wojake

image.png.ce766cf55a52d08eca974e5551b9500b.png
So I'm thinking of publishing an avatar for my XRPL account, has anyone tried this feature yet? I have a few questions about it:
1. Is it permanent? Can I remove the picture in the future.
2. If I choose to remove it, will there be any trace of my email address or deleted picture?
3. If I add it, can anyone check what my email address is?

That's all for now, thanks.

43 minutes ago, wojake said:

So I'm thinking of publishing an avatar for my XRPL account, has anyone tried this feature yet? I have a few questions about it:
2. If I choose to remove it, will there be any trace of my email address or deleted picture?

I have. Seeing as how my name is forever recorded in the ledger, you can check it out.

https://bithomp.com/explorer/brianwalden

I guess, see if you can find my email address anywhere from the image.

One thing to be careful of is if you use a unique image, it probably wouldn't be too hard to do a reverse image search to trace it back to something that identifies you.

I stupidly use my real name everywhere so everyone can figure out that I'm a dead 20th-century British journalist and politician.

On 10/25/2021 at 8:12 PM, wojake said:

1. It's not permanent. Yes, you can remove it later.

2. Yes, it can leave a trace somewhere, there are some internet archives, cache etc of the picture and the email hash. 

3. people will see the email hash which is md5, which can be cracked by brut-forcing, but it can take some time

4. why do you ask? :) 

6 hours ago, Warbler said:

1. It's not permanent. Yes, you can remove it later.

2. Yes, it can leave a trace somewhere, there are some internet archives, cache etc of the picture and the email hash. 

3. people will see the email hash which is md5, which can be cracked by brut-forcing, but it can take some time

4. why do you ask? :)

Wanted to attach my personal picture to a wallet of mine hehe

6 hours ago, wojake said:

Wanted to attach my personal picture to a wallet of mine hehe

use a new email / gravatar which is not connected to your personally (that hash will be stored, and known even when you remove it)

The picture itself shouldn't be cached, unless you're have a super popular wallet and you keep picture for a long time. You will be able to change it in gravatar dashboard. 

Edited by Warbler

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, wojake said:

@Warbler well ****, Gravatar suffered a data breach.image.png.9bd79019331aab905669c6c0772dfab1.png

Wasn't the "accompanying data" already public? we do show the "name" from gravatar accounts. 

md5 is easy to crack, nowadays it's not used to secure things.. 

So, I don't really see the problem for Bithomp to continue showing the icons from gravatar. 

It's just those people who used gravatar will likely become a target for spam.

We have plans to allow all users to update/add icons without using gravatar.