Hi all,

I have been lurking for years, but this is my first topic. I have bought XRP at several points in the past years based on gut feeling. With the bull market upon us my focus has shifted to taking profits, while trying to maintain a big part of my stash in case the price really goes berserk.

Everybody has different expectations of the price, different goals and different hopes. I am wondering which selling strategies you guys have so you don't end up dragging those heavy bags for years if the bull market suddenly comes to an end, whether it is ended by a massive spike like in 2018, a slow but sudden decline or a black swan event.

Until now I only had 2 selling points set in stone:

• 20% around 1.9 USD to take out my initial investment
  • 20% around 2.9 USD to take first profits

The first sell order was triggered mid-april which made the drops in the past weeks easier to digest. I was even lucky enough to scoop a big part back up just above 1 USD.
This morning I was setting up the rest of my selling points which I intend to following rigorously because you'll never for sure when the next drop is coming and when it's going back up.

My current idea is to take out a fixed amount in USD, every price rise of 1 USD starting at 2.9 USD. So for example, you have a stash of 10000 XRP and you take out 5000 USD every rise of 1 USD. This results in a selling spree of smaller amounts which can be followed for a long time (and also a longer time in the higher price range as you will be selling less XRP to get to your target amount).

A similar plan, but with % rise is also a possibility but will result in either more selling in the lower price range (when having a low % rise set) or taking a "bigger risk" in the higher price ranges because it will have to rise more in USD (when having a bigger % rise set).

Do you guys have certain plans ready and willing to share?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi all, I have been lurking for years, but this is my first topic. I have bought XRP at several points in the past years based on gut feeling. With the bull market upon us my focus has shifted to

I haven't panicked about the price since I got in early december 2017. Probably because I wasn't overinvested (if I lost it all, it wouldn't have affected my life - except for having to bear the worst

Very realistic strategy.  Like you I do not want to sell everything, but guess I should sell at least 70% before it crashes, and rebuy some cheaper about a year later.

@Reco First, an exit strategy is a really good sign of a smart and mature investor. So ... good for you!

Quantitatively defining the steps that move you toward your goal is how you reach it regardless of which market your in :-)

I have similar sell points, but just on the other side of $2 and $3 ... and of different percentages (because we're talking different numbers.) 

In my mind, those are reasonable price points for overall gains. If ur looking for more trading opportunities to build your XRP position tho, I'd consider price points at the $0.50s as well. 

Good luck! :-D 

56 minutes ago, RobertHarpool said:

@Reco First, an exit strategy is a really good sign of a smart and mature investor. So ... good for you!

Quantitatively defining the steps that move you toward your goal is how you reach it regardless of which market your in :-)

I have similar sell points, but just on the other side of $2 and $3 ... and of different percentages (because we're talking different numbers.) 

In my mind, those are reasonable price points for overall gains. If ur looking for more trading opportunities to build your XRP position tho, I'd consider price points at the $0.50s as well. 

Good luck! :-D 

Thanks for the reply!

I am not really looking to add to my xrp stash. I'm pretty happy with the amount I assembled in the past years.

My goal now is to try to get as much profit from this bull run, while decreasing the risk of missing on profits when the run suddenly stops. It's an exercise each of us need to for our own. You need to be content with the sales you make, doesn't matter if the price keeps rising or drops like a rock.

At one point the bull season will end and it will all come crashing down. That's the time I will reinvest the profits I'm taking now to build up my xrp stash again.

2 hours ago, Reco said:

My current idea is to take out a fixed amount in USD, every price rise of 1 USD starting at 2.9 USD. So for example, you have a stash of 10000 XRP and you take out 5000 USD every rise of 1 USD. This results in a selling spree of smaller amounts which can be followed for a long time (and also a longer time in the higher price range as you will be selling less XRP to get to your target amount).

Hi Reco, really like this idea. Personally I have a few targets but I am (fairly) confident in my ability to ride the market so I will see what happens when we get to certain levels. 

2 hours ago, Reco said:

The first sell order was triggered mid-april which made the drops in the past weeks easier to digest.

A BTC friend of mine says taking some profits is what gives you the strength to hold to the higher prices and I think this is right. Seems like that is your experience too.

8 minutes ago, Seoulite said:

A BTC friend of mine says taking some profits is what gives you the strength to hold to the higher prices and I think this is right. Seems like that is your experience too

Seems that XRP friends does not share that idea 🤣🤣🤣

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Seoulite said:

Hi Reco, really like this idea. Personally I have a few targets but I am (fairly) confident in my ability to ride the market so I will see what happens when we get to certain levels. 

A BTC friend of mine says taking some profits is what gives you the strength to hold to the higher prices and I think this is right. Seems like that is your experience too.

I haven't panicked about the price since I got in early december 2017. Probably because I wasn't overinvested (if I lost it all, it wouldn't have affected my life - except for having to bear the worst investment in a life time). But after I sold my first slice, I had a feeling I didn't have before, some sort of inner peace that I did not need to check the price all the time. Like I said in another thread, I would recommend it to everybody in need of some peace of mind.

Now holding to the higher price range is way easier than before, because I already have a large part of my initial investment back on my bank account.

I can understand your "riding the market" strategy as you can expect a few things by looking at the charts. I do believe however that this is still a risk to be left holding your **** when something unexpected happens. I'm pretty certain that in 5 years the price will be higher than today, but I'm also pretty certain that in between there will be a huge crater again. I don't want to miss the chance to load up again in that crater with the profits made on the rise we're encountering now.

Edited by Reco
30 minutes ago, ManBearPig said:

have sold 5% already @ 1.30.

At $3.30 I will recoup what’s left to get my initial investment another 5%.

Then dollar cost average out 65% between 4 and 10 dollars.

Hold 25% for either a moonshot or another 4 years of holding.

Very realistic strategy.  Like you I do not want to sell everything, but guess I should sell at least 70% before it crashes, and rebuy some cheaper about a year later.