Brad Garlinghouse Interview - SEC Ripple Lawsuit, XRP, ODL, CBDCs, Bitcoin

35 minutes ago, NightJanitor said:

It's almost like Ripple is a separate entity from XRP and has its own interests, some of which align w/those of XRP holders and some which, to hear most XRP holders, don't.

Deaton's point, exactly... :)

About to write the same thing. You nailed it. And yet some people still don't!!!

"But Brad this, Brad that, go away Brad". Come on guys....;)

14 minutes ago, HenrySeldom said:

Will your opinion change if the case against him is dismissed? Cause it really looks like it's heading in that direction. 

No, not at all.  Whether he has broken a law is irrelevant.  I think as CEO he is in a very special position and he should not have been trading in his "own" stock (I use "" because I know XRP are not technically Ripple shares/stock).  A man in such a public and trusted position is very well paid to do a job, and he should be seen to be working for the success of his company first.   If he cannot do that he should be removed and replaced with someone more committed to his work.

2 hours ago, Julian_Williams said:

I sat through it all- sorry my opinion is unchanged, they need to change Brad.  I used to think he was collegiate and a good chooser of staff, and as CEO that was all he needs to do.  I think it might have been enough, but Brad is too repetitive, short on vision and his sales of XRP into the bear market were simply too big a conflict of interest to be brushed under the carpet.  Ripple need a new face. 

I felt I learnt nothing new from this interview, and surely there were some insights he could have shared without talking about the details of the case.  He should have taken more time to thank Jon Deaton who seems to have saved his company's bacon

You know where I stand on this my friend, 100% agree with you.  He should have been gone a while ago to me Brad is bad for business now even though I think ripple has an excellent product and service to offer Brad will continue to be the albatross around Ripples neck.  I think it would only be wise after the SEC fiasco to ask him to step down. The PR and perception around brad is not good and that will be a barrier in the future when it comes to trust with some entities and if there is any aspirations on going public.  I know this may not seem like a good idea to some but it is what it is.  "Brad's watch now he has to own the good with the bad."   The only way I see him coming out intact moving forward is if the good becomes astronomical whether it be price action, partnerships, something huge needs to happen under his watch.  The current price action does not suffice.  Brads relationship is soiled with the very entities he will have to deal with to bring Ripple Public, hopefully with the reign of Gensler we get a new start but even with all the good news and the SEC not being able to go deeper into his finances the question will always be out there for some 'Can we trust this guy?" and that guy represents Ripple so the question then becomes can we trust ripple and ODL, XRP!!  Time for a fresh start of some sort.  I tell you what if Ripple were a publicly held company there would be a good chance he would have been out by now but you have to love how he played it out that Ripple was destined for an SEC lawsuit to kind of shift the blame more so to Ripple than the actions of characters in Ripples management and board pretty crafty guy.  Brad was preaching about a possible incoming lawsuit early on, I think this was more so because he knew his sales would raise red flags but he continued anyway, 

Edited by RikkiTikki_is_Back

I might be off here on a few points so please feel free to correct my lack of understanding, we all know BTC mining is horrible for the world and un sustainable right? that said the real damage will end as soon as BTC is fully mined correct? Brad mentions how bullish he is on BTC while at the same time reminding the world of the ecological cost, I agree he might also be playing to the larger BTC community looking for a little "between friends support"  One final point, I feel like we all kind of see that the crypto market on a whole is not really tied to the fundamentals  behind a coin right now or real world utility and use cases but more so almost 100% speculative, and in a large part tied to BTC.  If we know that most of the price action for a good portion of the market is tied to the price of BTC  is it not a good thing for Brad to be bullish on BTC knowing that a higher BTC will probably mean a higher XRP?  is he not still helping each of us and the price of XRP being bullish on BTC?

45 minutes ago, Julian_Williams said:

No, not at all.  Whether he has broken a law is irrelevant.  I think as CEO he is in a very special position and he should not have been trading in his "own" stock (I use "" because I know XRP are not technically Ripple shares/stock).  A man in such a public and trusted position is very well paid to do a job, and he should be seen to be working for the success of his company first.   If he cannot do that he should be removed and replaced with someone more committed to his work.

Is there a German word for the feeling that "someone, somewhere has done something of which I do not approve!" or are you just trying to force me to coin the term? :)

1 minute ago, brianwalden said:

The way you guys talk, it's no wonder the SEC thinks XRP is a security. Brad is the CEO of Ripple. Either XRP is a security and therefore Brad has a duty to always do what's in XRP-holders' best interests or it isn't and he doesn't.

Someone had to say it...again...

24 minutes ago, brianwalden said:

The way you guys talk, it's no wonder the SEC thinks XRP is a security. Brad is the CEO of Ripple. Either XRP is a security and therefore Brad has a duty to always do what's in XRP-holders' best interests or it isn't and he doesn't.

simply wrong

25 minutes ago, brianwalden said:

Ripple is currently the biggest holder of XRP, so what the CEO says and does, matters for small holders of XRP.

That itself does not make it a security.

In fact, when the XRP community is really not satisfied with how Ripple manages their 50 billion XRP, they can just vote them out with a simple amendment that disables their escrows completely.

That is why XRP is not a security, and we can still critizize Ripple and it's CEO all day long.

2 hours ago, lucky said:

OR we’ve been all lied to, climate crisis is a hoax, and there is unlimited energy in the cosmos that the elite can somehow tap in to.

a climate hoax doesn't require unlimited energy

3 minutes ago, elias said:

a climate hoax doesn't require unlimited energy

True, but if there is unlimited energy, THEN climate is not an issue.

I

18 minutes ago, lucky said:

WTF??? Can you rationalize what you just said??? Because I am reading it as if you said if there was\is unlimited coal and we just keep burning it climate is not an issue??? Am I correct??

20 minutes ago, lucky said:

This is not the subject of this thread, but you are misrepresenting the problem. Global warming is caused by the release of greenhouse gasses that trap energy in the atmosphere and oceans and cause warming. We can use as much energy as we want, providing it is taken from non greenhouse emitting sources (and we assume not damaging in other ways). Oil/Gas/Coal were created using solar energy over a period of hundreds of millions of years and the carbon store we are releasing by burning them is only renewable over a similar time scale. 

12 minutes ago, jbjnr said:

This is not the subject of this thread, but you are misrepresenting the problem. Global warming is caused by the release of greenhouse gasses that trap energy in the atmosphere and oceans and cause warming. We can use as much energy as we want, providing it is taken from non greenhouse emitting sources (and we assume not damaging in other ways). Oil/Gas/Coal were created using solar energy over a period of hundreds of millions of years and the carbon store we are releasing by burning them is only renewable over a similar time scale. 

Reluctant to reply, as I also don't want to hijack this thread, but I was referring to *really* unlimited energy, of the kind that Tesla may have discovered. Cosmic energy, which can also be used for cooling. Also watch this.  I'll leave it at that.

32 minutes ago, RikkiTikki_is_Back said:

I

WTF??? Can you rationalize what you just said??? Because I am reading it as if you said if there was\is unlimited coal and we just keep burning it climate is not an issue??? Am I correct??

Just to explore this further, if coal was unlimited and we just keep burning it, what issue is there with climate?