After some research it seems Uphold uses the same protocol of passing the buck and blaming the client. They allowed 1210 coins to be stolen from my Uphold account, never sent me an email to ok new device and pretty much tell me sorry, too bad, change your password. At first I was expecting to  e reimbursed immediately by Uphold while they followed the addresses and located thief. I though each coin we owned could be followed forever now I hear about spinners or scramblers disrupting tracking. The BBB is of no help as it seems Uphold and them work closely at non resolve and uphold absolution. How can we let this platform exist in our community where their business culture is one on passing the blame which clearly lies on them. I would appreciate any knowledge of a  lass action suit I can join to help me get Uphold to take responsibility, secure their site, and make restitution for allowing coins to  e stolen.

Your uphold user support request (#1296330) has been updated:

Uphold Support (Uphold Support) 

Apr 29, 2021, 4:22 PM GMT+1 

Hi Brian,

We’re extremely sorry to learn that your credentials have been compromised and appreciate how upsetting this must be for you. 

I have now reviewed what took place within the relevant timeframe as well as the details you kindly provided: 

There have been successful logins from different countries and devices than your usual location. 

When someone tries to log in using the correct credentials (username & password) on a new device, as an additional security measure we send an email ( no you did not)to the registered address linked to your account. 

The email states that we need you to verify that it’s you logging in. Our records show that this email was opened by someone in control of your email account  and that the link “Yes, it’s me” was clicked to verify your identity. This allowed the login to take place. 

Can you confirm whether your email account or device were also compromised as it seems likely to us that they were given the verification logs?

To validate any withdrawal, a logged in user has to enter a verification code which changes every 30 seconds, and is visible only in the Authenticator App you used during setup. I recommend opening a police investigation into the matter with local law enforcement, as they can help in determining how your email or device may have been compromised. Uphold will fully cooperate with any police investigation and provide any info and support that we reasonably can.

For security reasons, your account will remain restricted until you let us know it is secure again. We strongly suggest that you start by resetting the password of your Uphold account if you haven’t done so already.

We can also reset your 2-Step Verification and/or change the email address linked to your account if you believe they were compromised.

Again, I am very sorry to have to deliver this news. 

Please let us know how you’d like to proceed and if you have any other questions that we can help you with.

Sincerely,

Samantha and the Uphold Team

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Same firm.  I'm sure there may be others eventually.

I know they are actively or about to get sued by a law firm out of NYC for the fiasco involving Dan Schatt and the Cred Bankruptcy.  You're probably not going to get very far unless your losses were involved in that bankruptcy and/or your material losses were a significant value in USD.  You said 1200 coins, but you didn't specify what.  I know some folks who lost $100 in the bankruptcy of Cred and were ready to sue for it.  They might get $5 back if they are lucky.  Others lost potentially millions... 

16 minutes ago, SlimTim said:

I'm genuinely curious, how were the thieves able to retrieve and send the code sent to your Authenticator App?

Indeed mysterious how the hackers were able - as Uphold claims - to get hold of your @Bpd262 email account and 2FA?

If 2FA wasn't setup the thieves would only have to hack the email account.  There's plenty of cases on social media of people screaming their exchange accounts were hacked but it turns out it was their email that was compromised, not the exchange.

On 4/30/2021 at 5:52 AM, Zedy44 said:

I know they are actively or about to get sued by a law firm out of NYC for the fiasco involving Dan Schatt and the Cred Bankruptcy.  You're probably not going to get very far unless your losses were involved in that bankruptcy and/or your material losses were a significant value in USD.  You said 1200 coins, but you didn't specify what.  I know some folks who lost $100 in the bankruptcy of Cred and were ready to sue for it.  They might get $5 back if they are lucky.  Others lost potentially millions... 

What law firm is going after Uphold? I have been in contact with Sarchek Law firm. Is this the same firm?