MoneyGram and Stellar

Couple of questions

1. Dosent Ripple still own some of MoneyGram, thus having a vote, and would receive some of the proceeds if a sale were to go through?

2. Is Jed using his XRP sales to buy MoneyGram? What would the SEC make of that situation? 

3. Why would Stellar want to buy MoneyGram? Strategic move or Tactical move?

Just wondering?

I am sceptical of this deal.  I just don't understand any reputable company wanting to partner Stellar/Jed after what happened at MT Gox and Ripple.  An outright buy maybe, since they couldn't really stop that, and Jed has a pile of mney.

Is it Advent or Stellar that are proposing to buy MoneyGram?

How is the partnership between Stellar and Hyperledger/IBM going?

7 minutes ago, WrathofKahneman said:

Doesn't it kind of confirm Ripple's approach to bootstrapping liquidity - Stellar has none, so buy MGI and make them run on it?

But to "run on XLM" would require robust liquidity pools at all the rail endpoints.
Where is that gonna come from ?
Or is there some other use for XLM in the work flow of MGI's remittance services ?
( I must be missing something, I fear )

3 minutes ago, WrathofKahneman said:

Yeah, for sure. MGI did sign with CoinMe to use their Bitcoin app.  Could it be that they tokenize BTC on the network and ship around treasury amounts like Ripple did? CoinMe offering an important gateway?

Time will tell I guess. 
Will be interesting to see if anyone architects a more optimal solution to ODL for the lowest friction. 

1 hour ago, Julian_Williams said:

Is it Advent or Stellar that are proposing to buy MoneyGram?

How is the partnership between Stellar and Hyperledger/IBM going?

Great questions!

I could see Advent trying to enter, and IBM wanting out. Or IBM maybe not wanting out.

Interesting idea that Stellar may want to aquire/become an international MSB like MoneyGram is. That would give them physical and legal infrastructure on a global scale.

47 minutes ago, JASCoder said:

Time will tell I guess. 
Will be interesting to see if anyone architects a more optimal solution to ODL for the lowest friction. 

In theory Stellar could simply copy/paste Ripple's ODL solution. I think they would also have to figure out how to do Line of Credit LoC for XLM, but my How xPool methods would work just as well on an XRPL fork like Stellar. So doable.

You need to LoC feature and to be able to have an inventory of both Digital Assets (XRP/XLM)...& pools of liquidity with enough depth to meet the demand.

At the end of the day, Ripple's strategic focus on banks and central banks will place their network lower/deeper in the liquidity pools.

Honestly I have no idea how the liquidity of xrp and xlm compare? I'd imagine some locations have deeper liquidity in each currency. Idk

1 minute ago, KarmaCoverage said:

Great questions!

I could see Advent trying to enter, and IBM wanting out. Or IBM maybe not wanting out.

Interesting idea that Stellar may want to aquire/become an international MSB like MoneyGram is. That would give them physical and legal infrastructure on a global scale.

In theory Stellar could simply copy/paste Ripple's ODL solution. I think they would also have to figure out how to do Line of Credit LoC for XLM, but my How xPool methods would work just as well on an XRPL fork like Stellar. So doable.

You need to LoC feature and to be able to have an inventory of both Digital Assets (XRP/XLM)...& pools of liquidity with enough depth to meet the demand.

At the end of the day, Ripple's strategic focus on banks and central banks will place their network lower/deeper in the liquidity pools.

Honestly I have no idea how the liquidity of xrp and xlm compare? I'd imagine some locations have deeper liquidity in each currency. Idk

but isn't a lot of that stuff patented by Ripple and out of bounds for XLM to simply take over and use? 

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Julian_Williams said:

but isn't a lot of that stuff patented by Ripple and out of bounds for XLM to simply take over and use? 

Idk,their one patent, the oldest one, seemed to be more about RippleNet and ILP and making segmented networks connected. (I may also have just not understood the key goal)

I haven't read the most recent patent, but someone told me it sounded a bit like loaning XRP, and asked if it was like my How xPool methods, idk, guess I should read it. We are under a "first to file" rule now anyway.

Edited by KarmaCoverage