What is "x current" as a Ripple Product?

I know there is Connect, which I think started out as Gatewayd, and includes a bundle of other stuff, including RCL I believe...

...but this is the first I have heard of "x current".

Is this the old MM software that was "Steam" or "Stream", (I dont remember exactly what it was called). They used to have 2 options, Connect and Something, one was geared towards Banks and payments usecase, while I think the other product was for Liquidity providers & Market Makers.

The site only shows Connect & ILP now.

Edited by KarmaCoverage
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Where you hear "x current", think Ripple Connect.

All of the software that runs the public ledger system is open source. This is roughly analogous to the bitcoin source code. Ripple's "secret sauce" software is what adapts banking systems to pro

@14:02 and a previous mention. https://soundcloud.com/bitcoin-podcast/the-900-billion-problem-how-ripple-makes-bank-to-bank-transfers-compliance-faster-cheaper#t=14:02 I know there is Connect, whi

Listened to about 10 minutes and heard some great stuff. Stefan described "x current" as a "messaging platform". X current sounds a lot like my understanding of Ripple Connect.

Also, it's very interesting that XRP adoption is the second major focus on their roadmap after bank adoption.

40 minutes ago, Max Entropy said:

Does anyone know where 'Ripple Connect' source is on GitHub?

This is the software solution they're selling to banks which handles fee visibility and messaging but settles over existing payments rails (at least currently). I believe we saw at some point that they were charging $10M for a license or something like that. I may be wrong (haven't check), but I don't believe they're sharing the code nor will they. :D

@Xi195

I have thought as much for some time... NikB will make a big deal of open source... but I do not think the real product releases are restricted to the public GitHib repositories.

In fact, if I was feeling conspiratorial... I would be wondering what the actual percentage split is between private and public source code. 

I guess, this is another example of the real differences between Bitcoin and Ripple governance models.

Edited by Guest
1 hour ago, Max Entropy said:

I guess, this is another example of the real differences between Bitcoin and Ripple governance models.

Ripple is a corporation unlike Bitcoin. That fact alone will result in many fundamental differences between the two.

3 hours ago, Xi195 said:

This is the software solution they're selling to banks which handles fee visibility and messaging but settles over existing payments rails (at least currently). I believe we saw at some point that they were charging $10M for a license or something like that. I may be wrong (haven't check), but I don't believe they're sharing the code nor will they. :D

I'm not sure settlement is "over existing payment rails".

“The Internet of Value is already operational and it is ‘Powered by Ripple’.”

I think what is happening, is happening nostro/vostro style,  rcl.bankA > ilp > rcl.bankB , "rcl" being the "rails".

...Dip a toe in first.. use the new tech.. but do it the old model way = adoption cycle stage is early.

7 hours ago, Max Entropy said:

@Xi195

I have thought as much for some time... NikB will make a big deal of open source... but I do not think the real product releases are restricted to the public GitHib repositories.

In fact, if I was feeling conspiratorial... I would be wondering what the actual percentage split is between private and public source code. 

All of the software that runs the public ledger system is open source. This is roughly analogous to the bitcoin source code.

Ripple's "secret sauce" software is what adapts banking systems to protocols like ILP or public ledgers. This software handles things that have nothing to do with crypto-currencies or public ledgers such as end-to-end payment negotiation between FIs.

Anyone is free to build anything they want on top of XRP's public ledger or any other public ledger. They are free to make it open source or closed source as they wish.

It's not inconceivable that we might make the banking software open source at some point in the future. I don't think it would accomplish all that much though since it really is targeted exclusively at integration with FIs.

Hi @JoelKatz

The key to open source in the financial environment is that of demonstrating that the system is, what one says it is... and that one does not have to re-invent the metaphorical wheel.  Without the source code and the ability to replicate the installation, all bets are off.

For me, the insights gained from looking at open source, say for cloud based systems, is that the reader is able to understand the business model, data models, and system architecture from the source code.

The interesting part of crypto is that we, the people, have a chance to render the 'middle-men' - quaint... that is, of historical interest only. Bitcoin is doing this by enabling by-pass. Ripple presents another approach with I refer to a as - slow-bleed. With crypto networks the banks will have reduced revenues and the thus the middle-men will have fewer cruise missiles at their disposal. 

--

If Ripple were to provide the source code for the cloud platform, the process of dis-intermediation would be facilitated.

--

We have opposing views.

Edited by Guest
Guest dfault123
6 hours ago, Max Entropy said:

The interesting part of crypto is that we, the people, have a chance to render the 'middle-men' - quaint... that is, of historical interest only. Bitcoin is doing this by enabling by-pass. 

So it's about selecting whether to trust in a cartel of mining pools, rather than the traditional FIs. It's all about that. Sure it's a bypass, but is it an improvement?