Mercury

Debate?

4 minutes ago, Mercury said:

I was wondering if anyone would want to do a debate, or even listen/ read a debate on some XRP topics?

This is an awesome idea, and can further differentiate our forum from others. 

11 minutes ago, Mercury said:

I was thinking you would be a good debater and one of my first choices

Yes I hereby volunteer if it's a written debate.  Are you going to make me take the "con" side just to mess with me, like debate coaches do in high school?

Just now, Hodor said:

Yes I hereby volunteer if it's a written debate.  Are you going to make me take the "con" side just to mess with me, like debate coaches do in high school?

LOL, I wasn't until now... We will see if there is any other interested parties and what topics people might be interested in. I would ok with moderating and perhaps a few debates now then time permitting

I guess I should think up some topics to see if anyone is interested debating them. Feel free to add ideas- I will update the list below. Thinking it should be something not discussed much OR endlessly discussed.

Some ideas (note some *could* be answered with a simple answer, but for the sake of a debate touch on the stuff that a lot of people keep bringing up):

• Path shuffle (good/ bad)
  • Lack of consumer support from Ripple
  • Comparing XRP to BTC
  • Jed (all history/ albatross)
  • XRP = Ripple shares
  • ILP a RCL killer
  • Does market cap matter
  • XRP price a barrier to adoption (low or high)
  •  

36 minutes ago, Hodor said:

Yes I hereby volunteer if it's a written debate.

Any suggestions the best way to set up a written debate? I am thinking chain emails leave too much time in between to look stuff up... unless that's a pro to some?

13 minutes ago, Mercury said:

Any suggestions the best way to set up a written debate? I am thinking chain emails leave too much time in between to look stuff up... unless that's a pro to some?

It depends on the format you want. Some written formats are designed to let the participants do research before they answer. If you wanted a live written debate you could maybe use the Discord group. Discord can also do voice (and maybe video). I wonder if there's technology out there specifically for hosting debates?

7 minutes ago, brianwalden said:

It depends on the format you want. Some written formats are designed to let the participants do research before they answer. If you wanted a live written debate you could maybe use the Discord group. Discord can also do voice (and maybe video). I wonder if there's technology out there specifically for hosting debates?

Ah, yes. Discord could work.

I don't doubt there is debate tech out there, just don't need yet another rabbit hole to fall down into :D

I am thinking a per-agreed topic can be selected with a set time before debates to allow some thought out arguments/ research (perhaps with a limitation on charts/ data numbers to avoid a technical bog down). Then the debate will be 'live' , say via voice or text on Discord with the moderator keeping the debate on topic (off tangents) and perhaps asking some questions. Opening statements can be given, some back and forth and closing arguments. Est time 5-15 min (depending on pre-agreed time, topic depth or if its just a really good debate...).

I think we will skip 'audience' questions. If posted here I have no doubt both positions would be re-debated.

Sorry for the delay everyone.

Trying to figure a way to pull Discord chats to repost on the forum, it's a work in progress for now.

If there is interested parties I am up to moderating a debate next Sunday, the 18th at 16:00 EDT/ 13:00 PDT/ 21:00 CET (the best time to cover the most time zones). I have decided on an arbitrary decision for a topic.

Pathsuffle: Step Forward or Back for Ripple?

Direct information can be found here:

https://www.cs.purdue.edu/results.html?q=pathshuffle

https://www.cs.purdue.edu/homes/pmorenos/public/pathshuffle.pdf

https://www.deepdotweb.com/2017/03/02/pathshuffle-turning-ripple-fully-anonymous-cryptocurrency/

@Hodor interested in the pro side? I believe you have stated your position in some of the previous threads on the topic

@pedrorechez Not sure if you want to take part for either side?

This sounds interesting.  I dont mind being on either side to be honest.  I was however thinking that you as the moderator shouId assign us to either the pro or con side.  I think it would make it more interesting and kick out indecisiveness. Am pretty sure that we wiII aII give our best irrespective of what side we end up on. And if I may ask... When is this debate IikeIy to take pIace? Do you have a date in mind aIready? Oh ya... and at what time?