Jump to content

Jay Clayton trying to leave his sinking ship?


Recommended Posts

It seems SEC are in full panic over the interest shown by FOX business and are spilling a lot of beans when they talk with Gasparino.  This excuse that Clayton was somehow out of the loop when the decision was made to sue Ripple is so easy to knock down, but they try it on the not fully up to speed Gasparino all the same!

Quote

 

Gasparino Twitter:  BREAKING (1/2): Legal sources tell @FoxBusiness the next year will be crucial to #cryptocurrecy regulation. @SEC_Enforcement

cases against @Ripple and possibly @coinbase. GOP lawmakers now asking @GaryGensler to provide some uniform framework for his regulation and whether

regulation by enforcement is appropriate. Jay Clayton's decision to sue @Ripple may have been staff decision, but staff will have to explain key differences between

@Ripple XRP and @ethereum, which has escaped reg scrutiny thanks to @JohnEDeaton1  lawsuit. Get popcorn ready

 

I think this blabbing by SEC is a further indication that settlement is now very close and they don't care what lies they tell when trying to shift the blame. 

Edited by Julian_Williams
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Julian_Williams said:

I think this blabbing by SEC is a further indication that settlement is now very close and they don't care what lies they tell when trying to shift the blame. 

I am grateful for this coverage and hope it leads to more...but I am certainly not ready to trust that Gasparino immediately received answers from the SEC directly. Especially not answers that could disrupt the case. 

So my guess is his sources are definitely not inside the SEC, but as long as this is all turning up the heat on them I am fine with that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, RipMcGillicuddy said:

I am grateful for this coverage and hope it leads to more...but I am certainly not ready to trust that Gasparino immediately received answers from the SEC directly. Especially not answers that could disrupt the case. 

So my guess is his sources are definitely not inside the SEC, but as long as this is all turning up the heat on them I am fine with that. 

maybe, I did not pick up on that nuance, but he copies in @SEC_Enforcement as if they are in his loop here.  "Legal sources" seem to me to be a way of saying they don't want to be identified as who they really are, and who would want make up that BS other than someone spinning from inside the SEC to protect Clayton?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Julian_Williams changed the title to Jay Clayton trying to leave his sinking ship?
17 minutes ago, Julian_Williams said:

maybe, I did not pick up on that nuance, but he copies in @SEC_Enforcement as if they are in his loop here.  "Legal sources" seem to me to be a way of saying they don't want to be identified as who they really are, and who would want make up that BS other than someone spinning from inside the SEC to protect Clayton?

I realize you're not American and the media may be better where you live, but here when journalists cite "sources," you've got at best a 50/50 bet between them citing an actual source who wants to remain anonymous and just making the whole thing up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

NEW tweet from Gasparino: BREAKING(1/2): Based on my reporting I think the @SEC_Enforcement case against @Ripple brought by Jay Clayton was less about his current work now than him deferring to @SEC_Enforcement  staff etc and bringing the case to protect regulatory turf v @CFTC  on #cryptocurrency. Clayton is known to bow to staff concerns. Doesnt mean its a good case; in fact, protecting turf is a symptom of the haphazard way #cryptocurrencies #blockchain is being regulated & why we need consistency immediately or we will get our clocks cleaned on this technology by China

This is getting more and more bizarre. Poor little Clayton being pushed around by his staff.  Nothing to do with the conflict of interest when it comes to the job he moved on to? or the fact he brought Eth moneybags Hinman into the team and helped him with his free pass ETH speech.  These sources are really trying to spin a yarn to cover Clayton's exposed bum.

I guess they can see criminal investigations coming like a high speed train straight towards them.

and here is a summary of innocent pushover Clayton's post SEC wheeling and dealings

https://www.claytonhinmanfacts.com/post/jay-clayton-s-post-sec-wheeling-and-dealing

 

Edited by Julian_Williams
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, brianwalden said:

I realize you're not American and the media may be better where you live, but here when journalists cite "sources," you've got at best a 50/50 bet between them citing an actual source who wants to remain anonymous and just making the whole thing up.

If Gasparino was 'making the whole thing up' while insinuating his source was @SEC_Enforcement, how long do you think it would take the SEC to shut him up and sue him?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, StrangeDays said:

If Gasparino was 'making the whole thing up' while insinuating his source was @SEC_Enforcement, how long do you think it would take the SEC to shut him up and sue him?

This is the US, it's very difficult to bring a successful libel/slander suit if you're a public figure or organization. His claim isn't that the source is some official SEC communication line, but somebody in the SEC told him this. The SEC would have to prove that no one, down to the night janitor talked to him and additionally show that his false report was intentional and caused them financial damages. So in my opinion, there is very little chance that the SEC sues him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, VanHasen said:

Lets see if Gasparino gets the facts together the more his digging continues.

Looking at the retweet/like ratio on the ripple vs SEC tweets compared to the other stuff he puts out on his twitter feed is quite remarkable. He cant ignore the interest on this topic

 

It's right there in front of him. He just needs to know that the working group that wrote and submitted the framework proposal that dictated Hinman's speech is an ethereum working group. The law firm that wrote and submitted it (Perkins Coie) along with one of the other law firms are on the Eth Enterprise Alliance (and were when they wrote it). 

Not that it wouldn't lead to distractions, but the same law firm (Perkins Coie) is in the news this week for some other shady stuff that may be juicier to Fox viewers of course because it deals with Clinton/Trump. 

But he has the outline for a great story to chase. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.