Mercury

Debate?

On 6/28/2017 at 0:54 PM, Mercury said:

Volunteers? Topics of interest?

One topic I'd like to suggest is that "Ripple is centralized". A really good topic and a nice debate might also put some of the FUD to rest. Plus if there still is FUD we can finally explain it since it's been getting prettt confusing.

Sorry everyone, this month is shaping up to be one crazy shnizzle storm.

So far there have been requests for reasons behind money pouring into crypto. I am going to tentatively phrase it as 'Crypto Investing: Smart or Dumb Money (hype vs. real upside potential)'. And for Ripple centralization, going to say 'Ripple Centralization: Fact or Fiction'. Not sure how much mileage there is to the second one since Ripple has since released a path and timeline to de-centralazation.

Part of a challenge of a debate is to pick a relevant topic that has not already been covered and still relevant. To that end I am proposing besides the previously mentioned the following topics: 

• Bootstrapping liquidity, can ripple go at it alone (despite the XRP war chest we are seeing little impact as end users)
  • Should Ripple give up on small investors all together
  • Should ICOs be encouraged to try out ripple?
  • Would being a neutral and country agnostic reserve currency make XRP the first true global currency
  • Is Ripple's focus on ILP and other bank grade software distracting it from RCL
  • etc

Thinking either July 28-30 or Aug 4-6 as a potential date

I am really sorry everyone, I dropped the ball on this one and that is on me. Things got busy, closing other side projects and the 2theMoon project took up my attention.

I am once again willing to host or participate a debate. Another idea is some form of round table discussion, perhaps on Ripple's recent rebranding. 

Thanks for your work so far. Love what you have done with this place and the effort you put in (although sometimes a little too much effort :P).

Discord wouldn't be my favorite pick to be honest. I would use an online tool like Google Hangouts (nice and clean, unlimited participants) or something like Blizz.com (max. 5 participants), and make a screen recording for posting afterwards, all can be done without video or voice. If you like, I can investigate other online tools suited for this purpose. 

1 hour ago, Ripplezzzz said:

Thanks for your work so far. Love what you have done with this place and the effort you put in (although sometimes a little too much effort :P).

Discord wouldn't be my favorite pick to be honest. I would use an online tool like Google Hangouts (nice and clean, unlimited participants) or something like Blizz.com (max. 5 participants), and make a screen recording for posting afterwards, all can be done without video or voice. If you like, I can investigate other online tools suited for this purpose. 

Too much effort? Is that even possible? :P

I am always open to new suggestions! Discord was picked as it was the second hangout for XRPChat members (most here are on there), and had a low learning curve and easy to mod options. For a round table option or open discussion between a limited number of participants I would be willing to consider other options. The one thing we learned from the last debate was that typing, and waiting on others to type out coherent and complete thoughts was time consuming (although it made re-posting easier). I assume with more people involved the slower the whole process would become- a vocal or even a video debate might be better although I understand how it might make some uncomfortable to participate.

10 minutes ago, Mercury said:

Yes you can hahaha. That's for another moment. Tell you at the XRP meeting when all is done :P

12 minutes ago, Mercury said:

I am always open to new suggestions! Discord was picked as it was the second hangout for XRPChat members (most here are on there), and had a low learning curve and easy to mod options.

My vision of your plan (lol) was a debate, couple of well informed XRPchat members and a host (asking the questions and as chair for that debate).
They would receive a list of questions (chair collects them in the chat and Discord) and send it in before the meeting so the chair is prepared, picks the best answers and let that person explain by voice/txt/video (at their own choice).

Did I understand that correctly or am I mixing the round table meeting with the (open) debate?

1 minute ago, Ripplezzzz said:

My vision of your plan (lol) was a debate, couple of well informed XRPchat members and a host (asking the questions and as chair for that debate).
They would receive a list of questions (chair collects them in the chat and Discord) and send it in before the meeting so the chair is prepared, picks the best answers and let that person explain by voice/txt/video (at their own choice).

Did I understand that correctly or am I mixing the round table meeting with the (open) debate?

I was thinking open debate, but your option might work better. Would this be a basic Q&A from various viewpoints then with the other participants unable comment/ argue? I would prefer a little interaction amongst 'guest' even if it is structured.

Posted (edited)

I was thinking about an semi-open debate with a Q/A as guidance. Questions by the other debaters can be asked after the picked answer is provided and substantiated, during the debate, by the participant who filed that answer in the first place. After that, the discussion continues amongst the debaters in a good cop bad cop kinda way I suppose (and hope).

As for guest questions, these are pre-filled in my example and the players named in the recording. Afterwards, the recording of this debate is posted on the forum (and Youtube etc.) the community and even outsiders debate (youtube) can begin.

My advice would be; keep it simple,to the point and controllable. Seen a lot of video's recently in this crypto space... way too long too technical and so on. For a first debate it must be in layman's terms with an excellent chair guiding this process and of course well prepared if it have to carry the support of the community.

I am busy with some video editing for my business so would love to create something XRP worthy :mail1:

Edited by Ripplezzzz