Ripple acquiring 40% stake in cross border payments hub Tranglo to expand ODL

46 minutes ago, cmbartley said:

I still think that Ripple owns way too much XRP and that that remains an existential threat. That said, I agree with your read here. It was heartening to see them continuing to pursue their vision without hiding under a rock in light of the ongoing lawsuit.

Agree. This is great news, but it does concern me that it's such a huge proportion of the XRP ecosystem in a few hands. I was hoping for news on the now-mythical "market making incentive" mechanism that was supposed to be an open (to all users/markets), fair, ungameable, XRPL-based distributed solution to XRP distribution while adding liquidity. 

Years later... still nothing. Maybe they wanted to keep it proprietary and private for now. Or maybe there are bugs to iron, or even missing pieces like Flare/stablecoins were required.

Edited by thinlyspread
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Quite possibly the best news we've had for a couple of years. Since the MoneyGram partnership ended and ODL dried up, there has been very little reason to expect xrp to rise in value and fulfill its p

To be clear, ODL has always been the primary motivation for Ripple's payments play. That was literally why they wanted to use XRPL. Everything else in between is what they were forced to do because th

1 hour ago, cmbartley said:

I still think that Ripple owns way too much XRP and that that remains an existential threat. That said, I agree with your read here. It was heartening to see them continuing to pursue their vision without hiding under a rock in light of the ongoing lawsuit.

What do you think of the idea that's being floated around (not by Ripple, just online) of using the escrow in a similar way to Flare's reward pools? i.e. incentivising participation in the system through automated dispensing of xrp.

Someone over on reddit just pointed out that in the last 24 hours, ODL for USD-PHP has increased by quite a lot: https://utility-scan.com/#/dashboard

Could this be directly related to the new Tranglo partnership/acquisition? According to Crypto News Flash, Ripple was quoted saying that Tranglo is expected to “play a critical role in supporting existing corridors – such as the Philippines – and launching new ODL corridors within the current network.” Obviously public announcements come along only after substantial groundwork has been completed, but still it seems like an awfully quick turn-around considering the statement was made only the day before. Either way, it's nice to see volume picking up along any corridor, for any reason.

Edit: Scratch that. Looks like it was due to a bug that was fixed:

So not quite as exciting as I was hoping.

Edited by efFofexX
On 3/30/2021 at 3:05 PM, JASCoder said:

FWIW - RL cannot just vote to funnel all the escrow zerps to stakeholders, or payout as dividends or something.

The lion's share of their original gifted stack is required to be used to support the growth and health of the XRP ecosystem (I'm paraphrasing, someone else here has posted the details). 

So by this measurement, the 50b being in RL's hands should be more beneficial than any other holder, no ? 

Oh sure they can. They can simply hand over the master keys to the accounts set to receive the escrow funds to a 3rd party. 

On 3/30/2021 at 4:49 PM, Seoulite said:

What do you think of the idea that's being floated around (not by Ripple, just online) of using the escrow in a similar way to Flare's reward pools? i.e. incentivising participation in the system through automated dispensing of xrp.

This has been discussed many times over many years. Ripple were not interested. Seems that Ripple wants to be an XRP central bank. 

27 minutes ago, cmbartley said:

This has been discussed many times over many years. Ripple were not interested. Seems that Ripple wants to be an XRP central bank. 

It does seem though that the focus of new project has shifted from rewarding miners to rewarding holders/participants in the system. It's a long shot but it might help push Ripple in that direction.

22 hours ago, RikkiTikki_is_Back said:

If I dealt in feelings I would be B!tching and Moaning like a lot of people, feelings and investing don't go together that's how you separate the wheat from chaff

On 3/30/2021 at 9:42 PM, RikkiTikki_is_Back said:

Why do I keep getting the feeling that when smart contracts are brought to the XRP ledger via Flare we might hear the sonic boom of take off. [...]

I have a really hard time making sense of what you are saying, I was literally quoting you referencing your feelings of a "sonic boom of take off".

Also, I think it is better to recognize that we are all influenced by our feelings and that none of us are 100% rational. Though, I do agree that it would be preferable to stay 100% rational, I just think that it is an unrealistic proposition. Accept your feelings, analyze your feelings rationally and acknowledge that you can't stop yourself from feeling these things. However, you can and should stop yourself from acting only based of what you are feeling.

1 hour ago, JASCoder said:

What I find unrealistic, is the concept of producing a sonic boom at take off.

A sonic boom occurs when an air displacing object exceeds the speed of sound.

The g-forces in play to take off at such a speed would turn any crew aboard into red jelly. 

Just sayin ;) 

Just remember guys: no matter what we look like, no matter what we believe, when we go from zero to mach speed in a second, we're all red jelly on the inside.

On 3/30/2021 at 6:44 PM, thinlyspread said:

but it does concern me that it's such a huge proportion of the XRP ecosystem in a few hands. I was hoping for news on the now-mythical "market

I dont understand why people arnt concerned about "satoshi" owning so much BTC. I mean, nobody knows who this mysterious player in the BTC market is.

But somehow Ripple being transparent, and a known entity is unacceptable.

It's like 2+2=🍓