edge

Is Ripple prepared for quantum computer attacks?

With ever increasing achievements towards a fully usable quantum computer by so many nations, is there a plan in place to secure against quantum computers (if not done already)?
@JoelKatz it would be great if you could give us your insights in this matter. Cheers!

Edited by edge

Yeah I doubt there are any real quantum computers out yet, and even if they were I'd doubt they'd be able to run perfectly let alone send out an attack. Maybe in the next 5 - 10 years

Thanks for all the replies. I'm still quite new to blockchain  technologies.

I was curious about this since I'm looking at Ripple/XRP and the rest of cryptos in long term. And yes, probably they are quite a few years away, but we will probably never know when the first one will become fully operational and in whose hands it will be, better safe than sorry. Same as with general purpose AI.

Edited by edge

4 hours ago, Sukrim said:

Dwave systems are great for quantum annealing (they are used for https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adiabatic_quantum_computation), but not for crypto work. They are a special class of quantum computers, not the "general" type people are looking forward to.

Yes, but for how long, since everything can be tailored to specific needs. Few years ago it wasn't so essential for them to concentrate the project on crypto currencies. With this massive hype (perhaps earlier), no doubt they are looking into it.

1 hour ago, edge said:

Yes, but for how long, since everything can be tailored to specific needs. Few years ago it wasn't so essential for them to concentrate the project on crypto currencies. With this massive hype (perhaps earlier), no doubt they are looking into it.

Sorry, but I don't really get what you are trying to say. Do you suggest that adiabatic quantum computers are useful for attacking crypto primitives like ECDSA or SHA2 hashes? Or that there is even at least ongoing research in this area? If yes, I'm more than interested if you could link some papers.

It seems a 2000 qbits quantum computer is available (but some are skeptical): https://www.dwavesys.com/press-releases/d-wave announces d-wave-2000q-quantum-computer-and-first-system-order

Looking at the pace this is evolving I think in 2-3 years EVERYONE should implement post-quantum cryptography.

Imagine quantum cumputers will be able to hack everything but XRP, it would be the new money of the world :)

Edited by tulo

I bought some qrl - quantum resistant ledger. I figure even if ripple implements quantum safe algorithms who's to say there won't be a great culling of the 1000+ blockchains. 

Edited by jargoman

On 20.8.2017 at 9:01 PM, tulo said:

It seems a 2000 qbits quantum computer is available (but some are skeptical): https://www.dwavesys.com/press-releases/d-wave announces d-wave-2000q-quantum-computer-and-first-system-order

DWAVE systems are adiabatic quantum computers, not general ones. Good for specific workloads, but crypto is not amongst these.