Solana orderbook DEX

https://messari.io/article/serum-return-of-the-order-book

Enter Serum, a Solana-based decentralized exchange seeking to reinvent the way assets are traded in the decentralized economy. Their “central limit order book”—a fully on-chain, highly scalable order-matching mechanism—could power the next generation of interchange, from in-game marketplaces to high-frequency trading. To better understand the promise and risks of this ambitious project, let’s take a look at the broader decentralized exchange landscape, how Serum fits into it, and what the protocol’s tokenomics (SRM) means for investors.

[..]

Serum, at its core, is a fully on-chain order book built on Solana. The protocol’s first-of-its-kind central limit order book (CLOB) is the technology that enables users to trade with each other in an efficient, trustless, and non-custodial way. The protocol is also asset-agnostic, which means any crypto-assets (spot, derivatives, synthetics, and so on) can be traded on the order book. In fact, an upcoming upgrade called Serum Core will make the order book capable of order-matching any financial asset, not just SPL tokens. This protocol improvement will make it even easier to build derivatives and complex products on Serum.

The decision to build on Solana is central to the protocol’s mechanism. Solana’s quick settlement speed allows for sub-second trading, which is necessary for a well-functioning order book, and the low network fees (on the order of $0.00001 per transaction) enable inexpensive on-chain interaction.

As I've been saying for years, the XRPL is fast running out of first-mover & technological advantages if it doesn't keep evolving. I am not saying Solana's DEX is going to be the winner etc, but in 1-2 years from now, everything XRPL can do will potentially be ported to other networks. Innovation is happening much faster on other chains. Ripple basically killed the DEX and any incentives for devs for years, now we are still paying the price. I hope that with Xumm, new amandements etc, XRPL can start to gain back ground again. 

I would tend to agree with your read. I know that there are more recent developments around side chains, hooks, and some other resources for XRPL that I don't have sufficient coding depth to appreciate. Hopefully, those are enough to keep XRPL competitive and Flare will likely bring some new energy. I think that Ripple has a vision for the business, but I don't see that they necessarily have (or want) to create a vision for the XRPL as a tool in its own right. 

• 2 weeks later...

Solana Network Suffers Yet Another Network Outage: DeFi Users Pay the Price

Ouch! 

I had a bunch of SOL, but dropped them at about $165 during their first outage last fall. Though the outage was a big factor, I didn't care for their system of measuring network performance. 

On the good side, this experience should only make their network stronger. On the other hand, they should have sorted this out long ago. 

10 hours ago, RobertHarpool said:

Solana Network Suffers Yet Another Network Outage: DeFi Users Pay the Price

Ouch! 

I had a bunch of SOL, but dropped them at about $165 during their first outage last fall. Though the outage was a big factor, I didn't care for their system of measuring network performance. 

On the good side, this experience should only make their network stronger. On the other hand, they should have sorted this out long ago. 

They are doing a lot of things no one has tried yet, and that means they are going to break a lot of things.

I still have some, though I diversified my gains into other projects that had more upside. Still glad to buy into Arweave which has proven resilience and provides their history archiving, and looking forward to what RNDR is going to do in the next year: