Sign in to follow this  
DanB

Doing Your Part

First post here - I'm extremely excited about what Ripple can potentially accomplish within the next 3-10 years. I keep telling myself this opportunity is too good to be true, but then I remember how few people actually know about XRP (let alone crypto in general) and I sleep easy knowing I'm potentially an early adopter of a highly disruptive technology. I'm a recent NYU grad with a degree in Media Theory so I'm not savvy on the ins and outs of the tech itself, but the concept is simple enough to understand once you perform due diligence.

Dovetailing off that point, I've been trying to pitch Ripple and XRP to as many people as I can. I have several friends interning at large banks such as Goldman and BNY Mellon, and they all agree that Ripple has a chance to lead the emerging fintech market. I think I even sold my roommate - he asked me the other day how he could get a hold of some zerps!

I just graduated in May so I'm a little bit cash-strapped, but once I get situated - and out from under all this debt - I plan on incrementally increasing my stash at a reasonable pace. I think it's important that we try to spread awareness on this. I'm lucky to live in Manhattan, so I come into contact with a ton of people on a daily basis. If you really want Ripple (and more importantly for us, XRP) to succeed, then do your part! Don't just sit on the sidelines.

I'm excited to be a part of this forum going forward. I find the entire crypto world incredibly fascinating, and it's rare to find an online community as supportive and high-IQ as this one. Have a good one, guys!

EDIT: When I advocate for XRP and Ripple, it is ONLY to build awareness. Never - I repeat NEVER!!!!!! - try to pitch XRP as if it's a sure thing. Invest what you are willing to lose, and keep those fingers crossed. The more people in the general public we can inform the better! But it's important to understand this is a speculative investment - NOTHING IS GUARANTEED

Edited by DanB
Disclaimer

I think our part is to build a knowledgeable, informative, and positive community right here. We shouldn't go out and be shills trying to advertise XRP. Talking about something you genuinely find promising within your established circles of trust is one thing, going out of your way to sell the idea of XRP to everyone you meet is something else entirely.

"If you build it, [they] will come"

Our role is creating a strong and high quality community that people will want to be a part of.

Edited by Fnord

12 minutes ago, Fnord said:

I think our part is to build a knowledgeable, informative, and positive community right here. We shouldn't go out and be shills trying to advertise XRP. Talking about something you genuinely find promising within your established circles of trust is one thing, going out of your way to sell the idea of XRP to everyone you meet is something else entirely.

"If you build it, [they] will come"

Our role is creating a strong and high quality community that people will want to be a part of.

If you want to build a high quality community then you probably shouldn't call new members shills in their introductory post.

I take your point, though. Obviously I'm not saying go out and annoy people. But crypto has been a hot topic for several months. In the appropriate setting a little promotion goes a long way. I guess my luxury retail job in college has turned me into somewhat of a sleazy salesman LOL.

Edited by DanB

1 minute ago, DanB said:

If you want to build a high quality community, then you probably shouldn't call new members shills in their introductory post.

I take your point, though. Obviously I'm not saying go out and annoy people. But crypto has been a hot topic for several months. In the appropriate setting a little promotion goes a long way. I guess my luxury retail job in college has turned me into somewhat of a sleazy salesman LOL.

I wasn't calling you a shill--no offence was intended! I meant only to advise against shill-like (shillish?) behaviour in the hypothetical of what is entailed by doing our part.

Welcome, by the way. :)

As a newbie, I find some of the posts quite interesting and informative. Though I will admit I haven't made my mind up as to whether this is a self-serving appreciation society or individuals who hope XRP has a place in the world. I will say I only got in to buying XRP because some global banks are using Ripple and hopefully XRP for cross boarder exchanges between banks. I think bitcoin still has a stigma attached to it because of it's black market use! So I have no interest in buying any.

Now about getting the word out! while I would have no problem talking about crypto currencies with people who are interested. I 100% agree with Fnord. I do not think it is for anyone to try and sell Ripple to anyone. It is still a high risk investment, and chances are 50/50 as to how it will perform over the months and years. Unless you have money you can afford to lose, and have an idea of what you are doing it would be a mistake. Unless someone asks how to buy Ripple I would never try to talk anyone into buying it. That is plain wrong. Besides that is Ripples job. 

As an example when I mentioned to a friend that I had bought some Ripple, and that maybe he should take a look at it. His immediate response was to say it is a Ponzi scheme! While I could see his point. I do not think it is for me to make him see otherwise. His lose and maybe my gain if Ripple does what it says on the tin.  

For me it is just a hobby with spare money I can afford to lose while I have had some trading experience I have only been buying XRP this past few days. I have no intention of trying to guess where it is going value wise, to me to suggest it's possible value in the future is like ******* in the wind! and smacks of desperation to see it perform. It will do what ever it does when ever it does it.

Anyway, hello to all and you may find I put the cat amongst  the Pigeons in some of the replies I make to posts though I am as happy to sit back and watch. I will try to be polite!

13 minutes ago, Charliemango2 said:

Unless you have money you can afford to lose, and have an idea of what you are doing it would be a mistake. Unless someone asks how to buy Ripple I would never try to talk anyone into buying it. That is plain wrong.

No disagreement there! When I pitch this technology it's only to build awareness. I'm not a broker, financial adviser, or anything of that ilk. Only invest an amount you would feel comfortable losing entirely!!!  I have a strong belief in the fundamentals of Ripple and XRP - but I'm not so uninformed to think this is some automatic get rich quick scheme. I've done my research, and I know the risks.

Edited by DanB

Welcome to the forum, @DanB!

2 hours ago, DanB said:

I've been trying to pitch Ripple and XRP to as many people as I can. I have several friends interning at large banks such as Goldman and BNY Mellon

I think many of us have been in a position where being armed with the right knowledge at the right time could be helpful to Ripple. The problem, as I see it, is that many of us aren't armed with good enough info to be all that helpful (myself included). If it were up to me, everybody on this forum would be able to crank out the best damn sales pitch without blinking an eye.

But instead, we mostly speculate and are left to our own devices.

2 hours ago, DanB said:

I'm lucky to live in Manhattan, so I come into contact with a ton of people on a daily basis. If you really want Ripple (and more importantly for us, XRP) to succeed, then do your part! Don't just sit on the sidelines.

I could not agree more.  If everybody that is a part of this forum just made it a point to explain to one new person a week what XRP and Ripple is, I think the "ripples" would fast become "waves..."

In your introduction, you humbly admit that you don't understand all of the tech behind it, and that you're a Media Theory graduate. 

We need developers, project leaders, entrepreneurs, and we also need knowledgeable media users to help us get further along in the innovation adoption curve!  Even though XRP and Ripple technology are literally peerless at the moment, we need to be able to spread the message effectively and accurately.  The news media have already started to understand at least the basics, and it's been re-assuring to see some of the recent mainstream articles, but we need to build our community of media-savvy writers and communicators to help connect people together. 

Thank you for your post - it sends a very positive message! :yes3:

43 minutes ago, TiffanyHayden said:

think many of us have been in a position where being armed with the right knowledge at the right time could be helpful to Ripple. The problem, as I see it, is that many of us aren't armed with good enough info to be all that helpful (myself included). If it were up to me, everybody on this forum would be able to crank out the best damn sales pitch without blinking an eye.

I would be curious to know how Ripple would feel about that?

6 minutes ago, Charliemango2 said:

I would be curious to know how Ripple would feel about that?

I think I should clarify that I didn't mean a sales pitch for purchasing XRP.  Ripple works with banks to transform how they send money around the world. I don't think any of us can really explain how in a simple and articulate manner because I don't think we even know what specific "solutions" are available. I keep hearing new names and terms.

Why not do a sales pitch? There's nothing morally wrong with believing in something and making others believe it too. Ultimately, it is up to the individual to decide if they want to follow the belief or move on to something else. You are not holding anyone at gunpoint to jump on the Ripple train. But if you think Ripple and XRP are as amazing and groundbreaking as you all here tend to say they are, why hold back and advise caution? It is no scam, it has solid use case, amazing team of people working on it, it has international institutions partnering and cooperating with more getting on board pretty much every day. You don't see this in many other crypto coins, so why not sell it as it is?

Sure, there's risk involved, but such risk is associated with every single action an individual takes every day, and the level of this risk is merely a matter of perception. If people are adults then they should behave like adults, taking risks and assuming responsibility for your own actions and decisions is what it takes to be one. Why do people these days  seem to need nursing through everything, warning labels on everyday goods and so on? It is beyond ridiculous.

I say stand your ground. If you believe in something, if you yourself are willing to put your money at risk, then you should be not afraid to push that belief - people need to grow up and make their decisions for themselves.

Edited by Guest

To be clear, within my established circles I have told people about XRP and am certain I have been an influence in more than one investment. So please do not think that I am against spreading the word in general. It is important though imo to approach this issue with some caution. For instance I will simply present the information of what XRP is and why I believe it has potential. I try to be informative, but will not apply any pressure that the person(s) I am talking to should also invest. If t hey seem disinterested I will not stop. I seek only to provide the information to enable them make up their own minds. Personally when someone comes to me pushing an agenda, I become instantly distrustful. Objective information about something you are genuinely enthusiastic towards, presented to an appropriate audience, seems much more powerful than a sales pitch.

To summarise how I feel: it's better to build something that people will want to be a part of than to push something that they might not.

Edited by Fnord

8 hours ago, Ylod said:

Why not do a sales pitch? There's nothing morally wrong with believing in something and making others believe it too. Ultimately, it is up to the individual to decide if they want to follow the belief or move on to something else. You are not holding anyone at gunpoint to jump on the Ripple train. But if you think Ripple and XRP are as amazing and groundbreaking as you all here tend to say they are, why hold back and advise caution? It is no scam, it has solid use case, amazing team of people working on it, it has international institutions partnering and cooperating with more getting on board pretty much every day. You don't see this in many other crypto coins, so why not sell it as it is?

Sure, there's risk involved, but such risk is associated with every single action an individual takes every day, and the level of this risk is merely a matter of perception. If people are adults then they should behave like adults, taking risks and assuming responsibility for your own actions and decisions is what it takes to be one. Why do people these days  seem to need nursing through everything, warning labels on everyday goods and so on? It is beyond ridiculous.

I say stand your ground. If you believe in something, if you yourself are willing to put your money at risk, then you should be not afraid to push that belief - people need to grow up and make their decisions for themselves.

I approach it from a reasonable middle ground. Every person I've talked to about Ripple's tech has been sold on its use case and potential value by the end of the conversation. But that isn't quite the heart of the issue. As valuable as this tech may one day be - to implore people to funnel their money into a speculative investment without mentioning the risk isn't really ethical, no matter how good of a chance this has to succeed. Like you said, individuals make their own decisions. This doesn't mean I'm not advertising the heck out of this stuff; I'm just not shoving it down their throats.

You can lead a horse to water - but you can't force it to drink. I believe it's our job to push people in the right direction, not to outright throw them off the cliff.

Edited by DanB