XUMM

wojake

49 minutes ago, wojake said:

https://support.xumm.app/hc/en-us/articles/4410772538642-XUMM-2-2-5-Release-notes

hey @Wietse, some of us are confused on XUMM's recent update, what good does this feature do?:

XRPForensics tracks known money laundering accounts and other accounts previously flagged for illegal activity. If I have to guess, if you're trying to activate a new XRPL account, Xumm is going to check if that new account was created by a known bad account and warn you because you might be getting scammed.

32 minutes ago, Ripley said:

XRPForensics tracks known money laundering accounts and other accounts previously flagged for illegal activity. If I have to guess, if you're trying to activate a new XRPL account, Xumm is going to check if that new account was created by a known bad account and warn you because you might be getting scammed.

Well, not really because if an account is inactive, there is no historical data stored in the XRP ledger, hence, why it is not possible to know if an unactivated account was created by a criminal because anyone can create a pair of keys.

21 minutes ago, wojake said:

Well, not really because if an account is inactive, there is no historical data stored in the XRP ledger, hence, why it is not possible to know if an unactivated account was created by a criminal because anyone can create a pair of keys.

Hmm.. True.

1 hour ago, wojake said:

It may be due to new KYC requirements from XRPLabs new license. Not that you have to KYC every new wallet, but the requirement may still blanket be enforced, IDK. XRPForensics is a trust worthy operation IMHO.

It could also be that the "new acct" is not actually an "un activated" acct, and that the acct is just new to XUMM. again IDK.

I have many XRPL wallets, all "activated" and none on XUMM. would be interesting to see if one of those created the same notice. I think if it is only for "unactivated" accts then it would seem like a useless double check. Unless the "check" is an on going check. So imagine you activate a new wallet, then a knows criminal/thief's wallet starts sending XRP into the newly activated wallet. 

18 hours ago, wojake said:

Maybe it means once the payment is sent, and possibly it just gives a warning that you're about to send to an unactivated account (which will also consume XRP as a reserve). 

Maybe, update means, to protect people who import accounts into xumm!

Like, if some bad actor was blasting a site, with new accounts

a person gets an account with public and private key, but the bad actor knows the private

so, a person, imports it into xumm, activates it, inputs some zerp into it, and this bad actor, rekey the master, and this poor person is out of his funds!

Maybe, xumm trying to protect against such stuff in their new update! (seems logical)

:JC_thinking:

On 12/9/2021 at 11:05 PM, at3n said:

Surely it's because the account could have been used by a scammer in the past, been flagged by XRPForensics, and then deleted. The scammer would still know the key.

even if deleted?! scammer will still know the key!/? :dthinking: (but its deleted?!)

Here we go, reincarnation theories! ( I knew This all along) !!!

Joking........not'e :lazy:

6 minutes ago, joe91 said:

even if deleted?! scammer will still know the key!/? :dthinking: (but its deleted?!)

Here we go, reincarnation theories! ( I knew This all along) !!!

Joking........not'e :lazy:

Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not...

But yes, the scammer will still know the key, deleting the account doesn't change the cryptography.

On 12/11/2021 at 1:18 AM, at3n said:

Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not...

But yes, the scammer will still know the key, deleting the account doesn't change the cryptography.

I am never socratestic, i am just drunk!

So if scammer knows the key; then account is deleted!?

Can you undelete it!?

God Forgive, i am not a programmer; I would of moved mountains!

:acute:

9 hours ago, joe91 said:

Can you undelete it!?

Yes, just by sending 10 XRP you can reactivate the account. It doesn't "undelete" it as such, because you won't see the old transactions (unless you look back through a full history node), but it becomes usable again with the same master key as before.

Edited by at3n

15 hours ago, joe91 said:

Can you undelete it!?

There are two different variables in this situation:
a private key (cryptography), and the XRP Ledger.

Anyone can create a private key with zero costs, a private key allows someone to sign a message or a transaction.

Anyone who holds a particular private key can sign messages and control the state of funds in its account in the XRP Ledger.

When someone funds an account in the XRP Ledger, they can now control the funds in the account, they can also delete the account.

When an account is deleted in the XRP Ledger, the account's funds must represent 0 and all the previous transaction still stay in the XRP Ledger, anyone can still check the account's history even if it's deleted.

But when an account is deleted, the private key is still available, anyone in hold of this private key can control the account on the XRP Ledger. A private key is not deleted/disabled when an account is deleted in the XRP Ledger.

On 12/10/2021 at 3:05 AM, at3n said:

Surely it's because the account could have been used by a scammer in the past, been flagged by XRPForensics, and then deleted. The scammer would still know the key.

I think this is the most logical answer, thanks.

Thank You for good explanations, from very talented people, who seem to know programming, much more than I do, but still for my simple mind it seems weird that if account is deleted, it can be brought to life later; it opens a lot of avenues for abuse or fraud i guess?!

Especially , if all balances were brought to zero, deletion should be permanent, why it is not such, is the question!?

Maybe, XRPL will change this mechanism in the future; who knows!

But again, at3n, wojake, Thank You for your input and information!!!

:drinks: