Great news for victims of the Gatehub hack?

The Gatehub affair continues to deliver.
For the first time in France, the Agency for the Management and Recovery of Seized and Confiscated Assets (French AGRASC) will auction 611 bitcoins on March 17. For probably more than €24M (about $30M)

https://cyberguerre.numerama.com/10865-comment-les-bitcoins-du-casse-de-gatehub-pourraient-enrichir-letat-francais.html

French justice.... slow but still moving forward so it seems.

• 3 weeks later...

FWIW...this new ICO is using an email address I only used/created for one of my account that was hacked  ref. GateHub

https://pointpay.io/

How did they get "this" email?

If the "French Justice" @kanaas is monitoring this...they should maybe take a look...

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Malloy said:

FWIW...this new ICO is using an email address I only used/created for one of my account that was hacked  ref. GateHub

https://pointpay.io/

How did they get "this" email?

If the "French Justice" @kanaas is monitoring this...they should maybe take a look...

Actually the Gatehub hack started with the hack of credentials, including email addresses (from there they could decipher a bunch of secret keys)
Those personal identity databases have been circulating over the web (including on this board I believe)

By using such a set of stolen emails to advertise, these devs make their pointpay instant suspicious...

Edited by kanaas

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 2ndtimearound said:

I'm confused - shouldn't those who had their crypto stolen get it back from the French legal system/government/whoever is holding the stolen crypto?

This is only possible after all legal proceedings have been completely closed. Until then, a suspect is in principle not guilty and there is a theoretical chance that he will get his goods back. That is the reason why the French justice itself is keeping these goods in custody for the time being

Edited by kanaas

On 3/28/2021 at 4:33 PM, kanaas said:

This is only possible after all legal proceedings have been completely closed. Until then, a suspect is in principle not guilty and there is a theoretical chance that he will get his goods back. That is the reason why the French justice itself is keeping these goods in custody for the time being

Thanks for clearing that up.  I'm a bit trigger-happy when it comes to the idea of governments confiscating things :D