Nadopooh

Why sell xrp to individuals?

Hi, I am first of all living in a non-English language so I ask for your understanding of the context.
(Using Google Translator)

I wonder why ripple labs sell xrp to individuals.

I know that xrp was issued to serve as a single currency to facilitate transactions within the ripple network and
the primary customers of this ripple network are banks and corporations

I think the role individuals can play in this ripple network is extremely limited or not at all.

I do not understand why xrp, which is used in a limited area, is sold to an individual on the exchange, in a small number of companies introducing a ripple network.

But I think xrp is not likely to be used in on-off-line shopping malls like Bitcoin outside the ripple network.

I think the price formation of xrp should be done by the mutual consultation of the main user Ripple network insiders.

Is there any way for an individual to use xrp in or out of the ripple network?

What do you think?

To start with, individuals can just use it the same as banks do. You can buy XRP and send it to somebody else with a ripple address without waiting for weeks before your transfer is received by the other party. Furthermore, besides of banks there are also big investors that like to have some XRP. I also think that it is not a matter of or, but banks and individuals can also participate both in a cryptocurrency network.

However, when XRP grows as a currency(and having it a lot of pros above cons) in the future it can also become a great service to become a payment service.

Just my personal opinion on it.

If banks currently used their own individual token, did not use Dollars, Euros, punds, yen, etc, the same currencies as individual users, they would have a usless token.  For a token to be successful, it has to be accepted by the general populace and not just the banks.

4 hours ago, Nadopooh said:

I know that xrp was issued to serve as a single currency to facilitate transactions within the ripple network and

I think the role individuals can play in this ripple network is extremely limited or not at all.

I do not understand why xrp, which is used in a limited area, is sold to an individual on the exchange, in a small number of companies introducing a ripple network.

I think the price formation of xrp should be done by the mutual consultation of the main user Ripple network insiders.

When XRP was created, the vision for Ripple's use-cases were clear, but the route to get there was still very vague (Jed had differing ideas & ILP was not yet envisioned). It was (and still is) normal for ICOs and the sale of tokens to form a revenue stream, although in Ripple's case they also had very good institutional funding.

So it isn't really a matter of 'why' XRP can be sold/held by individuals, but just knowing that it always had been in Ripple's history. As of now, some utility in providing liquidity and token acceptance can be viewed as the main reasons as to why XRP continues to be held by individual public hands.

5 hours ago, Nadopooh said:

But I think xrp is not likely to be used in on-off-line shopping malls like Bitcoin outside the ripple network.

With payments use-case coming online soon™, XRP can and will probably be filling that role as a payment currency held by individuals. But for that to go full steam, there is a lot more work to be done in getting the masses to know of, and accept XRP as a recognized digital currency.

6 hours ago, Nadopooh said:

Hi, I am first of all living in a non-English language so I ask for your understanding of the context.

What do you think?

So many reasons, and very good questions. A very nice analogy i wish to provide is that of the internet. when internet was starting it only made sense for Bell and similar companies to have switching networks and large bandwidth lines ... they were called loops and backbone lines. and then only loops were provided as network loop service to businesses. 

AT&T and similar players brought some bandwidth and "licenses" as investment. many others did too. Some of them just leased it, some of them rented it, some became ISP's and some just remained investors letting other companies use bandwidth and underlying infrastructure. 

it is only after a decade and more, small offices and others would have a full fledged corporate internet connections.... but still everything was synchronous up-link/down-link equal lines.  only slowly residential internet connections came into existence. 

but at that time, people would ask why would a person need internet at home, just so that he can "chat" with another person on some messaging boards ? people woudl say , wait and hold on... keep that bandwidth, it is going to get costly .. as websites come online on the network and provide various services... 

people would say websites ? what websites ? what and how much service could a virtual website provide without a real office ? come on you could not be serious right ? 

long story short- we are where we are today .. 

what would you do with a "bandwidth" for a new kind of internet that is coming alive - internet of value ? how could you use it really ? can you turn it into businesses ? can u turn it into services ? is it going to be at a premium ? can you use it for providing a service that needs certain "amount" of value bandwidth ? 

I want you to take it from here, and figure things out . I can give you some examples .. check what people are already thinking of doing .. check what gatehub is doing .. check what rccloud is pulling liquidity for , especially for small payments... 

could you provide liquidity just by holding xrp and signing up to be a provider in a pool like an exchange pool ? 

akin to having a house that you can "rent" for an income ... and that's the crudest of all use cases .. almost everything else is a better one .. :-) 

good luck.  R8

11 minutes ago, franz said:

I think it 'can' be more fundamental then that. in other words, after a few years - just like today's internet, you will 'lease' or 'need' XRP for a certain amount of "value" bandwidth. in other words, no one would be ready to sell XRP permanently,

>> instead only lease it monthly, yearly or longer term contract basis for those who want that for "running certain operations - example the money transfer app that you have pasted, and 100's more.... 
>> OR be owners of such services yourself ( example start a company to provide retail payments and points of service - POS - just one example ) . 

Please distinguish between being able to hold "Permanent" bandwidth on the value internet versus just enabling a certain service. just like water ... it can be recycled, reused and permanent - it will never be tainted, or change its properties permanently .. it will carry any value - enable services and return back to the sender after doing its job .

best way is to think of it a value-water. you can lease it for a hospital to run ICU drip machines one day - another day you can lease it for bottling, another day for cleanign or even better you the XRP holder can yourself run and own one of these 'essential' services on the internet of value.

the permanent and reusable factor of a vlue network is hard to grasp but that is where the 1000 time growth potential and magic lies.... those who understand before the masses will be the early birds :-) 

hope that helps.. i can give so many examples that's going to blow the mind and each one can be worth a million dollar business at the least .. but i am going to shut up as it is the prerogative of those who take time to learn and put effort and i shoudl not dilute their efforts by exposing that effortlessly to everybody ...  

when Chris initially described this in 2013 , In a video, i was like dumb stuck, but i was able to understand only because i was wondering about the disparity between IP Packets for information on internet and non-existence of a equivalent for value. I did think world would catch on to this at least after many years.. as in 8 to 10 years.. but i under estimated and the world has lot of talented people, and seems to be catching on very quickly. its only 2017 and i know many businesses get this and the potential clearly... 

Kindly, R8 

Edited by R8102V1D2D

8 hours ago, Nadopooh said:

What do you think?

I've been dreaming of the day I could use XRP to do international outsourcing in a much easier way.

Currently I live in Finland where the price of some digital services that could be done from anywhere (graphic design, copywriting web design, apps, etc) are waaaaay too expensive for what I could get them back home. 

If I wanted to pay someone back home to do me a work it would be such a struggle to send the money since there's a lot of FX fees involved and banks would be all over my skull asking why I'm sending so much money away instead of keeping it flowing inside the country.

Imagine the day where I just can send just one kind of currency that will be accepted anywhere regardless the country because it could be easily converted into cash at any bank (because they would be the first to adopt it).

Imagine if XRP could become that global currency which every country trades, I could eventually hire anyone from home to deliver a cheaper and better service than I would get here in Finland. For me that's the next level of globalisation and a huge step up of competition for all of us. 

For me XRP could be the key to unlock this potential, although it carries consequences for those who can't compete with the price of competition offering cheaper service because of privileged location.

I know prices in Finland are high because of the living costs, but when it comes to business and maxing profits you will use every tool out there right?

What do you guys think? Are we on the bridge of connecting the world financially?

1 minute ago, ravintolx said:

I've been dreaming of the day I could use XRP to do international outsourcing in a much easier way.

Currently I live in Finland where the price of some digital services that could be done from anywhere (graphic design, copywriting web design, apps, etc) are waaaaay too expensive for what I could get them back home. 

If I wanted to pay someone back home to do me a work it would be such a struggle to send the money since there's a lot of FX fees involved and banks would be all over my skull asking why I'm sending so much money away instead of keeping it flowing inside the country.

Imagine the day where I just can send just one kind of currency that will be accepted anywhere regardless the country because it could be easily converted into cash at any bank (because they would be the first to adopt it).

Imagine if XRP could become that global currency which every country trades, I could eventually hire anyone from home to deliver a cheaper and better service than I would get here in Finland. For me that's the next level of globalisation and a huge step up of competition for all of us. 

For me XRP could be the key to unlock this potential, although it carries consequences for those who can't compete with the price of competition offering cheaper service because of privileged location.

I know prices in Finland are high because of the living costs, but when it comes to business and maxing profits you will use every tool out there right?

What do you guys think? Are we on the bridge of connecting the world financially?

@JoelKatz since you're online: is this a possible scenario with XRP?

9 hours ago, Nadopooh said:

What do you think?

....I think that real Bright Minds - shall not drop diamond dust in front of The Blind.....