JonHolmquist

Who are the Ripple Validators?

2 hours ago, Rabbit_Kick_Club said:

In 2015 Microsoft announced they were running a validator. There are many potential reasons that they might not have linked the validator to their domain.

Just because you are not aware of something does not mean that it isn't happening or that it doesn't exist. One aspect of blockchain technology that appeals to me personally is the inherent trust free nature of the network. I don't believe Ripple has enough validators yet to be an inherently trustless network, however, they have indicated that this is a priority, and I am hoping that soon we will have enough diverse validators that we don't need to implicitly trust any one (or group of) validators.

I must respectfully point out that you are making claims without any factual basis either direction. A more accurate statement might be "Until those entities go public about it, I do not trust that they are running validators". Again, it is important to separate your personal experience or belief from fact.

In my opinion, segregating fact from fiction is important now more than ever, as we see many new folks getting into cryptos. I would guess that anyone who has watched the Troll Box (RIP) or any of the forums knows that there are a lot of new investors who are hungry for information and extremely vulnerable to misinformation.

Similarly, you did not include the Rabbit Kick Club in your list of independent validators. Your reason: You don't know who this "Scott Branson" character is. However, your research efforts were limited in that you made no effort to email the Rabbit Kick Club. Similarly, had you Googled "Scott Branson Michigan" (i.e., the info from the WHOIS), you would have found that I am an assistant professor of counseling at an internationally known University. If you want to verify that, consider going to my personal website, jscottbranson.com (also accessible through scottbranson.com). As my CV (that's what us faculty folk call a resume...) is posted publicly, you should be able to easily verify that I have no formal background in tech (I specialize in using tech w/ teaching), that I have never spent time in SF, etc. etc.

I hope that you don't take this as me trying to be a jerk or call you out. I simply believe that it is important that we understand the difference between speculation or opinion and fact. I hope that you will expand your research efforts and add Rabbit Kick Club to your list of diversified validators, as right now I read your OP as implying that we are a made up entity that is associated with Ripple, which is inaccurate.

I very much support your idea that Ripple should post cross signed domain names/validator keys.

I stated it as fact because of how consensus works. This isn't like Bitcoin with trustless nodes. It isn't PoS or PoW. 

You need identified entities on your UNL that you can confirm won't collude together to defraud you.

You need to know who they are. Otherwise consensus as it is set up (with so few nodes) doesn't work.

Having Microsoft running an unnamed validator is as useful as having them run rippled. 

Still good for people to get exposure at Microsoft but until their validator is announced and supported by the company, no one will use it and it is functionally dead in the water. 

---

As for your own validator, can you include some of that information on your website and cross link between the two websites? I'd love to add you guys to the list of nodes that are identified at the bottom. It took me hours to search for each validator and try to find verification of their existence. I didn't have that much time to spend looking very deeply into each site.

I'm not claiming you're a made up entity at all, but without verification of some sort, that people can trust (since nothing is ever 100% verifiable, especially when it comes to someone's background) I didn't include entities on the list.

On 6/20/2017 at 12:34 PM, JonHolmquist said:

I stated it as fact because of how consensus works.

Each network participant can use their own criteria to determine how likely validators are to collude. E.g., if Bank X posts on their website saying they will launch a validator, and a new unverified validator comes online at about the same time, one might infer that X is running the validator, even if it isn't verified. Thus, I still don't see this as a "fact". I see it as a "We don't have enough information to trust that MS is running a validator".

"Until those entities go public about it, they're not running a validator" and "It prob. makes no sense to trust they are running a validator" have completely different meanings.

Until now, you had no idea who was behind our validator, however, it is a fact that we were running the validator during that time. You had no reason to trust our validator, but it was running. Other people who we personally knew might have made a different decision to trust our validator - trust is subjective.

I agree that MS's validator is essentially dead in the water, until they are more public w/ it (assuming it even exists). I also agree that more participants is the only way to prevent collusion. Since there are about six of us non-Ripple-affiliates running validators, trust is inherently lacking. Even if you know I am not affiliated w/ Ripple, they could offer me a huge sum or XRP to collude w/ them in some way or another. They could also potentially trick me into colluding through a malicious rippled update.

On 6/20/2017 at 12:34 PM, JonHolmquist said:

It took me hours to search for each validator and try to find verification of their existence. I didn't have that much time to spend looking very deeply into each site.

I prob. should have said this earlier, but we really appreciate you doing this work! It is quite useful to have an understanding of which unverified validators are run by potential employees. Knowing this scratched an itch, so to speak.

Edited by Rabbit_Kick_Club

@JonHolmquist Yes I personally do appreciate your work. I have learned a little bit more in the way of making my validator count. That is all that we want. Our validator is running at:

xilobyte.homelinux.com

Public Key:  nHBubZQgS42LCPgnjzsSXy6Z8SqiPicbinV3XKNgi6b43zvKBb5u

We have created out Ripple.txt 

Edited by Xilobyte

27 minutes ago, Xilobyte said:

@JonHolmquist Yes I personally do appreciate your work. I have learned a little bit more in the way of making my validator count. That is all that we want. Our validator is running at:

xilobyte.homelinux.com

Can you make a ripple.txt on xilobyte.com as well to prove ownership?

1 hour ago, Xilobyte said:

xilobyte.homelinux.com

@Xilobyte, you might want to check out Lets Encrypt for free SSL certificates. Right now your xilobyte.homelinux.com certificate is self-signed and xilobyte.com seems to use SSL certificates that are only valid for *.hostgator.com domains. Having an SSL certificate that chains to a well known CA and that matches your domain are important factors in trust building.

4 minutes ago, Xilobyte said:

@JonHolmquist yes of course but that server is in another county and not a validation server. Does that matter?

It shouldn't. Our rabbitkick.club web/email server is a completely different server from the server that we use for our validator. Adding the ripple.txt to your xilobyte.com site provides others with evidence that the same person who controls xilobyte.com controls the validator.

12 hours ago, Rabbit_Kick_Club said:

The validator provides access to every transaction that has happened on the network as well as every wallet that has been created on the network, so it essentially provides a complete data set for XRP. One of our future goals is to develop a way to integrate R (or similar statistical software) with the validator's database to run regression analyses against network data to model/predict future trends. This idea could be taken a step further, by implementing machine learning to use a more diverse range of statistical analyses in response to specific market situation.

You should talk to @pedrorechez, one of the authors of: 

@Rabbit_Kick_Club Putting a SSL on my Xilobyte domain will have little to do with trust. The Certbot certificates are untrusted still in my browser as they fail to pass all tests. And if you have not read, there are thousands of fake SSL, organizations and whatnot who are posing to be real.  So since Certbot or Let's Encrypt can not produce a valid certificate, and I do not need SSL to conduct operations on my main domain, I am not paying for "trust" from anyone else. SSL is not meant to provide you with "feel good" trust. It is an encryption standard designed to encrypt your traffic. It only has some personality to it so that the user can attempt to identify who is the encryptor of their traffic. Of course I would not mind it, it simply is not a method of identification. ICANN is as close as it gets on the internet and my whois data is spot on.

Edited by Xilobyte