Hodor

Those Pesky Rumors!

Rumor Mill on Lockup Continues...

http://www.livebitcoinnews.com/joel-katz-highlights-details-regarding-xrp-supply-lockup/

Locking up a sizeable amount address availability questions, and will put some investors’ minds at ease as well.

It is unclear if any additional XRP may be locked up, though. Joel Katz hinted at how “looking up as much as we think we can for as long as we think we can” is the long-term goal. One has to keep in mind the Ripple founders may find themselves in a position where selling a small amount of the supply is required. However, there may also be a time when the founders may want to buy additional XRP to take it off the market.

So then Joel Katz posts a response on that same site:

JoelKatz • 4 hours ago

I am David Schwartz, known as "JoelKatz" on many forums, and I'm the person this article is referring to. I just wanted to clarify that I was only stating my own opinion on the advantages and disadvantages of an XRP lockup and how that opinion had changed over time. Whether Ripple locks up XRP, how much, and when is not my decision.

My original post can be found here:

I'm assuming from his official "washing of hands" statement from JoelKatz, that the board has to take a vote on this ultimately. 

39 minutes ago, Hodor said:

I'm assuming from his official "washing of hands" statement from JoelKatz, that the board has to take a vote on this ultimately.

It could be that the Board has already given the parameters for a lock-up to Ripple's executive team, with triggers in place that re-engage the Board should circumstances and/or strategies dictate. I'm guessing that theirs is a purposeful approach which can be quickly implemented according to their parameters but one that also requires escalation back to the Board if markets demand.

7 minutes ago, wiredless1 said:

I'm guessing that theirs is a purposeful approach which can be quickly implemented according to their parameters but one that also requires escalation back to the Board if markets demand.

This is such a win-win for them if they handle it right.  Announcing it during the conference is a stroke of genius, of course.  The timing makes me think they might use the escrow feature on RCL to lock it up.  And when it's locked in escrow, it's locked

In addition to free publicity for the escrow feature, the markets will react very positively to a predictable supply of XRP... this has the potential to be very game-changing!  :yes3:

Just now, Apollo said:

Ouch... I hope the board is not conservative when it comes to this one.

Agreed.  It's a pretty simple relationship: the more they lock up, the more favorably the market will respond.

the cryptocoin media really is a farce, poor JK

pretty much everything you read is... "i bought this, so buy it too" or "i didn't buy this, so don't buy it"

now people bought xrp on the pump... they finally want you to buy xrp too

coindesk is about the only one i trust since it was acquired by professionals, but even then, pinch of salt

ripple employees have to face facts that anything they let slip will be twisted/exaggerated/edited/hyped/criticised/etc by the cryptosphere

it's tulips-mania out there, and it's all about psychological manipulation of markets

stay calm, stay safe, enjoy the ride! :D

I haven't seen anything of any substance at all, anywhere, with regard to any lock-up of any portion of Ripple's XRP. 

7 hours ago, Morty said:

Lolz. Ripple want to announce it in a controlled manner and the media finally found that old post and are running with it. :D

I am troubled that the 'media' took a forum post and reported it, and that it gets reposted here as 'news'. A self confirming cycle doesn't make it legit