My solution for paper wallets and my challenge for hackers

huguh

I found a way to digitalize and store on the web my cold paper wallet. But in a way that won’t be vulnerable.  Some may say it’s not cold storage anymore the moment it touches the internet, but hear me out. This is considered to be the Achilles‘heel the fact that paper wallets could only be stored physically. Once digitalized it’s not good anymore since it becomes vulnerable for hacking. Well, if the key is in plain sight, then yeah, of course. The solution I remembered (cause I didn’t created any of this, I’m not pretending here I invented the wheel or something) works also for the physical storage. Let’s not forget that paper wallets can be stolen or lost in its physical form too

So here’s the deal:

At the end I’ll past a link to an image of a 100 by 50 character “map”. Mine actually have 100x100 but for the screenshot to feat well I’ll leave at 100x50. In this map a hacker or a smart robber could recognize that it contains the key for some crypto. Which crypto I own he doesn’t know (not even that he could tell)

The exact graphical pattern and/or the exact mathematical formula (in my case I have both) to find my specific key in a 10 thousand characters square only I can say

By the way, obviously the map necessarily contains all the possible keys in the universe that uses this kind of character selection…so, your key is in there too lol. Done it well this method offers the unique feature of combining with much more ease the possibility of enormous entropy for hiding the key and not only one but two cooler ways for memorizing it. Each one reinforcing the other: a mathematical formula to find where the characters are and a visually graphic memorization as well. Both of your own free imaginative choose. And that doesn’t need to be so much harder than to memorize more complex passwords like combinations of 12 or 24 words…

My challenge for all the hackers and quantum computers in the world: whoever finds my key in the map can keep all the coins for yourself. If that happens I wouldn’t claim the money back even if it were possible to do so.

Would this be the best solution for LONG TERM SAVINGS wallets? Combine this with using the wallet only ONE SINGLE TIME, so you don’t need to worry about typing the key online when withdrawing. Just withdraw the remains to a new paper wallet generated OFFLINE. This way you’ll have a system where you can store your key ANYWHERE, online AND  offline, without EVER worrying about anybody ever finding out your key EVEN  IF they have the  “MAP” in their hands. Never to worry about have to trust in third party APPS  AND DEVICES (the word ‘devices’ is important here)… never to worry about tech issues that may arise, and so on. In my head this is a simple, elegant and perfect solution. Old syle? Yeah, absolutely… after all it is paper in plain 2021 where everything is so “modern” and high tech but, hey, I prefer to be a pirate with my undecipherable paper map. Untouchable coins! Not a single hole in this plan. If you see one, please let me know.

Could anyone in this galaxy break it?

The challenge is on…

Link    https://i.postimg.cc/bv8K5xCn/key.png

• 4 weeks later...

@huguh

How do you suggest to store the "exact graphical pattern and/or the exact mathematical formula" - do you store that online, or do you think that should be offline also?

What's the benefit of using your method rather than using one of the well-known, audited, currently unbreakable encryption algorithms that already exist? e.g. Why not simply encrypt your paper wallet key with AES256, and keep the encryption key secret, the same way that you're keeping your mathematical formula secret?

Sorry for the long answer but I’m off duty and have nothing to do for today lol. And I enjoy talking about these things. So let’s go

@wojake

On 10/17/2021 at 10:40 PM, wojake said:

You might be on to something here but how does one cypher & decipher their private key?

I would love to hear more about this solution.

You see, that’s the thing... this is the part that has to be in your head. You may say "but that’s insecure because I may forget" 

Ok, so let’s break this down. But first let me make a disclaimer that everything here in my topic refers to hyper stretched security situations. I’m thinking as would a hyper security concerned crypto holder thought about this key storage problem in its minimal details and weakness possibilities…  A “security freak” we may say lol

My argument is that if you have a cold physical wallet (like i.e. a nano ledger or any similar device) you will have an issue. Two kinds of issues to be precise:

1.       You will have to trust a third party (the device manufacturer company, the seller and the delivery system. Potential problems:

a)      The manufacturer may not have an unhackable system now or in the future (unlikely to be the case for the strongest brands out there). This would be, in my opinion, the minor of the issues here listed, but nonetheless it is a flaw possibility in the mind of a security freak. One thing that sometimes cross my mind is all those big hacking stories that we see going to the news: wouldn’t be possible that many of this hacks were planned/executed or facilitated by a powerful inside developer that had turned against his own company? It could be i.e. an enraged developer seeking revenge against his boss; or could be an unbalanced developer who suddenly spots an opportunity to make big cash (that could happen by a number of ways if he has enough access and power to do so). In general, people don’t realize how powerful a system developer could become inside a company over time.  The amount of knowledge and sensitive information he has… But anyway I think this would be the minor of the concerns because I know the security in such top branded companies is extremely high.

b)      As many already have heard about this, even if you buy the device directly from the company (and thus do not have to rely on third party seller), you still would have to be concerned about the delivery system. Today all sorts of hacks have been seen where intercepted devices were altered before it arrived to the buyer’s house. Any way to prevent this is not 100% infallible.

2. Now imagine you just received your precious device by mail, you set it up, put your valued crypto in it and what do you get? A 12 or 24 word sequence problem. Do you see? You end up with the same issue a paper wallet holder has: how are you going to store such a sensitive information?: the 24 words / the secret key. Both of them got the exactly same problem

Note that “my” solution is also applicable for all types of wallets: hard wallets, cloud wallets, app based wallets, paper wallets… no matter what kind they all require that you store by yourself some information. That could be a recovery seed phrase, or a password, or a key or whatever. You will have a bunch of sequenced letters/numbers that only you can store and protect

All I presented in this post is a millenary idea for storage of words and numbers in a way that even if anybody finds it they cannot decipher it. Even in movies we see this situation where i.e. two prisoners in a penitentiary are communicating by writing. If cops get the paper they can’t read it because it is humanly encrypted . Only the prisoners involved can tell (in a paper full of scrambled letters) what are the coordinates for the valid letters of the message. And so, slowly but surely, they put those valid characters together being able then to make sense of the scrambled message

What are the advantages?

1) Now you can store your “personal encrypted file” (I will also call it a “mosaic” because it is a mosaic of scrambled letters and numbers) online and anywhere. I can rub my mosaic file on a hackers face and I wouldn’t care a bit because I know the total impossibility of him deciphering it. So that famous objection of the house burning down and you lose the paper where you wrote the phrase/key is now solved. You can spread multiple copies in multiple places that being either online, offline (like an usb) or even in a crude physical paper form, thus securing that you will never lose “contact” with your key in any situation

2) Its not in plain sight anymore. If a robber finds in your house your 24words written in paper he can figure that it is the key for some device/wallet. But if you elaborate a mosaic of, let’s say, 400 words (20 rows of words by 20 columns of words) than anybody can find it without ever being able to know what are the specific words and in what order they should be to unlock your device

@at3n

On 10/17/2021 at 11:36 PM, at3n said:

Why not simply encrypt your paper wallet key with AES256, and keep the encryption key secret, the same way that you're keeping your mathematical formula secret?

You see, that's the thing. Anyway you look at this you will always end up with the same problem: something in your hands that you have to memorize, to store securely or both. So this method I'm presenting:

3) Is much better for memorization. “Why than not just memorize the 24 word?” You may object that it’s the same thing, but I argue it is not. Some types of memorization are much much easier for the human mind. It’s not easy at all to memorize random numbers and letters. To memorize 24 words is easier but still very hard because the potential to forget over time is enormous. Unless you keep the annoying work of always check if it’s indeed well memorized. But to memorize graphical patterns or simple little “formulas” is much easier provided you don’t choose anything overly complex. Try to think of this pattern I’m talking about somewhat like those little graphic patterns we memorize to unlock the home screen of a cell phone. It's like the road in a pirate's map.It doesn’t need to be extremely complex to make a good strong encrypted mosaic. And just know this: hackers today don’t work with this type of security/encryption. This is not the kind of file that they can try to break by using any available program or code or whatever means they use today. Even more so if you upload your mosaic in an image file format like a jpeg print screen instead of a character typed document. Could you imagine a hacker trying to find a xrp secret key in a 10 thousand character mosaic that is stored in an image format? I certainly can’t and I would laugh hard if I saw anybody trying to do that. Especially considering that in this mosaic all the possible secret keys in the universe must be contained in some shape. Even if he converted the image letters to a typed letter document, it would be as impossible to find any key in there as it would be to brute force and find any crypto key whatsoever before the Sun explodes

3.1) You end up with two types of memorization for the same key, and being so one reinforces the other making it much more difficult to forget. One is the visual graphical pattern and the other can be a set of coordinates (rows and columns). So you memorize visually and “mathematically”. And I even thought of a mathematical and very cool way to encrypt that can make your key look very very mixed in the mosaic at the same time you would have to memorize only a very simple mathematical “formula” or “script”. This is the wonders of math. I’ll give an example. This is just an illustrative example, you can make your own as freely as your imagination choose:  

A little script to illustrate

I could arbitrarily choose a little mathematical script that could go like this: the first letter of my key I can put in A1 (excel column x row). Let’s say that it’s the letter “C”. Now “C” is the 3rd letter of the alphabet. Let’s say I choose a radom constant: I’m gonna choose the number 12. I multiply 12 by 3. Now let’s say that I add the first and second digit of the result to the first coordinate “A1”. So the coordinate for my second character of my key would be “D7”. That’s because 12x3=36 and A (which is 1) plus 3 will give me the column 4 (which is “D”). And 6+1=7 giving me the coordinate “D7” for the location in my mosaic for my next secret key character. Suppose the second character is “p”. So I write “p” on “D7” and repeat the process (p= 16º alphabet letter; 16x12=192…) just apply the “script” till you have placed your entire key in your mosaic. Just arrange a script that will result in a unique coordinate for each character of your key. That’s easier done with a medium or large mosaic. Depending on your “script” your key could end up so scrambled inside your mosaic that you would find it difficult to memorize the graphical pattern that emerges. But amazingly the mathematical script that produces it can be extremely simple just as the example I gave.

Of course you could privilege one over the other (mathematical script x graphical pattern). Maybe one person would find interesting a highly complex graphical pattern and others could be comfortable with a simpler one. The only thing is: don’t make them both too highly complex in a way that you could eventually forget. That would be very painful for sure   

4) If you memorize a 24 word sequence and determine that it will only be in your head, that to me is extremely scary. I personally wouldn’t trust my memory to do such a thing. And so with this method you have on your hands something tangible that isn’t completely “just in your head”

5) This method is free of malfunctions and software/electronic bugs. You are not stuck with something you don’t completely understand and can’t completely control

So… the downside

Downside: Danger! Yes, the “script” or “pattern”  itself is only in your head. It’s an easier way to memorize than a bunch of letters or words but if you do forget and can't remember at all… than yes, your crypto is gone. One way to solve this is to make a second file where you describe to yourself the pattern you have chose for your mosaic, just in case you can’t remember by yourself. Yes of course that creates a weakness because, for obvious reasons, the “mosaic” can never be found together with the “instructions”. But I don’t think that’s any of an issue if you do it right. You can make these instructions in a bit of an abstract manner so only you can understand what it is about and to what that refers to. And then you just store them separetly (the mosaic and its instruction) in a way that can never be found together. You can freely store both of them in physical and digital form, online and offline in a variety of places. Just make sure to store them completely separate from each other. But like I’ve said, you can make this self instruction in a bit of an abstract way so that only you can understand what that’s all about. So even if they were to be found together the person who finds it cannot understand any thing from nothing else. And so with this simple little idea the memorization problem can also be entirely solved! Although I think still very important to well memorize by yourself too and not just rely on the instructions. I also recomend the memorization of the secret key itself. Never hurts to add another layer of remembrance 

So you see… in short: you’ve got at least two types or layers of memory reinforcing each other, and you’ve got separately an abstract self instruction file (that’s the “just in case” file) so no terrifying worries about memorization can hit you, and you have an unbreakable mosaic that can be stored anywhere and you don’t need to worry if it will ever be found by anybody. And also never to worry about being “separated” from your key as you can spread it everywhere. You could store it in your enemy's pocket

Just to remember what I said in the original post: this by no means is a method to be a practical wallet. This idea here is to be employed to the most important wallet, the “savings” wallet which should not be be accessed too frequently, because, really, it’s not practical. You won’t buy a cup of coffee with this wallet lol

By far not the most practical one, but by far the most untouchable one

A final concern: if anybody who read this decides to apply this method than be advised you should take extremely care while generating your own mosaic in order to not make absolutely any mistakes in manufacturing it. Any mistake could leave you without access to your key  

Apply all this with what I’ve said in my original post:

On 9/23/2021 at 9:23 AM, huguh said:

Would this be the best solution for long ter savings wallets? Combine this with using the wallet only one single time, so you don’t need to worry about having to put your secret key online when withdrawing. Just withdraw the remains to a new paper wallet generated offline.

And you will have what I call a "untoucheable, unbreakable, invisible wallet"

It's everywhere, it's anywhere

Edited by huguh

On 10/18/2021 at 12:25 AM, EasterBunny said:

send a word/excel doc...

Image file sucks right? lol 

But thats the point too: an image file is even worse for hacking

A hacker could convert it to a typed document of course , but that wouldn't make any difference for him, as it still would be unbreakable

4 hours ago, huguh said:

If you memorize a 24 word sequence and determine that it will only be in your head, that to me is extremely scary. I personally wouldn’t trust my memory to do such a thing. And so with this method you have on your hands something tangible that isn’t completely “just on your head”

I wouldn’t trust my memory either.  But it’s not as hard as you seem to think.

A very effective way for the words to be remembered is oral story telling.  You make up a story involving all the words in sequence then tell them to the air emphasising the keywords.  If you do that a couple of times for a month or so you are likely to be able to repeat it years hence.

People learn the Koran or Bible chapters word perfectly.  It’s not something that’s done by everyone,  but it likely could be if they wished.

As for the tangible….  it won’t help if the script eludes your recall.  You’ve just moved the problem I think.

38 minutes ago, BillyOckham said:

People learn the Koran or Bible chapters word perfectly.  It’s not something that’s done by everyone,  but it likely could be if they wished

I agree with that, I’m sure many people can do it and can rely solely in their memory but I myself cannot do that. I would shake uncontrollably if I suddenly realized that some irrecoverable password I have is only in my mind. Can’t trust my memory at all, sir.

I know this because the only thing I do remember without any error for years on end is maybe a little prayer for is the only thing I repeat here and there since child. Every time I thought I had forever in my mind any piece of information I just discovered later on that it wasn’t the case ever at all.

I have good fights, sometimes enduring fights with google and other sites trying to figure out what’s the little variation of login/password is in current use among  the little bunch of “general” logins I have since I was a teenager. Laughable but true lol

A few observations:

Your image starts with a long string of characters that do not contain any lowercase. The odds of having 25 random, non lower case numbers in a row is a billion to 1. Also note the "O", which is not contained in the Base-58 alphabet. The cypher key is stored here, right in the beginning in plain sight. 

I can also see that there are long strings of repeated characters in multiple places and they seem to be arranged in some sort of pattern. Any pattern or 'formula' that is easy for you to remember is trivial for a computer. https://imgur.com/a/lqpbfou

Here's a key where I've rearranged a some of the characters. sSUTbnoPBrXtMeMyMHUVTgbuqAfg1. It's very easy for me to use but I've made it much less secure. It's also potentially compromised each and every time I use it though whatever software or internet connection it was entered in. 

I didn’t get much of what you’ve said, but like I told before, if anybody find any secret key in there feel free to cash it all out

whoever finds my key in the map can keep all the coins for yourself. If that happens I wouldn’t claim the money back even if it were possible to do so

21 minutes ago, wojake said:

How much is in the wallet?

Well, that’s the thing: Elon Musk's bitcoin secret key and David Schwartz xrp secret key are also contained in some shape or form in the image I provided. And how much is in those wallets? Well thats easy: all we have to do is to hack the image file till we can squeeze does keys out   :lol:

And don't forget: don’t tell anybody that your secret is in there too, otherwise your key will be compromised lol 

Edited by huguh

@huguh Thanks for explaining in so much detail, I understand where you're coming from. I get that something like this is less likely to be picked up by malware looking for the more traditional codes, and if it makes it easier for you to remember, then that's useful for that purpose.

However the points raised by @EasterBunny are a great example of how easy it is to compromise what might otherwise be a strong system. Of course we don't know how strong your formula is, but even assuming that it's cryptographically perfect and unpredictable, we can still see the following from the grid:

• All the repetition in your grid is a clue that you were probably taking shortcuts in filling in the gaps between your actual secret key characters (with copy and paste). An attacker could make an educated guess that anywhere there is repetition (beyond a few characters) can likely be discounted.
  • Long strings of statistically unlikely characters (e.g. no lower-case for 25 chars) are more indications of what has been inserted artificially. A computer could find patterns like this, and way more complex but similarly unlikely patterns, very quickly.
  • Letters that don't exist as possible characters in an XRP secret key can be discounted (and characters around them are likely to be false as well).
  • Maybe we can also assume that once you use one cell, you will never use it again (what are that chances that your formula arrives back in the same place twice with the same character?), so this will reduce the total number of permutations further.

These are simple examples, and I'm sure that cryptography experts could apply much better technical knowledge and algorithms to break it down further.

Yes, the above points could be mitigated by actually generating the grid randomly with only base58 characters, but the point is, how will you know when you've done enough to properly secure the data? This is why it's commonly advised to stick to the tried and tested encryption ciphers because of the difficulty of creating your own encryption without making any mistakes.

I'll admit that I don't know how to calculate even roughly how difficult it would be to crack your grid, taking the above into account, but just be careful about publishing secrets encrypted with your own homemade ciphers.

Edited by at3n

16 minutes ago, huguh said:

@at3n

Yeah thanks for the clarified objections you made. You have some good points there I should address. But first I have a question. Do you have an idea on how the grid was made? Im curious to now how does this particular grid look to others

Then I explain to you how I did it and also I'll address your objections, you have some good ones there I should say something about it

I assume that you populated the grid first using the characters of your secret key, using your undisclosed formula, and then filled in the gaps "randomly", although probably not using a truly random method? My first guess would be keyboard-mashing and copy-pasting into Excel, before using some other program to generate the actual image? But I haven't put much time into working that out.

Honestly I wouldn't have noticed if @EasterBunny hadn't pointed out the flaws, but if I was an attacker specifically targeting you (which you have invited :)), I would have started by looking for the things that I mentioned. I think it would take less than an hour to type the whole thing out accurately.

I excluded my last post before you quoted it. How you did that? Are you a secret moderator? Spit it out buddy

Ok, so you made some good objections there I should address. I'll do this in bits. By the way Im no expert in the field, I did open this topic to test my strategy against objections

First let me remember that: 

At the end I’ll past a link to an image of a 100 by 50 character “map”. Mine actually have 100x100 but for the screenshot to feat well I’ll leave at 100x50

This is not my actual grid, which doesnt change the fact that my personal key is contained in the grid I posted. And its possible to conceive a mathematical script to find any key and all keys that exists in there. So in my head the challenge still valid, but I accept if anybody thinks that is not. Just dont cry on me

18 hours ago, at3n said:

Of course we don't know how strong your formula is, but even assuming that it's cryptographically perfect and unpredictable, we can still see the following from the grid:

Alright so here I should explain how the grid was made. Well since this grid was just to illustrate my topic, so I was a bit lazy for that part and I did like this: just generating public addresses and copying the last half of them. Past it up to some editor till the grid is done. I did it very sloppy

Thats not exactly how I did mine, although also based on pub key generation. Just more broadly (with more character types) and using shorter bits of the generated pub keys. But I do have a genuine doubt on that and I'll explain bellow

18 hours ago, at3n said:

All the repetition in your grid is a clue that you were probably taking shortcuts

Yeah, now that you mentioned I remember ( I did this post like a month ago...) that I was quite sloppy in doind this. Yeah I did repeated many strings. Now I think I get what @EasterBunny was saying. Of course I didnt think anybody would indeed look into the grid itself  in such a detail. Boy I was wrong lol. I thought it just to be an illustrative thing and only the idea behind it would be in discussion, if that. By the way I appreciate all the feedback Im receiving here 

But I do have a doubt on how random would be considered to take the last 50% (or maybe less? like I did on my grid) of a bunch of public addresses until it fills a 10 thousand cell grid. Im no expert but from what I understand the public key itself is random enough and there is no way to know if you are dealing with 10%, 20%, 90% or whatever percentage of a key in a pool of fragmented keys

@at3n said above: "I assume that you populated the grid first using the characters of your secret key, using your undisclosed formula, and then filled in the gaps "randomly"

The opposit, first the grid then sub the characters on the chosen coordinates with the secret key characters

@at3n said above:  "My first guess would be keyboard-mashing"

LoL it is funny to read that. Yeah maybe this is how 50% crypto keys looks like :lol:

But seriously, yeah you're right,  that I know too.. nothing very random about keyboard mashing

@at3n said: "Honestly I wouldn't have noticed if @EasterBunny hadn't pointed out the flaws"

You tell me... this easterbunny guy is trying to find some chocolate eggs huh? lol

18 hours ago, at3n said:

Long strings of statistically unlikely characters

You are objecting the way keys themselfs are generated and how they look like

18 hours ago, at3n said:

are more indications of what has been inserted artificially

Yeah, all cryptography is "inserted artificially", but if you meant "indications of not very random", I object that keys are very random. And a collection of partial keys would also be very random would it not? Thats the doubt I have

18 hours ago, at3n said:

A computer could find patterns like this

No way. A computer cannot reconstruct or reverse engineering keys and therefore cannot say if this or that is 10% of a key or 90% of a key and also cannot find "patterns" in a pool of fragmented keys

18 hours ago, at3n said:

Letters that don't exist as possible characters in an XRP secret key can be discounted (and characters around them are likely to be false as well).

I was sloppy, I may have used bitcoin pub key generator, please dont throw stones at me lol 

The ideal would be to make an all inclusive grid map that contains all types of characters current in use on cryptos. And therefore one could use the same grid to hide more than one key and more than one crypto 

18 hours ago, at3n said:

Maybe we can also assume that once you use one cell, you will never use it again (what are that chances that your formula arrives back in the same place twice with the same character?), so this will reduce the total number of permutations further.

Didnt quite get that, but yes you make a formula that leads the way without any ambiguity of cells 

18 hours ago, at3n said:

so this will reduce the total number of permutations further.

Come on get out of here lol. I still argue that a good grid can't be brute forced. Think about it. I give you a simple alphabet, lower and upper case, and also 10 numbers. Now I say to the the best hacker ever: "brute force a key from that". Thats almost the same thing but it's a 10 thousand cell grid with scattered characters 

18 hours ago, at3n said:

Yes, the above points could be mitigated by actually generating the grid randomly with only base58 characters

Agreed

18 hours ago, at3n said:

how will you know when you've done enough to properly secure the data? This is why it's commonly advised to stick to the tried and tested encryption ciphers

If its possible to understand and trust the tried and tested encryption ciphers, and if is possible to replicate them (i.e the base58 you mentioned), then is possible to make a trustable random grid. And I have a few points:

a) no hacking method exists today for this type of encryption

b) math is amazing: simple math scripts can result in a complete random and scattered coordinates for the key placement

c) being true that all the keys in the universe are contained in the grid, and being true that for all possible patterns there is at least one mathematical algorithm that can describe its "shape" on the grid, then its also true that a hacking attempt would mean that all keys in the universe are potentially in jeopardy. Which is an absurd

d) the data banking for predictable math scripts (as they do with passwords) is not at sight for the foreseeable future

18 hours ago, at3n said:

without making any mistakes.

I dont recomend this method for anybody with any attention disorder. It has to be checked very well if the script and the letters are all right

A final two arguments in form of two (extreme) use cases

But first let me be clear that this isnt about hardware x paper. My method is for any wallet as they all leave you with some code in your hands and that leaves you with three problems: the hidding, the memorization and the recovery

Use case 1

A robber breaks in your house looking specially for keys and codes (can you imagine this type of robbery becoming more and more common in the future...?) What do you preffer: that he finds it in plain sight on a paper or hindered in your personal encryption?

Use case 2

Gary Bearish Gensler starts to put every crypto holder in prison and now you are in jail lol. But now with this method you can call your mom (or friends or anybody else) to bring to you the grid you have stored in many accessible places, but only you can decipher. Or you could inform her on what is the script to find the key in the grid. I’m sure something like that could be useful in some extreme or peculiar situation. Quite unlikely, but, hey,we are living in strange times. A device stored key could be a serious impediment depending on the circumstances. It’s clear that a piece of paper is much more manageable and doesn’t need any machine to be read. And if you have only a plain sight code backup paper, then it is probably so well securely hidden that possibly not even a close person would find it at all

This grid idea can have many use cases I think

Edited by huguh