Jump to content
bowler99

Seriously lost trying to recover XRP from 2013

Recommended Posts

On 2017-5-5 at 0:17 PM, JoelKatz said:

I believe encrypted wallet files from the old desktop client look like long base64 strings. I think a minimal wallet is about 460 bytes, and it goes up if you have a lot of accounts you've assigned local names to. The long string might have been the encryption key for your wallet file (if you made it up) or it may be the wallet file contents itself.

The string that starts with an "s" sounds like your secret. If it's not being accepted, it might be because you've slightly misread it. This might help:

The digit 0 is not legal. Lower case o is legal. Upper case O is not legal.

The digit 1 is legal. Lower case i is legal. Upper case I is not legal.

Upper case L is legal. Lower case l is not legal.

Lower case s and upper case S are both legal.

Lower case k and upper case K are both legal.

These are the legal characters: 123456789aAbBcCdDeEfFgGhHijJkKLmMnNopPqQrRsStTuUvVwWxXyYzZ

It must start with an s. It is 29 characters long.

Does this apply the same for a recovery key to gatehub? because i have three "0" or "o" in my recovery key with 32 characters in total.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Required said:

Does this apply the same for a recovery key to gatehub? because i have three "0" or "o" in my recovery key with 32 characters in total.

Recovery key of Gatehub consists of hexadecimal characters (0123456789ABCDEF), so that is a zero.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for your input Eik....

So the letter "L" will be in uppercase or lower case? Or it could be both?

im wondering if Ripple had a recovery aswell as a secret key? 

 

Edited by Required

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still no luck despite many hours of trying, I am confident I have saved the correct information, as I have well over 10  backups, but no luck recovering it. I am guessing there may be an issue with my username, which contained a special character, which is no longer allowed ("[]") in usernames. Hopefully this will be fixed, I am getting a lot of PMs from people with the same issue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

still attempting to solve this issue daily without any luck, it seems theres no backwards support for "ripple-wallet.txt" backups, or if there is they are not working with my backups for whatever reason, and perhaps an issue with the old ripple servers usernames preventing me from recovering the funds I bought. I have such good backups that I find it hard to believe keepass incorrectly saved my information as it matches throughout all of the scores of copies of the backup. If theres any other routes of investigation I would like to see it, but it seems ripple forgot about the old users and only those who somehow had clear text secret keys are able to retrieve funds if they missed the migration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/5/2017 at 4:41 PM, bowler99 said:

using the mimalist wallet, I ws able to pull up a secret key for my address, at least the minimalist wallet showed it : my account, the balance, and the secret key. 

I am afraid it has somehow lost, I imported the secret key on the gatehub but no balance is showing, and its saying the username is not correct, seemed to have worked on the minimalist client though...

This is all what you need, your secret key! So do you have your secret key, right? (don't share it)

Edited by amulecregg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you want to check if the key is valid you could go to TheWorldExchange.net and then after its in your browser disconnect from the Internet and then login by typing in the secret key.  If the key is valid it will work..  If not it will tell you.

That will give you the wallet address.  If all that looks good you can close browser and clear caches and then look at bithomp explorer for that address and see what it says about the account.

If that shows funds you can do anything you like with those funds now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/25/2017 at 2:21 PM, amulecregg said:

This is all what you need, your secret key! So do you have your secret key, right? (don't share it)

no, at least not a plain text one. Its very possible I have an encrypted backup but there is no information I can find about what this might look like or how to decrypt it. I guess its likely the "ripple-wallet.txt" with massive strings of password-like characters may contain an encrypted secret key, but I have not had any luck opening this.

Edited by bowler99

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, bowler99 said:

no, at least not a plain text one. Its very possible I have an encrypted backup but there is no information I can find about what this might look like or how to decrypt it. I guess its likely the "ripple-wallet.txt" with massive strings of password-like characters may contain an encrypted secret key, but I have not had any luck opening this.

I feel a little bit confused right now, because you said this: "I ws able to pull up a secret key".

I mean, because If you have your secret key then you can get back your XRP very easily!

You also said "I imported the secret key on the gatehub but no balance is showing". So do you still have that secret key?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, amulecregg said:

I feel a little bit confused right now, because you said this: "I ws able to pull up a secret key".

I mean, because If you have your secret key then you can get back your XRP very easily!

You also said "I imported the secret key on the gatehub but no balance is showing". So do you still have that secret key?

I don't recall why that happened but I have not had the correct secret key available, it was a very confusing process to try to migrate since there was two migrations and I was missing the middle step, so at that pointI was probably mistaken. Now I think I likely have some encrypted secret keys in ripple-wallet.txt files that I am unable to open, but I have as well a username, password, my ripple address (Still has balance) and the URL (https://ripple.com/client/#/register). The username/password does not work on ether of the two migration pages, but I do not see how it would be possible for it to not be an accurate one as I have generated, used, and backed up passwords/usernames in this manner for years without any issues before this with keepass. My username had a special character, "[" and "]" which may have caused issues, is my only guess.

 

I have not offered a bounty yet but if it comes down to that I suppose there is no other choice, although a proper answer from support would be nice, I have had at least ten people message me with similar issues and no results yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/27/2017 at 2:08 PM, bowler99 said:

I don't recall why that happened but I have not had the correct secret key available, it was a very confusing process to try to migrate since there was two migrations and I was missing the middle step, so at that pointI was probably mistaken. Now I think I likely have some encrypted secret keys in ripple-wallet.txt files that I am unable to open, but I have as well a username, password, my ripple address (Still has balance) and the URL (https://ripple.com/client/#/register). The username/password does not work on ether of the two migration pages, but I do not see how it would be possible for it to not be an accurate one as I have generated, used, and backed up passwords/usernames in this manner for years without any issues before this with keepass. My username had a special character, "[" and "]" which may have caused issues, is my only guess.

 

I have not offered a bounty yet but if it comes down to that I suppose there is no other choice, although a proper answer from support would be nice, I have had at least ten people message me with similar issues and no results yet.

Try replacing "[" with "\[" and "]" with "\]", so if your username was [xrpguy] now it would be \[xrpguy\]

By the way, did you contact Gatehub support?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, amulecregg said:

Try replacing "[" with "\[" and "]" with "\]", so if your username was [xrpguy] now it would be \[xrpguy\]

By the way, did you contact Gatehub support?

that was a good idea, thanks, did not work unfortunately. I contacted gatehub but they couldnt help, I did not migrate to ripple trade which is what gatehub migrates from. I am starting to wonder if the exact combination of the details on the ripple migration form have to be exact to work, it asks for username (ripple has said my username has invalid characters --- guessing this is why my so-carefully-done backups do not work), password, email, and country. I have been travelling and use a lot of emails, so its possible that could greatly increase the combinations of trials it would require but it should be nice to know about this if it is the case..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ripple-wallet.txt

 

This is a file you can export from the Ripple client.

It is a backup of your secret key, protected by your username and password.

This is the key you use every time you use Ripple.

You created it when you chose your Wallet Name and Passphrase.

It protects your money, contacts, and history.

Never forget it, never share it.

Currently there is no way to import the Ripple-wallet.txt file into the client. It is a feature that will be implemented later on. Once it is implemented, old wallet files will need to be migrated. Migration is currently planned to be for two years.

 

 

I hope there is some way to decrypt this file, this is what I ahve been trying to open in the ripple desktop wallets not knowing better, but perhaps this is good news as I was just trying an impossible method for a good portion of the time i've spent trying to unlock. How can I open this, if its not implemented yet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, amulecregg said:

Try replacing "[" with "\[" and "]" with "\]", so if your username was [xrpguy] now it would be \[xrpguy\]

By the way, did you contact Gatehub support?

I read the decrypted .txt file is .json formatted. So now try replacing "[" with "%5B" and "]" with "%5D", so if your username was [xrpguy] now it would be %5Bxrpguy%5D

I really have a hope on this.

Edited by amulecregg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×