Sign in to follow this  
Hodor

XRP, Ripple, and The Difference Between Privacy and Anonymity

i think fiat needs to go digital to solve for the same issue tbh, that is, ensure consumer/personal privacy but remove anonymity

my prediction is we'll end up with the same ongoing compromise we have with e.g. wiretapping, or warrants even -- a court order will grant access to the ID and tx history of the person doing "bad things" on the network, but otherwise privacy will be assured for the avg citizen

From my understanding. Using the ILP and Ripple connect behind walled gardens is what allows for Privacy within the ripple solution.

So by trying to add types privacy to the XRPL it almost goes against it's purpose, which is to be the Public branch of the Ripple solution.

Is there any value to making some transactions on the XRPL anonymous? 

I think I agree with you hodor that, it might be more dangerous than it is worth, because one of our biggest advantages is regulatory compliance with XRP. Why should we give that up when there is already a way to transmit privately on the Ripple solution throughout the ILP and walled gardens?

It is a tricky choice.

In the ILP section of the forum I made a post about this subject, because I wondered if the fact that the XRPL is public might deter banks from using it for certain transactions on the ILP. The answer I wanted there you made here so thank you.

The banks can still use XRPL for public transactions because the details about the clients account are hidden when it goes through the XRPL. So someone watching can still see that a transaction of XRP was made, but not WHO inside the Banks walled garden it was made FOR. Wiser zerps can correct me if I am wrong here?

This is one of the trickier points in all of the Ripple solution for me to "get"

Edited by Cryptowhatcher

8 hours ago, Cryptowhatcher said:

I think I agree with you hodor that, it might be more dangerous than it is worth, because one of our biggest advantages is regulatory compliance with XRP. Why should we give that up when there is already a way to transmit privately on the Ripple solution throughout the ILP and walled gardens?

It is a tricky choice.

This was my struggle as I prepared for the debate. 

Yes, the idea of total anonymity is one of those things that fascinates!  But unfortunately, the "adult" side of me knows better; to comply with governmental interests and the interests of a civilized society at large, I think it's best for Ripple to steer clear of a true "anonymity" tool.  I think it would be a huge step backwards for them if they somehow used this tool or even advocated its usage.

11 hours ago, IAMGROOT said:

not something that would be healthy for Ripple to pursue IMO.

Agreed.  They need to keep on course, and away from any "anonymity" type of functionality. 

While I truly respect the creativity of the experiment of Pathshuffle, and the true genius behind the programming and mixing algorithms, my gut feeling is that governments will eventually turn their regulatory attention towards the "anonymity" coins like Dash, Monero, and Zcash. 

8 hours ago, Hodor said:

Agreed.  They need to keep on course, and away from any "anonymity" type of functionality. 

While I truly respect the creativity of the experiment of Pathshuffle, and the true genius behind the programming and mixing algorithms, my gut feeling is that governments will eventually turn their regulatory attention towards the "anonymity" coins like Dash, Monero, and Zcash. 

Clearly the authorities in most countries will dislike coins that allow anonymous transactions from the AML/CFT point of view. Bitcoin itself had difficult years earlier because of its prevalent use in underground world. XRP can maintain its advantage of the currency supported by FIs by being free from potentially criminal usages while satisfying FIs' needs of making transactions not public.