bowler99

Seriously lost trying to recover XRP from 2013

unfortunately I have tried everything I could possibly think of for more than three days without any luck, it seems maybe I have misclicked and ruined it all just now, possibly, if I have hit that rekey account and it really is that easy to destroy everything. I hope that is not the case, but nothing is working. I was trying to transfer on that site but nothing was making sense, variety of options like connecting disconnecting / etc maybe the big button on the right stood out and got pressed in frustration after all of these days of effort 

Edited by bowler99

2 minutes ago, Eik said:

The mentioned secret key is probably the secret key for a newly generated address (after pressing 'generate identity'). It is indeed empty upon generation.

This part of the page can be used to verify the correct secret key. If you manage to find it, or wondering if something is the correct secret key, fill it in, and press 'set identity'. If then the correct ripple address pops up, you found your secret key.

What do you mean with 'account details below showed my correct balance'? In Gatehub? Or the minimalist client HTML page you mentioned earlier?

in the minmlist client, nothing has worked on gatehub except importing an empty secret key string. As far as I can tell they have no option to import wallet and the sign in username/login migration did not show my username at all (minimalist client seemed to bring it up correctly however)

4 minutes ago, bowler99 said:

unfortunately I have tried everything I could possibly think of for more than three days without any luck, it seems maybe I have misclicked and ruined it all just now, possibly, if I have hit that rekey account and it really is that easy to destroy everything. I hope that is not the case, but nothing is working. I was trying to transfer on that site but nothing was making sense, variety of options like connecting disconnecting / etc maybe the big button on the right stood out and got pressed in frustration after all of these days of effort 

If you don't want to say, I understand, but how much may you lose?

if you had changed your secret key you would have a pop up telling you:

"This will submit a transaction to invalidate your current secret and replace it with the new secret below, which you should save before continuing. Are you sure you want to do this?"

Don't think you clicked yes?

I don't know if you have technical knoweldges but right now you look a little bit lost, so not sure what to suggest you as the most easy solution.. probably

Gatehub:

Wallet page -> "+" -> Import -> Secret Key

or Ripple desktop wallet

"Create a new account with a secret key"

Just don't hit rekey account anywhere or lose your secret key.

21 minutes ago, bowler99 said:

rD7SfizZYJrbNBFDtku972tnzwRThu7C35  yes it is still sitting in there. I am worried that I may have hit the rekey account... 

That account has not been re-keyed and still has its original secret.

The US government has prohibited me from helping you.

1 minute ago, JoelKatz said:

That account has not been re-keyed and still has its original secret.

thank you for that, hope lives xD  30,781 xrp in there.

I have tried import secret key -- but I dont have one ( I suppose?) for my actual account. At least there has not been any luck importing it, all of the 29 character sxxxx keys I have tried on gatehub have drawn 0 balances. I will try the github again after practicing around with some junk accounts first and see if that can use my username/login to get the secret again.

At this point I have for certain only the ripple-wallet.txt, my old username, login password. The login password is not working to decrypt the ripple-wallet.txt at least in the ripple desktop client (or the wallet is corrupt or something? It does not give a good error, just says 'perhaps one of those two is wrong'). I have some seemingly empty secret keys, and hundreds of passwords to try out for the ripple-wallet.txt desktop import, but if there is another way to try the username/account + username/account password login to retrieve, that is going to be the most likely to work I think. 

I really appreciate the help everyone, I will be thrilled if it works out in the end. Its a very significant amount of money to me and I am sure I would be lost without this input. 

Edited by bowler99

I looked up your address rD7SfizZYJrbNBFDtku972tnzwRThu7C35 using the RPC Tool. Good news!

Your XRP balance (30781.000003 XRP) is indeed there, and there are no signs that your account has been "re-keyed"; there's no regular key set and the flag to disable the master key is also not set. Fun fact: the last transaction to modify your account was from 2014.  So you haven't ruined everything with a mis-click. As long as you can figure out what your secret key is, you should be able to get full control of your XRP.

The typical format that secrets are written in looks like this:

snoPBrXtMeMyMHUVTgbuqAfg1SUTb

However, there are other formats the secret could be in, including as a passphrase. (Ripple condenses those down to the above format, basically; in fact, the above example is the secret key derived from "masterpassphrase".) It sounds like your secret key was probably just generated at random and then whatever client you were using at the time (the official one?) just stored it in a blob that was encrypted with a passphrase, so this is a super long shot unlikely to work but you could try it.

If you can run your own rippled server, even in offline mode, you can try generating wallet keys using wallet_propose and passing anything you think might be the passphrase as the "passphrase" parameter. (You can leave out the key_type since yours is definitely secp256k1 because it's from before we had ed25519 support.) If you got the right one, the response will show "rD7SfizZYJrbNBFDtku972tnzwRThu7C35" as the account_id field. Don't do this on someone else's rippled server since that could be giving away your secret. Since doing key generation like this doesn't actually require network connectivity, you can run rippled in stand-alone mode to save yourself some bandwidth and CPU.

Installing rippled is not exactly easy, depending on your OS, so this is a bit of an extreme step (but maybe worth it for 30k XRP!). If you're on Windows, you have to compile from source with Visual Studio 2015. It's a lot easier if you're on Red Hat Linux or Ubuntu. I don't know if the Mac installation instructions are even updated.

Anyway, if you get it installed, you start rippled in offline (stand-alone) mode like so:

rippled -a --start

Then you could use the commandline to try generating wallets from whatever might be your secret(s), but I prefer to use the Firefox Poster extension myself. I've attached a screenshot of what it would look like to try generating a wallet from a passphrase there.

2017-05-05_141641_463579152.png

3 minutes ago, soleri said:

Hi mDuo13!

Thanks for the prompt reply. Much appreciated. How did you find it? I did not give any wallet address? Just curious? That is not all, I had more than 1 mil xrp!!!

Can you please make your own topic with question. mDuo13 was not talking to you. This problem is already complicated as it is. It will get impossible if we treat 2 of these cases at the same time in a 'question/answer' kind of topic that moves posts around depending on whether it is upvoted or downvoted. So please make a topic of your own that we can respond to.

This is confusing.

1 hour ago, bowler99 said:
1 hour ago, namini said:

rekey change your secret key, I don't advise you to do that...

What you have to do on minimalist client is enter your secret key (if you think you have one) click on "Set identity", read your Ripple public address who appeared (start with a r...) and copy / paste it on https://charts.ripple.com/#/graph

do you see your balance?

rD7SfizZYJrbNBFDtku972tnzwRThu7C35  yes it is still sitting in there. I am worried that I may have hit the rekey account... 

@bowler99, can you please tell us if you managed to get this address rD7SfizZYJrbNBFDtku972tnzwRThu7C35 after you put the secret key in the top textfield in minimalist ripple client and pressed 'Set identity'?

jatchili_example.thumb.png.3cf795998758fb9fffaedb25155ff67a.png

NOTE: this is an example secret key (used by mDuo13). Do not post such a screenshot of your secret key.

Or did you not get this address from the fields below?

Edited by Eik

If you have access to a machine with node and npm, you always use the quick+dirty method. This is not really a cold wallet unless you keep the machine offline. And I don't know who wrote this code or who checked it, but it appears to be obviously safe and correct, at least to me. (I'm not a JS guy, but it's really simple).

1) Create a file called "coldwallet.js" in its own directory with these contents:

var keypairs = require ('ripple-keypairs');
var seed = (process.argv.length == 3) ? process.argv[2] : keypairs.generateSeed();
var keypair = keypairs.deriveKeypair (seed);
console.log ("Ripple-address: " + keypairs.deriveAddress (keypair.publicKey));
console.log ("Ripple-secret:  " + seed);

2) Type "npm install ripple-keypairs". Errors about a missing package.json file are normal.

3) If you're paranoid, take the machine offline now.

4) You can create a cold wallet by typing "node coldwallet.js". Run it a few times and make sure you get a different output each time. Make sure you save the secret!

5) You can test a secret or get the corresponding Ripple address by typing "node coldwallet.js <secret>". You should test any secret you plan to use.

No warranty here, I don't even know who wrote this. But it seems to work when I tried it and the code seems obviously safe.

9 hours ago, mDuo13 said:

It also occurred to me, if it's on the original Ripple client, it might have used the Blobvault. Hopefully your ripple-wallet.txt file isn't some sort of blob that needs a signature from the old Ripple Trade auth server to decrypt...

accidentally double posted because it was not showing up, seems to be working fine now 

Edited by bowler99