• Advertisement
Guest EffinXRP

Creating a Cold Wallet Computer (under construction)

29 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, hexen said:

Man I literally bought Raspberry Pi couple of days ago and couldn't install Armory on it. Please finish your guide, it's brilliant! There are people who need it!!!!:)

ARmory does work on the Pi but there is a dependancy problem first.

try in terminal

sudo dpkg -i /pathToArmory

the dependancy error will be revealed there. I will get to it though and add a step by step for ya.

Edited by EffinXRP

Hey EffinXRP! What do you mean by sudo dpkg -i /pathToArmory  ?
Should it be the path to the latest version on 0.96 from github ? there is no 0.96 .deb package for Raspberry Pi yet as far as I know.

I also was following your tutorial here and I'm stuck on the step when you resize partition with Gparted. I simply can't unmount it because it's already in use. By system itself.
I did image burn to SD card using Etcher for mac, though. Is it wrong? Shouldn't be so...

Thanks!

Cheers!

10 hours ago, hexen said:

Man I literally bought Raspberry Pi couple of days ago and couldn't install Armory on it. Please finish your guide, it's brilliant! There are people who need it!!!!:)

Be sure to create your extra partition from above in section III. There is where you should store your wallets. The computer that created your RPi SDCard should likely be able to fix the partition.  Did you choose Raspbian or Mate?

Posted (edited)

10 minutes ago, hexen said:

Hey EffinXRP! What do you mean by sudo dpkg -i /pathToArmory  ?
Should it be the path to the latest version on 0.96 from github ? there is no 0.96 .deb package for Raspberry Pi yet as far as I know.

I also was following your tutorial here and I'm stuck on the step when you resize partition with Gparted. I simply can't unmount it because it's already in use. By system itself.
I did image burn to SD card using Etcher for mac, though. Is it wrong? Shouldn't be so...

Thanks!

Cheers!

NOOOO not Git Hub.  Down load Armory directly from their website at: https://www.bitcoinarmory.com/downloads/bitcoinarmory-releases/armory_0.93.3_raspbian-armhf.tar.gz

As far as resizing the partition, you are correct, you can not do it using the PI itself as it is in use.  You must use another system.  Please tell me what tape of main computer you have.

Sorry I forgot the rest of the question.  Normally on when you download a file it goes direct to your Downloads. If not then tell itt o go there when you do download it.  Then the path will be  sudo dpkg -i /home/USERNAME/Downloads/fullArmoryFileName.deb

As far as Etcher goes, I have never heard of it. I personally use the terminal. If the RPi booted up from the SDCard then Etcher worked, if not then we will need to burn the ISO using dd in the terminal for mac.

Edited by EffinXRP

Posted (edited)

@EffinXRP Thank you so much for your excellent guide :D

I got through to creating the encrypted partition without too much trouble. A few notes:

The easiest way to write the Linux image to the SD card is probably using Etcher (for Windows, Linux or Mac).

In Terminal, if in doubt use sudo before most commands or they may fail.

I updated everything just for good measure: https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/how-do-you-update-ubuntu-mate-on-the-terminal-pi/5049

Cryptsetup first refused to encrypt the partition saying it was in use - I had forgotten to unmount it.

On the Mate desktop, networking can be disabled by clicking on the pie shape at top right and deselecting "Enable networking"

Wifi can be turned off in Terminal with sudo nmcli radio wifi off

... and turned back on with sudo nmcli radio wifi on

All in all, not too painful. :)

EDIT: I ran the Ripplerm wallet just by copying the files to the encrytpted partition and opening index.html in Firefox, no need for a webserver.

It was difficult to copy files from a USB drive onto the partition, though. I couldn't do it through the GUI (no permission) and the cp command was hugely frustrating partly due to my shaky understanding of how to use it and partly because of the very long names for the volumes. Is there a way to drag and drop with root permissions in the GUI? I tried gksu nautilus  in Terminal but it made no difference - still no permission.

Edited by PunishmentOfLuxury

Kakoyla likes this

Posted (edited)

6 hours ago, PunishmentOfLuxury said:

@EffinXRP Thank you so much for your excellent guide :D

I got through to creating the encrypted partition without too much trouble. A few notes:

The easiest way to write the Linux image to the SD card is probably using Etcher (for Windows, Linux or Mac).

In Terminal, if in doubt use sudo before most commands or they may fail.

I updated everything just for good measure: https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/how-do-you-update-ubuntu-mate-on-the-terminal-pi/5049

Cryptsetup first refused to encrypt the partition saying it was in use - I had forgotten to unmount it.

On the Mate desktop, networking can be disabled by clicking on the pie shape at top right and deselecting "Enable networking"

Wifi can be turned off in Terminal with sudo nmcli radio wifi off

... and turned back on with sudo nmcli radio wifi on

All in all, not too painful. :)

EDIT: I ran the Ripplerm wallet just by copying the files to the encrytpted partition and opening index.html in Firefox, no need for a webserver.

It was difficult to copy files from a USB drive onto the partition, though. I couldn't do it through the GUI (no permission) and the cp command was hugely frustrating partly due to my shaky understanding of how to use it and partly because of the very long names for the volumes. Is there a way to drag and drop with root permissions in the GUI? I tried gksu nautilus  in Terminal but it made no difference - still no permission.

@PunishmentOfLuxury  Thank you very much for verifying Etcher to be easier. I have not been able to investigate that one yet. I do everything by Terminal :( True on the sudo command but I tried to put sudo where it was warrranted. The main problem is if you use sudo to create the partition then you may end up with the partition in the Root group and now you can not read or write to it as you are not the owner.  THat you mean one extra termain command to change the owner and the group of the folder. 

Good work on recommending the network commands and icons to turn it off. Really if we are creating a cold wallet and it is properly, physically secured, it should not be much of a problem.

THat is super great news on the Ripplerm Wallet though. I had not got to the different wallets yet nor how to run them. I really wanted to focus on creating a secure computer and environment as the wallets would be unsecured without it. Now running a wallet for me when I was new, was a nightmare. I had no idea what I was doing. So maybe that is another tut for another day :)

As for your drag and drop files, remember your "sudo" command . :) . try that one.  Also when using cp in the terminal use sudo cp -r /files that will copy directories and all files included. If you run into permission issues, then that is also easy to fix. The sudo command can put them as owned by Root and in the Root group so you just have to change it.  Now in the terminal I want you to do this:

cd /path to directory where files are located.

for example if they are in your USB, then likely the path to those files will be /media/USERNAME/files.  Sometime it is esier to drag the file to the terminal and it will add the absolute path in the terminal.  So draggin it you might see this:

/media/USERNAME/myFile.txt

In the above example, the USERNAME is the name of the folder so just erase the filename and you will have the part that you need. So now in termainl enter this:

sudo chown -R USERNAME:USERNAME /media/USERNAME

and that will change the owner and group for everything in that folder.

Now you will have access.

Edited by EffinXRP

@EffinXRP Thanks for the tips. Yes, I got into trouble by creating the encrypted partition with sudo so it's owned by root and I can't easily write to it.

In your above example: sudo chown -R USERNAME:USERNAME /media/USERNAME, I have something slightly different. The encrypted partition is named as a jumble of letters and numbers, something like 3Bd56tYd4F. So I have /media/PUNISH/3Bd56tYd4F/ as the path to the partition, where PUNISH is my Ubuntu username*.

How should the sudo chown .... command look in my case? Like this?:

sudo chown -R PUNISH:PUNISH /media/PUNISH/3Bd56tYd4F

*I haven't given my real username for obvious reasons.

2 hours ago, PunishmentOfLuxury said:

@EffinXRP Thanks for the tips. Yes, I got into trouble by creating the encrypted partition with sudo so it's owned by root and I can't easily write to it.

In your above example: sudo chown -R USERNAME:USERNAME /media/USERNAME, I have something slightly different. The encrypted partition is named as a jumble of letters and numbers, something like 3Bd56tYd4F. So I have /media/PUNISH/3Bd56tYd4F/ as the path to the partition, where PUNISH is my Ubuntu username*.

How should the sudo chown .... command look in my case? Like this?:

sudo chown -R PUNISH:PUNISH /media/PUNISH/3Bd56tYd4F

*I haven't given my real username for obvious reasons.

Morning, sorry for the late response. I think you are in the US while I am in Germany. SO I am ahead of you 6-8 hours.  Ok so the partition I do not think has a permission issue because users can own a directory. I could be wrong but pretty sure. Your path above looks fine so go ahead and execute that command. The "-R" means do the command recursively.  If it is correct then you will be able to create a new folder in that partition. It looks like you are using a standard Desktop Ubuntu instead of a RPi.

You can rename that garbeled unuseful name if you like. Either in Gparted or I think you can actually right click on it. Oh and real username is no problem unless it is your personal name. THe username can easily be found be anyone with any type or level of access, so not a security point.

If none of that works for you then privately send me a message with a screen shot of the Terminal output from 

sudo fdisk -l

which will get a list of all of the partitions on the system.

3 hours ago, EffinXRP said:

Morning, sorry for the late response. I think you are in the US while I am in Germany. SO I am ahead of you 6-8 hours.  Ok so the partition I do not think has a permission issue because users can own a directory. I could be wrong but pretty sure. Your path above looks fine so go ahead and execute that command. The "-R" means do the command recursively.  If it is correct then you will be able to create a new folder in that partition. It looks like you are using a standard Desktop Ubuntu instead of a RPi.

You can rename that garbeled unuseful name if you like. Either in Gparted or I think you can actually right click on it. Oh and real username is no problem unless it is your personal name. THe username can easily be found be anyone with any type or level of access, so not a security point.

If none of that works for you then privately send me a message with a screen shot of the Terminal output from 

sudo fdisk -l

which will get a list of all of the partitions on the system.

Thanks again :)  (Actually I'm in Asia, a few hours ahead.)

The chown syntax I gave works! I now have r/w permission, which is all I need really.

I am using the RPi specific Ubuntu Mate, by the way.

I tried changing the garbled partition name with mv but Terminal said "device or resource busy", and when I unmounted it then it couldn't be found, of course. Rename command gave an unintelligible response perhaps caused by the hyphens in the name. Right clicking to get Properties doesn't work either. I don't want to put the Pi back online ever, so I won't bother with downloading Gparted - the name can stay as it is.

1 minute ago, PunishmentOfLuxury said:

Thanks again :)  (Actually I'm in Asia, a few hours ahead.)

The chown syntax I gave works! I now have r/w permission, which is all I need really.

I am using the RPi specific Ubuntu Mate, by the way.

I tried changing the garbled partition name with mv but Terminal said "device or resource busy", and when I unmounted it then it couldn't be found, of course. Rename command gave an unintelligible response perhaps caused by the hyphens in the name. Right clicking to get Properties doesn't work either. I don't want to put the Pi back online ever, so I won't bother with downloading Gparted - the name can stay as it is.

@PunishmentOfLuxury  True dat. No matter the name as long as it functions as it is suposed to. Basically you will only power this thing up to make withdrawal transactions. I have mine but have only used it for testing.

On 5/14/2017 at 11:45 AM, Guest EffinXRP said:

So in your terminal I want you to enter this:

cryptsetup -y -v luksFormat /dev/mmcblk0p3

or what ever the name of your device is.

My device has the same name, but when I enter this command, it says "Device /dev/mmcblk0p3 doesn't exist or access denied. Command failed with code 15: Device /dev/mmcblk0p3 doesn't exist or access denied."

What am I doing wrong here?

2 hours ago, jkmant18 said:

My device has the same name, but when I enter this command, it says "Device /dev/mmcblk0p3 doesn't exist or access denied. Command failed with code 15: Device /dev/mmcblk0p3 doesn't exist or access denied."

What am I doing wrong here?

Try putting sudo in front of the command.