TheUglyDog

Stellar Lumens v. Ripple

Can someone please explain the difference between Stellar and Ripple? I am at work, and don't want to fall down the rabbit hole of research and reading lol.

I have a great background with Ripple, but dont know too much about Stellar.

Thanks in advance

21 minutes ago, TheUglyDog said:

Can someone please explain the difference between Stellar and Ripple? I am at work, and don't want to fall down the rabbit hole of research and reading lol.

I have a great background with Ripple, but dont know too much about Stellar.

Thanks in advance

well stellar - run by a smart guy who is very crooked. no one trusts him and his name is enough to put off any discussions, lest any deal... so that's all i had to know and never wanted to know more... :-)

not discouraging you, just one piece of information. good luck on your research.

28 minutes ago, dzham said:

Just what I was saying, can't stop the hate....

Honestly, if you ever think the hate will stop around here, you're fighting a losing battle.  Those roots run deep in this community.  Why do you care if we hate the sociopath?  

Edited by Phintech

1 hour ago, dzham said:

Just what I was saying, can't stop the hate....

Sadly, sometimes extremely negative reviews are not just justified but ethically demanded. Jed intentionally acted to harm the investment of people who relied on him. He has lied so many times I don't even know where to start, violated clear contractual obligations, and has been incompetent in his technical and business management. I and many others poke fun at all this because it is so bad there is nothing else to do. 

I will stop pointing out how badly Jed behaves if he ever makes any valid attempt to make up for what he has done in the past (and I don't mean token giveaways meant to incentivize people to join his new project). Until then I will keep warning people that what happened to me, and many others who invested in his company could happen to you. He is not ethical, so invest at your own risk. 

1 hour ago, Phintech said:

Honestly, if you ever think the hate will stop around here, you're fighting a losing battle.  Those roots run deep in this community.  Why do you care if we hate the sociopath?  

I was hoping we could get back to talking about *ideas* instead of *people*..

Someone said Jed had a personal vendetta. I said it looks like the vendetta goes both ways. Is that an unfair statement?

Edited by dzham

3 minutes ago, dzham said:

Someone said Jed had a personal vendetta. I said it looks like the vendetta goes both ways. Is that an unfair statement?

We talk about plenty about other things here.  

l've actually moved on for the most part, but I will not allow anyone to attempt to soften his past actions without some sort of response.  

I think he'll drown himself in his own vindictive obession and that's comforting enough for me.

3 hours ago, dzham said:

If you know of a LONG list of past actions which strongly indicates someone is the type of person who will run off with other peoples' money without a second thought... is it ethical not to talk about the person when people are talking about investing money with him? 

No, I don't like Jed. But that is not why I talk about it. I would much rather just forget about the whole fiasco. But, people who have no knowledge of his past actings deserve to see a strong enough reaction that they at least consider doing some research before investing.

Guest dfault123
5 hours ago, dzham said:

Are you kidding? Jed always had a visible vendetta against Ripple since the days of Armajeddon. Ripple never took the bait, instead they were very professional about it ALL THE TIME.

Jed was trying to do the good guy act with the forum members while bashing Ripple for all kinds of stuff. Many fell for it, many didn't. I personally never did. Jed can be a very dishonest, unprofessional and malicious person.

He never genuinely took responsibility for his behavior in regards to promoting ripple and XRP just one year prior to announcing to dump his XRPs. It's always along the lines of "sorry guys for all that, but ripple started it!"

I will never support projects he is currently working on again.

Edited by dfault123

6 hours ago, dzham said:

Taking about ideas....

You find, on the internet (where else?), an idea that 's called ripple (the original) written by Ryan Fugger and than you seek for some first class programmers like David and first class business builders in finance like Larsen to work out "your idea". .... Along the road take about 10% of all assets from the yet to start young company. Some argues and a wild girl with CEO ambitions later, you left "your idea" and you smash your former company assets in the market to kill "your original idea" and to take "your new idea" into another not for profit company to discover some times later that "your old idea" still is alive and kicking around AND makes profit what makes you take back "your old idea" to copy it into "your new idea nr2" as a now for profit company ....

Some ideas ..... 

It went something like this:

The founder of Stellar, long before he did that, founded Ripple with a couple of other people.  It was him who brought Chris Larsen and David Schwartz to the table.  I think we can all agree that this - at least - was a "good thing".

Then he didn't like what the others were doing.

So he quit and announced on the official forum that he was going to dump all X billion of his coins on the open market.

This immediately crashed the price of XRP when it was just beginning the process of gaining in leaps and bounds.  It stayed stagnant for years afterward.

Pretty much everyone hated him.

Ripple took him to court, and prevented him from doing anything like this again.  He is now legally bound to sell only at a rate the market can very comfortably accomodate.

Around this time, he took the open source code for Ripple, and literally search and replaced everything "Ripple" which "Stellar", and everything "XRP", with "STR".  He relaunched this as "Stellar".

Pretty much everyone thought this was laughable, and ignored it.

I don't know what happened next exactly, because I ignored it.

However, it would *appear* that something like the following has happened:

He actually then did undertake to rewrite the code and make his own product (regardless his other foibles, he is a smart guy, can come up with good ideas, and does execute them).  He renamed the currency to Lumens, and the code for this is now XLM.  Apparently something is happening with it, to do with helping the underbanked  or something, and it may have some genuine momentum of its own.  The price of XLM has rocketed lately, but so has every crypto - and it may be some of XLM's rise is because of XRP's rise and the connection/association between the two.

The people he burned with the forum announcement still don't like him.

The mans name is Jed McCaleb.

He also created MtGox.  The first bitcoin exchange, and the biggest ever bitcoin disaster - though - not under his watch.  He *did* however sell it to the person who watched over it at that time, and that person is to the bitcoin community an even more extreme example of what Jed is to the Ripple community.  Is this a coincidence?  Who knows?

It's unfortunate that due to the legal situation, we probably have to live in an information vacuum about this.  I'm sure Ripple employees, were they able to talk freely in public about this without fear of repercussion, could clear up misconceptions and add insights to the whole situation, who or what Jed really is, and what he did.

IMO, which is based on nothing other than my own experience of reading, watching and having been affected by what he's done, is the following:

Jed means well, but is one of those people who ends up hurting others because he tries to be "too nice".  An example is the idea of token giveaways.  He has a goal to help people and give to them freely.  He wants to live in, and help create a world where this is possible.  But what always happens is malicious people abuse/hack/spam the giveaway system, end up with the lions share of the token, and then proceed to dump that token on the market, driving the price down for the others who already have comparatively little of it anyway.  The bad guys win and the people he's trying to help lose.  He comes across to me as almost wilfully naive about the negative characteristics of humans and how his choices may enable and empower them despite his intentions, and I believe this process is also what happens inside of him in relation to himself.  Because he is largely largely unable to perceive, anticipate and mitigate other peoples negative characteristics, he has the same relationship with his own.  You can see this in the "armajeddon" situation.  He himself ended up with the lions share of the token, and tried to dump them on the market, driving the price down for others who have comparatively little of it.  It's exactly the same as the giveaway idea.  As the saying goes: "those who fail to learn from history's mistakes are doomed to repeat them".  I don't actually see him as an evil person, but I do see him as a powerful one, and as this power is largely unchecked, it has done and probably will continue to do both good and bad in the world.

Theory: Stellar.org non-profit "give away free money" was a total failure, after all those years 95% of coins are still not distributed, going forward with the planned distribution will obviously make the price tank, so he wants to get out. His new lightyear company is his exit plan. If that company becomes successful (it won't), and having sold his lumens for a good price to stupid investors (that part seems to work), he can cut it's unprofitable ties with stellar.org and create yet another coin within lightyear, by just forking the stellar code one more time into a for-profit version.

Edited by lucky