Is Ripple prepared for quantum computer attacks?

edge

2 hours ago, Sukrim said:

DWAVE systems are adiabatic quantum computers, not general ones. Good for specific workloads, but crypto is not amongst these.

Do you think they cannot implement shor's algorithm? They said they were able to factorize into primes a number with 7 digits.

1 hour ago, tulo said:

Do you think they cannot implement shor's algorithm? They said they were able to factorize into primes a number with 7 digits.

That's a LOT of orders of magnitude off of what an actual quantum computer with 2000 qbits would be capable of. You can even simulate quantum computers on a non-quantum machine (itll be just extremely slow...), so they likely can run shor's algorithm, since even your smart phone can run it. It doesn't seem like it can run it in polynomial time though.

• 11 months later...
On 7/6/2017 at 11:42 AM, JoelKatz said:

Yes. Additional algorithms can easily be added, just as we added Ed25519. Existing accounts can be re-secured with a new key if desired. So you won't need a new ripple address.

We haven't actually added any quantum-safe algorithms yet because none of the ones available today are perfect for our use case. And any algorithm we add we'll have to support forever. So we'd prefer to wait as long as we safely can so that we'll have the most information to make the choice of algorithm(s) to implement.

Could you ( @JoelKatz, @nikb, @Hodor) please explain me in details how could be re-secured existing ripple accounts with new keys? Or could you recommend me an article/blog about this topic for getting some knowledge? According to my understanding Ripple address is a public key (starting with 'r') which has a unique private key (starting with ''s'; private -, public key typically generated by wallet_propose). How is it possible to generate new private key (with new key_type) without changing  public key (you mentioned we don't need new ripple address )?

21 hours ago, jlr said:

Could you ( @JoelKatz, @nikb, @Hodor) please explain me in details how could be re-secured existing ripple accounts with new keys? Or could you recommend me an article/blog about this topic for getting some knowledge? According to my understanding Ripple address is a public key (starting with 'r') which has a unique private key (starting with ''s'; private -, public key typically generated by wallet_propose). How is it possible to generate new private key (with new key_type) without changing  public key (you mentioned we don't need new ripple address )?

An XRP Ledger account is associated with a master key (technically, a seed; the thing which begins with s). That cannot be changed.

However, an XRP Ledger account also has another, optional, key: a regular key. And that can be changed. The regular key is not set by default. By setting it and then disabling the master key, you can effectively “rekey” the account.

The regular key can be any valid key type (e.g. you can set an ed25519 regular key on an account that has a secp256k1 master key).

Additionally, you could set a multisign list (again, each entry in the list can be any valid key type) and then disable the master key.

For more, check out https://developers.ripple.com/cryptographic-keys.html

• 1 month later...

An interesting fairly recent MIT article:

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/609408/quantum-computers-pose-imminent-threat-to-bitcoin-security/

I work with High Performance Compute and Cryptography customers. I am now seeing uptake on Quantum systems just starting to appear in customers aside from the hyperscalers and Security agencies. I still think we are a few years away, but I suspect someone will be able to regenerate BTC private keys at will in the next 5   years. 

To avoid going the way of BTC, I’d expect XRP will adopt a range of new Cryptographic techniques and probably a degree of Blockchain obfuscation to prevent Quantum attack.

There are ways to do this, which is the good news.

Edited by Mikhail_Liebenstein

• 6 months later...