Jump to content

What Sets Avalanche Apart From Other Blockchains?


 Share

Recommended Posts

https://cryptoseq.medium.com/what-sets-avalanche-apart-from-other-blockchains-3c5f4a4c0889

Quote

15/ With 10% malicious nodes, Cardano calculated 15 blocks are required to achieve the same level of security as Bitcoin’s six block rule, which means finality of around 5 minutes. If a larger % is controlled by an attacker, then this increases significantly further.

16/ Other blockchains such as Solana also use a leader and follow longest chain rule, where they can add blocks to the blockchain without first reaching consensus on their validity. So even though it has 400ms block times, they can be reverted and offer weak security initially.

17/ With Finality on Solana lasting around 13 seconds. With Avalanche the entire network reaches consensus and transactions are irreversible and final within less than a second offering immediate transaction security of the entire network.

Very interesting read, especially the bits comparing Avalanche to Solana, Cardano, etc. 

I think this is especially relevant for XRP holders because Avalanche is really the backbone for Flare (with significant modifications of course). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, thinlyspread said:

https://cryptoseq.medium.com/what-sets-avalanche-apart-from-other-blockchains-3c5f4a4c0889

Very interesting read, especially the bits comparing Avalanche to Solana, Cardano, etc. 

I think this is especially relevant for XRP holders because Avalanche is really the backbone for Flare (with significant modifications of course). 

The more I learn about FLR the better it looks.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Still curious about this so posting it in Avalanche thread. 

Is the difference between the fundraising noted in the article below that the tokens were sold specifically to accredited investors? To me it just looks like a central authority - well they call them foundations these days - sold a bunch of tokens to build out their product...

Is AVAX based overseas and therefore safe from the hammer?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ninabambysheva/2021/09/16/olaf-carlson-wees-polychain-capital-co-leads-230-million-investment-in-ethereum-challenger-capitalizing-on-defi/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, RipMcGillicuddy said:

Still curious about this so posting it in Avalanche thread. 

Is the difference between the fundraising noted in the article below that the tokens were sold specifically to accredited investors? To me it just looks like a central authority - well they call them foundations these days - sold a bunch of tokens to build out their product...

Is AVAX based overseas and therefore safe from the hammer?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ninabambysheva/2021/09/16/olaf-carlson-wees-polychain-capital-co-leads-230-million-investment-in-ethereum-challenger-capitalizing-on-defi/

I'm not a lawyer, but I think you've basically got it right. US securities laws are a lot more strict than the rest of the world, so what they're doing is probably perfectly fine where they are. And I believe you can sell securities to accredited investors in the US because they're allegedly so much more sophisticated than the rest of us. And even if they did sell to some unaccredited Americans, it's probably hard to prosecute them if they don't have a presence in the US.

Ripple for example has sold several rounds of private stock which it registered as securities and sold to accredited investors (VCs and fintech companies, etc). The SEC has no problem with that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, brianwalden said:

I'm not a lawyer, but I think you've basically got it right. US securities laws are a lot more strict than the rest of the world, so what they're doing is probably perfectly fine where they are. And I believe you can sell securities to accredited investors in the US because they're allegedly so much more sophisticated than the rest of us. And even if they did sell to some unaccredited Americans, it's probably hard to prosecute them if they don't have a presence in the US.

Ripple for example has sold several rounds of private stock which it registered as securities and sold to accredited investors (VCs and fintech companies, etc). The SEC has no problem with that.

Yea that's how I am seeing it as well and assuming it must be the case. It's just that considering the constraints Ripple are under currently, it is crazy to see another project publicly flouting that they have  sold $230M worth of their tokens in order to fund the development of the project and boost liquidity. 

That's just an LOL from me because that is I think what Ripple have been charged with doing with their XRP. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, RipMcGillicuddy said:

Yea that's how I am seeing it as well and assuming it must be the case. It's just that considering the constraints Ripple are under currently, it is crazy to see another project publicly flouting that they have  sold $230M worth of their tokens in order to fund the development of the project and boost liquidity. 

That's just an LOL from me because that is I think what Ripple have been charged with doing with their XRP. 

Yeah, there are nuances there. If the tokens were sold strictly for their intrinsic value that comes from using them on the ledger rather than the promise of future value that Avalanche the business will add, that's not a security. If the buyers were companies looking to build apps and stuff in the Avalanche ecosystem, that's not a security because they're actively participating in the value creation rather than passively relying on Avalanche to do it. These distinctions are going to be important in the Ripple case.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.