Voting to change the token name and symbol?

10 hours ago, stickynoodle69 said:

Is it possible that we can change the name of the token and symbol?  I recall hearing that we could technically vote and burn all XRP's in Jed's wallet. Why not vote and change the name of the XRP token and maybe even symbol? It would make another strong point that XRP is decentralized if decisions as such can be made by the community, not controlled by the company Ripple.

I would keep the ticker "XRP" but change the R and P to Rising Phoenix.

Symbol would be the same "X" (primarily because the symbolism) but it'll be on the chest of a phoenix.

Drops replaced with joules (measurement of heat)

Reason behind keeping XRP is to avoid issues with coding and stuff. I'm  no programmer so not sure.

Another idea is to keep the water theme. Maybe change the ticker to XLD for "X Liquid"

Thoughts?

How about the shape of a noodle?

30 minutes ago, thinlyspread said:

Anyway, I'm not a graphic artist else I'd do the edits myself. 

To be honest Ripple's approach is standard business practice. And we are talking about such a minor issue.

Having worked on many open-source project from within large and small corporations, any investment in terms of engineering or marketing requires a business case. A justification that clarifies why the work needs to be done and why they (and nobody else) need to do it.

Companies often stick to basic enablement. This means that they implement the minimal features that *they* require to do a particular job. Companies are fine investing in this because it directly helps their business. The only reason they would go above and beyond the call of duty to improve a community, open-source project is if they face headwind from the open-source community. Typically, if they struggle to get their changes accepted, they are likely to invest in relationship building and invest in contributions that do not directly support their mission. And even then, they will invest their efforts in the issues that are the most burning in the eyes of the community that involve the people they seek to influence.

Anything else is left in the hands of the open-source community and is not being worked on.

So. Why should Ripple pay any money to polish this logo? They already did the basic enablement by creating it. How is tweaking it going to help them be more successful as a business? Will that make them money? No. Is this a high profile challenge that would make the community happy? No. They have absolutely no reason to do it.

Anybody, including yourself, can do it. If in 2 years, nobody from the community has picked this up, it just confirms that Ripple is right to do nothing. Because nobody gives a flying f*ck about it. If you are a fan of XRP and this is such a big problem in your eyes, surely over the course of 2.5 years since the problem was raised, you could have spent 4h of your time to learn Inkscape and do it? I can assure you that if you spend 3h45min to learn Inkscape, you can fix the design in 15min.

Edited by Troote
2 hours ago, Troote said:

So. Why should Ripple pay any money to polish this logo? They already did the basic enablement by creating it. How is tweaking it going to help them be more successful as a business? Will that make them money? No. Is this a high profile challenge that would make the community happy? No. They have absolutely no reason to do it.

Anybody, including yourself, can do it. If in 2 years, nobody from the community has picked this up, it just confirms that Ripple is right to do nothing. Because nobody gives a flying f*ck about it. If you are a fan of XRP and this is such a big problem in your eyes, surely over the course of 2.5 years since the problem was raised, you could have spent 4h of your time to learn Inkscape and do it? I can assure you that if you spend 3h45min to learn Inkscape, you can fix the design in 15min.

Someone's got their knickers in a twist. Calm down. 

2 hours ago, thinlyspread said:

Someone's got their knickers in a twist. Calm down. 

Oh yeah? Well *I* voted for Kotos.

Crypto logos are often terrible. That seems to be what make them unique and recognizable.

I mean the Ethereum logo is a rip off of The Sims for crying out loud.

I think a lot of people here are missing my main point? If  the community (not Ripple) makes a big change to the XRPL (i.e. changing XRP ticker to something else) that would prove (or add more proof) that Ripple is not in full control over the XRPL and that it's not centralized. Right?