We are running a new Ripple validator. There sure isn't much documentation on it. One. Does anyone see the advantage or even incentive to running a validator? Two: Is anyone else running a validator and what features and configs do you have?

Thanks

1) If you need to run your own node (e.g. because you want to interact with the RCL and have more than a few USD worth of assets and thus can't just rely on sometimes overloaded public servers), it is nearly no effort at all to switch on validation too.

2) Yes, I am not sure what you mean by "features" and config wise I also try to get and keep full history (something that is not necessary to validate) and thus I wouldn't recommend copying my setup. I turned on validation just for fun and because it doesn't really have much of an impact anyways.

On 6/18/2017 at 7:57 PM, Sukrim said:

I turned on validation just for fun and because it doesn't really have much of an impact anyways.

Did you see more resource usage (memory, bandwidth, cpu,..)?

Do you think resource usage will grow when your validator will be considered in the consensus process?

No, in both cases. Why should it? It already has to do most of the work anyways, signing and sending a few proposals is negligible.

Currently it runs too unstable though to be realistically considered by anyone, I will probably have to run a dedicated machine/VM to get proper performance while catching up on the last missing bits of history or while running disk-heavy stuff.