Why XRP is the future

1 hour ago, Gamblord said:

Xrp isnt the future but it is possible to walk away in profit before the end of this bull cycle. The type of retail investors from wsb that invest in coins like DOGE might pile into xrp if they see price go up. I agree xrpl is interesting but xrp is depressing. No smart contracts, no development, no staking. Ripple had to pay devs to copy paste code from ethereum and some other projects to make a 2nd layer for XRP so it can have these things.

Problem is the base layer of XRP is not something people like. The monetary policy is.....Ripple decide how much to dump on you to raise funds to promote xrp. There's no mining, just 75 validators motivated to run nodes because Ripple probably pays them. There's no incentive to run a XRP node. 

You should do some homework and educate yourself with the facts ...Ripple doesn't pay anyone to run XRP nodes.. It's not POW nor is it POS..

Here is the proof: 

"The best incentive is no incentive ".

1 hour ago, richxrp said:

You should do some homework and educate yourself with the facts ...Ripple doesn't pay anyone to run XRP nodes.. It's not POW nor is it POS..

Here is the proof: 

Here's his argument since you are too lazy to Google, then copy paste:

If you want to perform transactions, you either need to run a server or you need to use someone else's. If you don't want to have to rely on anyone else, you run your own. There is no additional cost to run a validator, it's literally just one command that you enter.

In exchange, you have a say in the evolution of the network. You become a stakeholder. If you care about how the network runs in the future, you will want to have a say in how it operates.

If the network has utility and value, those who benefit from it will want a say in how it evolves so that it maintains that utility and value for them. So they will have a financial incentive to be a validator.

You can download rippled onto a PC and be up and running as a validator on a home Internet connection in five minutes.

Basically, there is zero incentive to run a Ripple node. The exception might be a company or institution that cares about the xrp ecosystem. Who would that be? Oh I don't know..maybe a company/institution paid by Ripple with XRP?

Im aware xrp is neither POW or POS. What I said is there is no incentive to run a node. I have my facts straight.

2 hours ago, BillyOckham said:

Ah.  A maxi view.  Without mining it CANT be good.  Sigh.

Uh no. My criticism is about how Ripple is rent seeking. 

Edited by Gamblord

1 hour ago, Gamblord said:

Who would that be? Oh I don't know..maybe a company/institution paid by Ripple with XRP?

.. and from which credible source did you glean that factoid ?

One of the interesting things about XRP is that a tiny % of the asset is burned when it's sort of ordered to get up and transport itself somewhere and do something.  Uses its own energy, let's say - and that "energy" does NOT accrue to "third parties" - whether or not they're running a validator that is processing tx's and advancing XRPL's state (or keeping history).  Nobody makes anything off of "relaying any commands" or "bouncing signals around" the network for any XRP (or the XRPL) to do something, either (that stuff is all ancillary / can happen elsewhere).

It's a small point - escapes most people.  May be nothing.  May be something.  Guess we'll see if it matters, in time... :)

(I skip impromptu lecture about relationship btwn finitude/infinitude, with reference to scale and/or granularity - despite urge to work in a "There's Plenty Of Room At The Bottom" (or top!) reference that Caltech would catch!)

Edited by NightJanitor
Bedtime for this Bonzo? (Or do I hear "Bongos?" Maybe so! Maybe so!)

2 hours ago, Gamblord said:

Uh no. My criticism is about how Ripple is rent seeking. 

You have nearly all your “facts” wrong though.  The rent seeking is in your mind, not the real world.

2 hours ago, Gamblord said:

Basically, there is zero incentive to run a Ripple node. The exception might be a company or institution that cares about the xrp ecosystem. Who would that be? Oh I don't know..maybe a company/institution paid by Ripple with XRP?

See this is why I think you have the BTC maxi mindset.  You seem incapable of seeing that PARTICIPANTS in the ecosystem have an incentive.  Also people who want fast access to historical blocks.  Also civic minded institutions like universities etc.

There are more motivations in the world than ‘dollars into hand’.

So you appear to have made the false assumption that only money (XRP from Ripple) could incentivise node operators and from that bad assumption built a house of cards about Ripples behaviour.  From there your other bad assumptions about centralisation etc stem.

There are node operators who used to frequent this forum until fud and toxic assertions made the place unpalatable for them.  They were driven away from the forum by the very mentality that thinks only paid folk would do what they do.  The mentality that you are espousing here.

6 hours ago, BillyOckham said:

You have nearly all your “facts” wrong though.  The rent seeking is in your mind, not the real world.

See this is why I think you have the BTC maxi mindset.  You seem incapable of seeing that PARTICIPANTS in the ecosystem have an incentive.  Also people who want fast access to historical blocks.  Also civic minded institutions like universities etc.

There are more motivations in the world than ‘dollars into hand’.

So you appear to have made the false assumption that only money (XRP from Ripple) could incentivise node operators and from that bad assumption built a house of cards about Ripples behaviour.  From there your other bad assumptions about centralisation etc stem.

There are node operators who used to frequent this forum until fud and toxic assertions made the place unpalatable for them.  They were driven away from the forum by the very mentality that thinks only paid folk would do what they do.  The mentality that you are espousing here.

Money/greed is not the only incentive but it is major incentive that drives more than 99.999% of transactions in crypto. You won't be able to convince too many universities to run a Ripple node in perpetuity because they are "interested" in the tech/ecosystem. Trying to argue that I'm wrong because technically there are a small number of participants running a node for other reasons than money doesn't invalidate my point. There is no financial incentive to run a XRP node. You arent being convincing by arguing an edge case.

I called Ripple's behaviour rent seeking to which your reply is nuh-uh. Very convincing.

I called out XRP for centralization of nodes with 75 nodes, of their centralisation in monetary policy, centralisation in monetary supply yet these facts are never addressed. These things don't matter to you or I but it matters to everyone else in the wider crypto community, developers and investors. They see these glaring problems and don't want to hold bags of worthless coins with no future. Many will buy in to ride the wave up until the end of the bull run but they will dump their bags just as fast as they bought them. And after the bear market starts and the SEC suit is settled there will nothing holding back Brad & Larson from dumping their billions of XRP on the market for your parabolic 90% dump. That will be the cue for "willing to hold XRP for 10 years" and "just bought back in" comments.

Edited by Gamblord

10 hours ago, Gamblord said:

Money/greed is not the only incentive but it is major incentive that drives more than 99.999% of transactions in crypto.

So?   99.999% of people don’t run a node.  

The fact is that there are enough people who need, or want, to run a node that it has managed  65 million immutable settlements and as usage grows so too will that number of rare entities who want or need to run one.  David eloquently explained why no incentive is the best incentive and you quoted it but apparently can’t understand it.

10 hours ago, Gamblord said:

I called Ripple's behaviour rent seeking to which your reply is nuh-uh. Very convincing.

Your ‘facts’ are merely fuddish beliefs about Ripples bad faith (often based on proponents projection is my opinion) that are not correct.  They are all points that have been endlessly raised and refuted here previously.

There is a downturn and now the fud returns.  This cycle is so predictable that I wish I could monetise it.

No, Ripple won’t “dump” XRP but I see no point in trying to convince you of that so I will bow out now.

39 minutes ago, BillyOckham said:

The fact is that there are enough people who need, or want, to run a node that it has managed  65 million immutable settlements and as usage grows so too will that number of rare entities who want or need to run one.  David eloquently explained why no incentive is the best incentive and you quoted it but apparently can’t understand it.

Fact is, that most UNLs are unknown (their motives and business they do) and also at least 6 months ago since I checked there were no clear rules to become UNL.

Fact is, that without Ripple and its XRP stash, XRPL pretty much dead.

Even Ripple is mostly successfull because of XRP selling, remove that and Swelling event will be at local Kebab.

5 minutes ago, xrp-nuke said:

Fact is, that most UNLs are unknown (their motives and business they do) and also at least 6 months ago since I checked there were no clear rules to become UNL.

Even Ripple is mostly successfull because of XRP selling, remove that and Swelling event will be at local Kebab.

You should spend a little more time reading the other threads about news of developments across the XRP ecosystem.  Ripplenet, and Ripple's influence and participation at the very highest levels in planning the transition for FI to go digital, is a big success and by extension the XRPL will gather usage as liquidity seeps into the corridors that are being primed for use.   We also have the launch of FLR, NFTs and DeFi across the XRP ecosystem.

2 minutes ago, Julian_Williams said:

You should spend a little more time reading the other threads about news of developments across the XRP ecosystem.  Ripplenet, and Ripple's influence and participation at the very highest levels in planning the transition for FI to go digital, is a big success and by extension the XRPL will gather usage as liquidity seeps into the corridors that are being primed for use.   We also have the launch of FLR, NFTs and DeFi across the XRP ecosystem.

This just proves that XRP and XRPL is solely driven by Ripple. Nothing wrong here, except when come some people with statement "everyone can run node and develop on XRPL" forgetting part that noone will have Ripples huge advantage in terms of getting XRP. Want XRP for bussiness? Go through VC wing of Ripple wtv name it has now.

Lets be honest running node is the business. 

And non-incentive said by David, presumes that incentive comes elsewhere. But again, even Ripple cant find that incentive yet without XRP after 10 years or so.

37 minutes ago, xrp-nuke said:

So without XRP Ripple is dead but Ripple is successful because of XRP. Which is it you kimichi FUD troll

1 hour ago, xrp-nuke said:

This just proves that XRP and XRPL is solely driven by Ripple. Nothing wrong here, except when come some people with statement "everyone can run node and develop on XRPL" forgetting part that noone will have Ripples huge advantage in terms of getting XRP. Want XRP for bussiness? Go through VC wing of Ripple wtv name it has now.

Lets be honest running node is the business. 

And non-incentive said by David, presumes that incentive comes elsewhere. But again, even Ripple cant find that incentive yet without XRP after 10 years or so.

Have you watched teh DS interview I posted yesterday - You must not lock people into innovations they do not ask for or demand, you have to get them wanting what you make.  He see NFT's as a bit of a breakthrough in this respect.  But the over all message is that DS understands his customers and is very responsive.  I think he is unique in crypto in working this way and I trust him to capture the market as it emerges. 

1 hour ago, Julian_Williams said:

Have you watched teh DS interview I posted yesterday - You must not lock people into innovations they do not ask for or demand, you have to get them wanting what you make.  He see NFT's as a bit of a breakthrough in this respect.  But the over all message is that DS understands his customers and is very responsive.  I think he is unique in crypto in working this way and I trust him to capture the market as it emerges. 

Do not understand how it relates to what I said?