bowler99

Seriously lost trying to recover XRP from 2013

On 5/6/2017 at 7:10 AM, JoelKatz said:

If you have access to a machine with node and npm, you always use the quick+dirty method. This is not really a cold wallet unless you keep the machine offline. And I don't know who wrote this code or who checked it, but it appears to be obviously safe and correct, at least to me. (I'm not a JS guy, but it's really simple).

1) Create a file called "coldwallet.js" in its own directory with these contents:

2) Type "npm install ripple-keypairs". Errors about a missing package.json file are normal.

3) If you're paranoid, take the machine offline now.

4) You can create a cold wallet by typing "node coldwallet.js". Run it a few times and make sure you get a different output each time. Make sure you save the secret!

5) You can test a secret or get the corresponding Ripple address by typing "node coldwallet.js <secret>". You should test any secret you plan to use.

No warranty here, I don't even know who wrote this. But it seems to work when I tried it and the code seems obviously safe.

I am trying this on linux, when I type as above ; 

node coldwallet.js <secret> (string without the '<' characters) , I get an error, throew new error('invalid_input_size')

however the wallet seems to generate new keypairs just fine, when i hit node codewallet.js it throws a ripple address and secret at me, but its not allowing input. This seems like it should be a relatively easy fix but its beyond me and would appreciate a pointer, this is the best thing I have to try now

That sounds like your secret is not a valid ripple secret. You can keep trying variations on it to see if you can get it to be accepted. Maybe you have an extra character on the end? Maybe you confused a '1' with an 'i'? You can use the coldwallet.js script to rapidly try all kinds of variations on your secret to see if you can find the right one. (You can also use the minimal ripple client the same way, I think.)

I could not get the coldwallet.js script to generate anything it would not take any input, only throw out random ones if I ran it as is. 

Is there any way to recover the funds from the username/password pre-ripple trade? This was all that was needed back in the day, I don't see why it became obselete. 

https://id.ripple.com/auth/migrate
can someone verify this still works? I have in my wallets, backed up many, many times, the username and password for this site:

https://ripple.com/client/#/register

which leads to the above one. Is there a way to check I am entering in the correct account name? I have the same username and password saved in tons of places, but this site seems to reject it. IT seems to be my only chance of reclaiming the funds I purchased and backed up years ago.

still trying to recover, I am not hopeful this ripple-wallet.txt is useful, I have no way of checking it since nothing can open it. However my username and password also appear to be 'burned' or not working, or in need of assistance to activate, its unclear. I have run into many people online with similar issues, and no solution found if it was an older account. If someone knows a regex search for a ripple secret key that might be helpful and I am at the point where I will start providing a bounty for solutions, but that seems like it will require handing over most of my passwords, some which might still be relevant somehow, and also require trust

14 minutes ago, bowler99 said:

still trying to recover, I am not hopeful this ripple-wallet.txt is useful, I have no way of checking it since nothing can open it. However my username and password also appear to be 'burned' or not working, or in need of assistance to activate, its unclear. I have run into many people online with similar issues, and no solution found if it was an older account. If someone knows a regex search for a ripple secret key that might be helpful and I am at the point where I will start providing a bounty for solutions, but that seems like it will require handing over most of my passwords, some which might still be relevant somehow, and also require trust

I haven't read all the similar topics that popped up on this forum (at least 5), so I don't know the conclusions from those. I think the migrate option is only for ripple-trade accounts.

Did you check source codes for the wallet you/people used back in 2013? Did you contact Ripple for this?

I don't know by heart how to form regex expressions, but secret key is 's' + 29 base58 characters.

1 minute ago, Eik said:

I haven't read all the similar topics that popped up on this forum (at least 5), so I don't know the conclusions from those. I think the migrate option is only for ripple-trade accounts.

Did you check source codes for the wallet you/people used back in 2013? Did you contact Ripple for this?

I don't know by heart how to form regex expressions, but secret key is 's' + 29 base58 characters.

thank you, I do not believe I was on ripple trade, but the information is not very clear. I have this link saved with all my backups :

https://ripple.com/client/#/register , likely before ripple trade. I have contacted ripple, they have been about a week between responses, first response said I should use the migrate page (my email had explained my situation/that wasn't working), the second a week later has said I should import the secret key, which the first email explained I (probably) do not have. If I have a secret key, its likely some sort of encrypted one that was default at that point in time.

For the source codes, I do not know much about that sort of thing, but I believe I registered online and not in a desktop client. When I tried gatehub migration, at one point I saw an error saying my account doesnt exist (the one I have saved with all backups, the username), even knowing whether these are applicable to older accounts would have saved me many hours, the information out there is just not sufficient for narrowing what I have to try.

thanks for the help, any sort of responses at all I feel brings me closer, and its mostly a void.

Reading back the information you provided in this thread, I see you have a 128-bit hex code (here)

Did you already convert this into base58 and used this as secret key? This can be your master_seed_hex that is equal to master_seed (base58) but then in hex (see e.g. here)

1 hour ago, Eik said:

Reading back the information you provided in this thread, I see you have a 128-bit hex code (here)

Did you already convert this into base58 and used this as secret key? This can be your master_seed_hex that is equal to master_seed (base58) but then in hex (see e.g. here)

I am not sure how to convert it but I somehow forgot about that, it seems like one of my best shots at this point. I will try to figure the convresion, much appreciated!

On 5/8/2017 at 6:32 AM, namini said:

I'll be happy to answer but first why do you want to use Gatehub or Ripple desktop wallet? If you just want to have a long term storage, keep doing what you're doing, keep your secret key somewhere safe (offline device or printed on paper).

If you just want to recover your funds I assume it's because you want to trade or sell them? Otherwise I don't see the point, then it's doesn't really matter as you won't keep them for a long time anyway.

We should discuss this on a dedicated thread or you can pm if you have other questions.

First, I want to be able to access the funds I purchased. Right now I do not have access to them, so the longer time goes on the more likely they are to be lost. Apparently ripple forgot about the people who purchased pre-ripple-trade, so the more time goes on the more likely we are to lose our funds. I also want to sell some because its a lot of money to me, so securing the wallet and selling some are high priorities. It would be another matter if the wallet was working, but right now they have disabled my access entirely.

On 5/5/2017 at 1:09 PM, bowler99 said:

unfortunately I have tried everything I could possibly think of for more than three days without any luck, it seems maybe I have misclicked and ruined it all just now, possibly, if I have hit that rekey account and it really is that easy to destroy everything. I hope that is not the case, but nothing is working. I was trying to transfer on that site but nothing was making sense, variety of options like connecting disconnecting / etc maybe the big button on the right stood out and got pressed in frustration after all of these days of effort 

Did you have a significant amount?  If so anyone having trouble with Bitcoin, Etherium and maybe Ripple now, try contacting wallet recovery services dot com.  I dont know him, never used him just read article about the service. Best of luck!

20 hours ago, Diginewbie said:

Did you have a significant amount?  If so anyone having trouble with Bitcoin, Etherium and maybe Ripple now, try contacting wallet recovery services dot com.  I dont know him, never used him just read article about the service. Best of luck!

about 30,700 ripple , I will try that if there are no other options, but its ridiculous a major company can drop old customers who don't keep up with their changes on their face and leave them dry... I am still hoping from help from ripple

58 minutes ago, bowler99 said:

about 30,700 ripple , I will try that if there are no other options, but its ridiculous a major company can drop old customers who don't keep up with their changes on their face and leave them dry... I am still hoping from help from ripple

Did you try to import your 128bit hex key in ripplerm's wallet as in the other post? What came out of there?

I would try a service even if they charged 50%!  Half is 50% better than nothing.  I think he charges 33% or something like that.  He is supposedly a hardcore cryptographer but please do the research!