Jump to content

Alternative to Bithomp tools


Skippy
 Share

Recommended Posts

I have always been a fan of Bithomp tools since you can sign transactions offline and then just broadcast them. However, I noticed there are some limits to it as it is discontinued, especially setting up a trustline to these new airdrops and the currency code is longer than 3 characters.

Is there really no "modern" alternative to bithomp tools? I just don't like the idea of importing the secret key to an online device. 

Feel free to give any tips or tell me if I'm completely paranoid. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You could program your own software that signs a transaction, I use python.
- offlinesoftware.py (for airgapped signing)
- onlinesoftware.py (for broadcasting transactions)

1. Get some old laptop or even a Raspberry Pi 4
2. Permanently disable Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and Sound
3. Install offlinesoftware.py in the machine
4. After you've signed a transaction, display signed tx in a QR code
5. Scan QR code and paste the python dictionary into a connected machine that has onlinesoftware.py
6. Broadcast transaction to a node

This is all just a hustle to code on your own but airgapped wallets are mostly for long term and secure holdings.

Edited by wojake
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Skippy I apologize Skippy ... I don't think that's the case. 

Perhaps it was with these guys though ... https://www.theworldexchange.net

Or maybe it was https://ripplerm.github.io/ripple-wallet/

There's been so many ways to this end I've honestly lost track.  

...

With XUMM.community (which I've used several times), the signing stays in the XUMM app on your phone. 

...

(too much wine tonight has me more focused on the 3-Letter currency code problem than ur offline concern ... once again, I shouldn't post when drinking ... )

Edited by RobertHarpool
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, wojake said:

You could program your own software that signs a transaction, I use python.
- offlinesoftware.py (for airgapped signing)
- onlinesoftware.py (for broadcasting transactions)

1. Get some old laptop or even a Raspberry Pi 4
2. Permanently disable Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and Sound
3. Install offlinesoftware.py in the machine
4. After you've signed a transaction, display signed tx in a QR code
5. Scan QR code and paste the python dictionary into a connected machine that has onlinesoftware.py
6. Broadcast transaction to a node

This is all just a hustle to code on your own but airgapped wallets are mostly for long term and secure holdings.

I guess it could be a good and fun thing to learn. Maybe I'll look into it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/21/2021 at 8:15 AM, Skippy said:

I have always been a fan of Bithomp tools since you can sign transactions offline and then just broadcast them. However, I noticed there are some limits to it as it is discontinued, especially setting up a trustline to these new airdrops and the currency code is longer than 3 characters.

Is there really no "modern" alternative to bithomp tools? I just don't like the idea of importing the secret key to an online device. 

Feel free to give any tips or tell me if I'm completely paranoid. 

Hi, Sorry, I haven't seen it earlier.

I've just fixed it, it works in version 0.5.2

https://github.com/Bithomp/bithomp-tools/releases/tag/0.5.2

We didn't want this tool to be used online (unless it is used with a hardware wallet), but for offline it's still good :) 

Just a bit more than a month ago in version 0.5.1 (The support for mnemonic passphrase was added).

It's actually was submitted by Wietse, I just reviewed it and approved it..

I mean, it is still a working tool, if you have some requests just open an issue:

https://github.com/Bithomp/bithomp-tools/issues

Or send me a DM here or on twitter @bakshayev

In December we will start working full time on bithomp project, so we might update the offline-tools at some point, if it will be an interest. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Warbler said:

Hi, Sorry, I haven't seen it earlier.

I've just fixed it, it works in version 0.5.2

https://github.com/Bithomp/bithomp-tools/releases/tag/0.5.2

We didn't want this tool to be used online (unless it is used with a hardware wallet), but for offline it's still good :) 

Just a bit more than a month ago in version 0.5.1 (The support for mnemonic passphrase was added).

It's actually was submitted by Wietse, I just reviewed it and approved it..

I mean, it is still a working tool, if you have some requests just open an issue:

https://github.com/Bithomp/bithomp-tools/issues

Or send me a DM here or on twitter @bakshayev

In December we will start working full time on bithomp project, so we might update the offline-tools at some point, if it will be an interest. 

Nice! 

However, I have a follow-up question:

How can the "currency code" be something like "XRdoge" to begin with? Yesterday I thought the Bithomp tools was working fine since I saw this on xrpl.org

Quote

The rippled APIs support two formats of currency code for issued currencies:

Standard Currency Codes: As a 3-character string such as "EUR" or "USD".

Nonstandard Currency Codes: As a 160-bit hexadecimal string, such as "0158415500000000C1F76FF6ECB0BAC600000000". This is uncommon.

Does XUMM (or bithomp tools now) somehow translate the XRdoge string to the hex code behind the scenes, or what? Why are 3+ currency codes possible if they shouldn't be :D

edit: I guess I'm just confused why 3+ char currency codes even work on XRPL 

Edited by Skippy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Skippy

So, there are two types of currencies: 

3 character and more than 3 characters which are represented as a 160-bit hex string. 

That means, that all currencies over 3 characters are looks like "5852646F67650000000000000000000000000000" on the ledger. Bithomp and Xumm decode them and show them as text, like "XRdoge" 

So, when you add a trustline in the currency filed you need to enter the HEX.

For the XRdoge it's must be:

5852646F67650000000000000000000000000000 

How to figure it out:

1) If it's a simple IOU token, then you can just convert "XRdoge" to HEX

https://string-functions.com/string-hex.aspx and add zeros 

2) Or you can find the project on bithomp

https://bithomp.com/explorer/rLqUC2eCPohYvJCEBJ77eCCqVL2uEiczjA

click on any transaction which use the coin, for example 

https://bithomp.com/explorer/373C56441A5EA20FFD1DEC9BFF12215784C18871D3A0740E11CCB83178BE0BBB

and look into the raw json, you will see

"TakerPays": { "currency": "5852646F67650000000000000000000000000000", "issuer": "rLqUC2eCPohYvJCEBJ77eCCqVL2uEiczjA",

3) Most of the new coin issuers have a link to xumm.community, the link itself has a currency code inside (If I'm not mistaken)

May be later we can add an auto converting from "currencyname" to HEX, it's just there are also xls-14 nfts and smth other way to use hex currencies might popup soon, it's new. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.