Ripple acquiring 40% stake in cross border payments hub Tranglo to expand ODL

38 minutes ago, cmbartley said:

Satoshi doesn't own 60% of BTC.

With respect I disagree with the point you are trying to make with that statement.

Implicit in your reply is the assumption that 60% of the supply is “worse” to have in one players hands than 5%.

That seems reasonable at first glance but actually isn’t when you consider why it’s a ‘bad’ thing for one entity to own that much.  The reason why is because that entity might dump that amount in a large sell which would trash the market.

They are both more than big enough to achieve that.  If I’m going to be hit by an rpg then it doesn’t make it worse if I’m shot by a howitzer.  I’m dead either way.  Same for this situation.  The world seems completely ok with Satoshi but not Ripple which seems to me to be a failure of understanding.

And that is not even addressing the fact that at current prices the Satoshi wallet is twice more valuable (not that you could ever ‘realise’ that value) than the Ripple wallet.  

So in the most pertinent sense the Satoshi stack is twice as big.

28 minutes ago, BillyOckham said:

With respect I disagree with the point you are trying to make with that statement.

Implicit in your reply is the assumption that 60% of the supply is “worse” to have in one players hands than 5%.

That seems reasonable at first glance but actually isn’t when you consider why it’s a ‘bad’ thing for one entity to own that much.  The reason why is because that entity might dump that amount in a large sell which would trash the market.

They are both more than big enough to achieve that.  If I’m going to be hit by an rpg then it doesn’t make it worse if I’m shot by a howitzer.  I’m dead either way.  Same for this situation.  The world seems completely ok with Satoshi but not Ripple which seems to me to be a failure of understanding.

And that is not even addressing the fact that at current prices the Satoshi wallet is twice more valuable (not that you could ever ‘realise’ that value) than the Ripple wallet.  

So in the most pertinent sense the Satoshi stack is twice as big.

Your argument would be valid if satoshi wallets are active. Which is not the case. They are inactive for years now. Once we see a movement on these wallets one can say that he is worried, because he doesnt know who is behind them ans what is his intension.  

We know now who was dumping 100s millions xrps, so yes, people were concerned with a reason, and that reason was proven to be justified

3 hours ago, Kiwi said:

Ripple is not transparent, they just like to brag about it.

Well back in the beginning they were very transparent on the forums, in fact I think many of the innovations and improvements in articulating XRPL and ODL started I the community and Ripple just refined them. JoelKatz used to reference my comment explaining XRP'S Utility value (on the official forum).

I still have Evan and another employee's cell number, I've had conversations with Welly who was on the board.

The ILP calls are all recorded and open. I know they gave that to the W3C.

Idk I've always thought that they were pretty transparent. Look at PolySign for comparison, that's more "normal".

Edited by KarmaCoverage

31 minutes ago, Kiwi said:

Your argument would be valid if satoshi wallets are active. Which is not the case. They are inactive for years now. Once we see a movement on these wallets one can say that he is worried, because he doesnt know who is behind them ans what is his intension.  

We know now who was dumping 100s millions xrps, so yes, people were concerned with a reason, and that reason was proven to be justified

You are conflating two seperate discussions in one.   The sales you refer to are a seperate discussion unrelated to ‘whether Ripple holdings are more of a worry than Satoshi holdings’.

Whether the wallet is ‘active’ is not germane because it’s the potential that creates the concern.

Also the sales that worry you are not significant in my opinion,  but I won’t discuss that because it’s become more of a faith based discussion than a rational one at this point.

3 hours ago, Kiwi said:

By that logic, the nukes in Russia and the USA are not active, so they’re not a concern, right? 

7 hours ago, Neurotoxin said:

By that logic, the nukes in Russia and the USA are not active, so they’re not a concern, right? 

I am not concerned, are you? If any of them use the missiles, world will pretty much be done with humans. This is very unlikely to happen. Just like Ripple unloading everything they got.

If there is a tool (liquidity), which neautralizes the impact of dropping a bomb (dumping xrp or btc), one with bigger amount of that tool (that is bitcoin because it has higher liquidity) will easier absorb the bomb (dump on the market). This makes btc less scary.

Btc = significant impact, unlikely to happen

Xrp= profound impact, very unlikely to happen

This is how I look into this, thank you

3 hours ago, Kiwi said:

I am not concerned, are you? If any of them use the missiles, world will pretty much be done with humans. This is very unlikely to happen. Just like Ripple unloading everything they got.

If there is a tool (liquidity), which neautralizes the impact of dropping a bomb (dumping xrp or btc), one with bigger amount of that tool (that is bitcoin because it has higher liquidity) will easier absorb the bomb (dump on the market). This makes btc less scary.

Btc = significant impact, unlikely to happen

Xrp= profound impact, very unlikely to happen

This is how I look into this, thank you

That was well said,  and I understand and agree with most of it.  

I only disagree with the idea that the liquidity could absorb the impact of a Satoshi dump.  Mt Gox liquidator sell was immensely smaller and it crashed the market.  Even with the massively increased liquidity a Satoshi dump would destroy the market for a long long while in my opinion.

I do agree they are both unlikely events and I don’t worry about either.

I think Satoshi has passed away and I think it’s extremely unlikely Ripple would crash dump.