zerpdigger said:

ripple as a company and product solution is miles ahead

I think the key thing to focus on is the people and company and current progress along the innovation adoption curve.  These variables are going to drive actual production usage for the foreseeable future, and Ripple literally is years ahead of whatever is brewing at the competition, whether it's SWIFT or a new alt coin. 

So the only two coins I have are XRP and IOTA.  I think IOTA is going to kill all of these crypto currencies except for XRP.  They are adding key members to the team all the time.  Even though most of what you here is how IOTA will be used for the IOT and the M2M economy and they are ahead of anyone else who wants to enter into that space, with there last couple of announcements I am also beginning to think that IOTA will actually be used as an alternative currency to pay for everyday goods.  

I also think that the only other coin that will thrive is XRP.  Banks are a different breed than tech companies and organizations that are interested in the next thing that is going to change the world.  Banks care about "il dio denaro"... money.  Ripple is already way too inter-twined with the banks.  The relationships have been built and the work(testing) has been done.  Deals have been made and are being made so it is just a matter of time before this rolls out full steam ahead.  They drastically improve the way they can send currency and they can save them a lot of money and I do not see the banks caring at all wether or not it is a blockchain or a tangle.  Now we don't know all the different kinds of projects that are being worked on with IOTA.  Do they have a partnership or are working with a group or company that wants to do what ripple/xrp are attempting? Who knows and it won't matter because the leg work with the banks is done and the product is tested and known.  IOTA is to far behind to compete with Ripple/XRP in the banking world.

I also think that these bitcoin,ether, etc. are done in a few years.  Maybe not bitcoin if it turns into something that people store wealth into but I can't see that happening.  

XRP 2-5 year play and IOTA 5-10 year play

XRP... priceless....for everything else there is IOTA

Edited by Joseph

Great works as always @Hodorand all this good information just motivates me more to fix my resume/CV and apply for a job at Ripple.  They have opening positions that I can qualify but I am afraid to submit my applications through their website.  A lot of times, applicants will never know what will be up with their applications.  Well, I thought that I should consider  working for a company where its successes will be my successes and in even much more significant ways than just options and money.    Sorry to sound bombastic here but I live in SV and it can only do more goods for me than it can hurt....

Well, please vote for Ripple/XRPs with your money.  The line starts here....